Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

I need TIRE replacement help - have 05 MC

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:41 AM
imaginemini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need TIRE replacement help - have 05 MC

I have an O5 MC with original run-flats. 41,000 miles on them. I'm tired of the rough ride plus just need to replace them anyway. My Mini dealer will only recommend new run-flats. I don't want them.

I need a good, all season tire that will have effective traction in the snows of northeast Ohio. The run-flats are not great in snow, in my experience. Anybody got some recommendations for me?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a fan of runflats or all seasons either. I had a set of Kumho AGX all seasons that I drove in the snow a few times. They were ok, but not as good as my dedicated show tires that I swap to when the snow flies.

I think your dealer is way off base. They may be steering you toward another set of runflats for 2 reasons, either they want to make big $$$ selling you them or they are of the mistaken belief that your car doesn't have a spare tire & needs them. In fact all Coopers come with spare tires. Switching to a non-runflat makes very good sense. You will love the improvement in ride & handling.

I'd recommend calling Alex at the Tire Rack & asking him his opinions on what all seasons would work best for you.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
First, you will get a lot more attention and info if you post this in the tire and brake section.

I had the same concerns when my RFs went bald.. I did not want to give up the go-kart steering. I chose GY Eagle F-1 A/S. Been very happy with them.. they have a support of some sort in the sidewall that helps keep that quick turn.

Got them at TireRack

YD

Old 07-15-2008, 07:29 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by imaginemini
I have an O5 MC with original run-flats. 41,000 miles on them. I'm tired of the rough ride plus just need to replace them anyway. My Mini dealer will only recommend new run-flats. I don't want them.

I need a good, all season tire that will have effective traction in the snows of northeast Ohio. The run-flats are not great in snow, in my experience. Anybody got some recommendations for me?
If you have runflats they should be 195/55-16.

If you want all season non runflats using stock 16x6.5" rims you can choose
205/50-16 or 205/55-16 assuming you have stock suspension and no plans to lower your MINI.

At tirerack.com you can reach Alex for more info.

Some common tire choices for All Seasons.

In 205/50-16 for Ultra High Performance All Season tires-
(gives very good handling in wet dry or light snow)
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S $97 each 400 treadwear
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S $116 each 400 treadwear
Goodyear Eagle GT (newly released tire) $95 each 400 treadwear
Kumho Ecsta ASX $81 each 420 treadwear

or in High Performanc All Season tires
BF Goodrich Traction T/A V $104 each 440 treadwear

In 205/55-16 for Ultra High Performance All Season tires-
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS $118 each 400 treadwear (good street tire)
Yokohama Advan S.4. $132 each 400 treadwear
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season $114 each 420 treadwear
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S $104 each 400 treadwear
Continental ContiExtremeContact $84 each 400 treadwear
Kumho Ecsta ASX $72 each 420 treadwear
Sumitomo HTR+ $66 each 360 treadwear

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S $119 400 treadwear (good balanced street tire)
Yokohama AVID V4S $99 each 500 treadwear
BF Goodrich Traction T/A H $89 each 440 treadwear
BF Goodrich Traction T/A V $91 each 440 treadwear
Fuzion HRi $72 each 400 treadwear

Those tires higher on each list tend to work better than those listed later for use in snow and for general traction and street comfort.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Faulkin Ziek ZE 912. High performance all season. Remember going wider than stock is not good in snow. This is a very nice feeling / driving tire.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
If you have runflats they should be 195/55-16.

If you want all season non runflats using stock 16x6.5" rims you can choose
205/50-16 or 205/55-16 assuming you have stock suspension and no plans to lower your MINI.

At tirerack.com you can reach Alex for more info.

Some common tire choices for All Seasons.

In 205/50-16 for Ultra High Performance All Season tires-
(gives very good handling in wet dry or light snow)
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S $97 each 400 treadwear
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S $116 each 400 treadwear
Goodyear Eagle GT (newly released tire) $95 each 400 treadwear
Kumho Ecsta ASX $81 each 420 treadwear

BF Goodrich Traction T/A V $104 each 440 treadwear

In 205/55-16 for Ultra High Performance All Season tires-
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS $118 each 400 treadwear (good street tire)
Yokohama Advan S.4. $132 each 400 treadwear
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season $114 each 420 treadwear
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S $104 each 400 treadwear
Continental ContiExtremeContact $84 each 400 treadwear
Kumho Ecsta ASX $72 each 420 treadwear
Sumitomo HTR+ $66 each 360 treadwear

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S $119 400 treadwear (good balanced street tire)
Yokohama AVID V4S $99 each 500 treadwear
BF Goodrich Traction T/A H $89 each 440 treadwear
BF Goodrich Traction T/A V $91 each 440 treadwear
Fuzion HRi $72 each 400 treadwear

Those tires higher on each list tend to work better than those listed later for use in snow and for general traction and street comfort.
I have a 2006 bone stock cabrio that has Pirellis where the fronts are going to need to be replaced in about 4000 miles or so. So looking up all the NAM info now since I don't run my tires until they are unsafe. Was thinking about rotating since my rears have about 15000 miles left. Because I don't drive much, that's saying that my read tires have about three years left on them.

NAM never ceases to amaze me. Hours of info and reading.

Just want to thank you for taking the time to make this detailed post, with prices no less.

Your efforts are appreciated. Only hope that I have been reciprocating and I will continue to do so in areas I know about [or think I know about. ].

I have to run out to the MINI and see exactly what I have on my car.

I am assuming they are not run-flats, but the car has that flat tire monitor button thingy and I thought that was an option that came with runflats.

Obviously, since I have had the car for about six weeks, I have to keep learning about it. Since my tires are great I have not got to understanding the tires or that button, until now.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TerryD
Faulkin Ziek ZE 912. High performance all season. Remember going wider than stock is not good in snow. This is a very nice feeling / driving tire.
Terry, while you are on the subject, I saw those tires for a good price on the Net.

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi

Also good reviews and other members agree with you.

I do not believe in harming the environment and try to contribute to saving it where I can. So I am not inclined to get 4 tires since my rear Pirellis have at least 15,000 miles left [front maybe 3000 to 4000.]

Can I move the Pirellis to the front and put two new 912s on the rear. I know purists and picky types [and borderline obsessive compulsive types] would want to slash my MINI's tires at the thought of mixing brands, but IMHO unless someone puts his nose up to the tires to sniff them, who gives a rat's behind.

But I do know some tires are not supposed to be mixed. If mine are non runflats, can they be mixed, as long as the same two are on the front or rear.

Or do I have to get all four.

I really don't like polluting the land with tires, so if I can put two less tires into the trash heap, I'd prefer that.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 07-18-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See the thread, "Tire suggestions for 06 MCS". It is either above or below your thread if you look soon. It will answer your question.
I would not install just two or mix brands on a Mini or similar car. See the thread and decide. Look at Tire rack's Tire tech info. It will answer every imaginable tire related question, including this one.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TerryD
See the thread, "Tire suggestions for 06 MCS". It is either above or below your thread if you look soon. It will answer your question.
I would not install just two or mix brands on a Mini or similar car. See the thread and decide. Look at Tire rack's Tire tech info. It will answer every imaginable tire related question, including this one.
OK, I will have to do more reading.

My MINI is not an S, by the way. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Chili Pirate
1st Gear
Michael, you could always give the two of your tires to some Mini owner that needs them and buy four new for yourself. It is better to stick with all the same type tires on all four wheels. Rotate them often and you will have an even wear pattern and get better tire milage. The Tire Rack site has a wealth of info for you to absorb. Happy motoring

Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
frankofthenorth
1st Gear
Wow this is great, basically you've confirmed that a tire I want to use, comes in a size acceptable for a stock 16" rim and stock suspension. I have my eye on the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ICELANDER[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]205/55R16 by Green Diamond, a new studless variety which retains studded tire traction by these little crystals embedded in the tire, but doesn't scrape up the road like a regular studded tire would. One of the professors at the University I work at have had them on for as long as they have been available, going on 3 years now, and the tread is still as grippy... so he says anyway. I've always been a Blizzak-er but supposedly you don't even remove the GDTs... I can't wait to try! [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Yay!
[/FONT]

Old 07-20-2008, 07:18 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
Terry, while you are on the subject, I saw those tires for a good price on the Net.

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi

Also good reviews and other members agree with you.

I do not believe in harming the environment and try to contribute to saving it where I can. So I am not inclined to get 4 tires since my rear Pirellis have at least 15,000 miles left [front maybe 3000 to 4000.]

Can I move the Pirellis to the front and put two new 912s on the rear. I know purists and picky types [and borderline obsessive compulsive types] would want to slash my MINI's tires at the thought of mixing brands, but IMHO unless someone puts his nose up to the tires to sniff them, who gives a rat's behind.

But I do know some tires are not supposed to be mixed. If mine are non runflats, can they be mixed, as long as the same two are on the front or rear.

Or do I have to get all four.

I really don't like polluting the land with tires, so if I can put two less tires into the trash heap, I'd prefer that.
Normally you would want to replace tires two or four at a time but sometimes you can replace only one if needed.

Never mix runflats with non runflats. Always use tires of the same size front and rear. Mixing brands is OK. Usually use all Summer or all All Season tires just because the handling is a little different and sidewall stiffness would be different enough.

Always put the best tires on the rear to minimize risk of hydroplaning. Don't let your tread get much less than 4/32" deep for safety reasons. Once the tread gets less than that your stopping distance is much much longer, it isn't worth the risk of an accident.

A base cooper doesn't need the highest performance tires but could do well with a decent Ultra High Performance All Season tire or similar. A grand touring all season tire would work as well.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 AM
Shmoo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Never mix runflats with non runflats. Always use tires of the same size front and rear. Mixing brands is OK. Usually use all Summer or all All Season tires just because the handling is a little different and sidewall stiffness would be different enough.

I wouldn't mix brands. Even if they are both within the same classification (high perf summer, ultra high all season, etc). Different compounds from different companies have different widths, even if listed as a certain size. Difference in sidewall stiffness, footprint, softness will give different handling characteristics. You run autox, so I'm sure you already know what I've stated. But I still wouldn't recommend mix & match.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
UPDATE:

On my situation, only needing two tires, I scored on Craig's List. A MINI owner [not aware of NAM, nor is a member] listed four Pirelli P3000 tires with less than 3000 miles on them, PLUS the stock alloys that are on my car.

Snapped up the tires and rims last Sunday.

The wheels were flawless, looked new. He said they were balanced. But when I put on a set will take them in to get balanced.

I gotta say someone up there is looking after me. What's the odds of finding four like new Pirelli P3000s [that is the brand on my car] and like new alloys, all for $275?

So issues resolved on my end. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 07-23-2008 at 12:19 PM.