Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help- new wheel questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
neoi26
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help- new wheel questions.

Hi everyone.

After three complete sets of dunlop run flats (most developed slow leaks), I finally decided to get non run-flats. This was the easy part, now the hard part, the part I need help with.

1. I looked at TheTireRack site, yet every rim I wanted (5-spoke silver $100-$175) only had 2 or 3 wheels available, I need a whole set. Where else can I look online? Any recomendations on reliable, well stocked and affordable wheel sites.
2. Offset: the rims I liked used my tire size (205/45/17), yet the offset was anywhere from 38 - 42. How will this affect my ride (will it rub, is my tire size compatible, change tire size & etc...)?
3. Assuming I keep the same size tires and change the rim, will the gap btw. the tire and wheel be bigger? Does it change the suspension and ride? Do I have to lower the car to make it look right?

Sorry I have so many questions, I didn't know that picking out new rims could be such a pain in the ***.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
jyarrow
4th Gear
When I bought new wheels and tires I looked through the tirerack site and finally called Alex. He was able to answer all of my questions and recommend wheels that they have in stock. I would guess he could also give you an idea of when they might have the rims you like in stock.

Alex was a great source of information. He didn't seem to be pushing a sale just helping me solve my wheel problems.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
leo@edgeracing.com
Banned
If you are switching from a smaller diameter wheel to a larger one you will see a difference in the ride quality. The tires sidewall must get smaller to compensate for the overall diameter the car has in the smaller sized wheel. This tends to make the ride a bit ruff because the side wall is so thin. A 205/45 is not all that bad, but some people can see it's a bit bumpy.

Leo Barrios
leo@edgeracing.com
800-489-5353 x211
http://www.edgeracing.com

Old 07-25-2008, 02:26 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by neoi26
1. I looked at TheTireRack site, yet every rim I wanted (5-spoke silver $100-$175) only had 2 or 3 wheels available, I need a whole set. Where else can I look online? Any recomendations on reliable, well stocked and affordable wheel sites.
All good sites to look at for the mini in addition to tire rack:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
https://www.edgeracing.com/
http://18racing.com/wheels.html (These are all Rota wheels)

2. Offset: the rims I liked used my tire size (205/45/17), yet the offset was anywhere from 38 - 42. How will this affect my ride (will it rub, is my tire size compatible, change tire size & etc...)?
Stock offset is +45 mm. I would stick to something around there, but there is a decent amount of margin and you will be fine with 38-42 range you mentioned. I wouldn't worry too much about rubbing with a 205 width tire, I have 225s on with no problem. If you want a bit more tire 215/45s would fit as well but be just slightly over the stock diameter.

3. Assuming I keep the same size tires and change the rim, will the gap btw. the tire and wheel be bigger? Does it change the suspension and ride? Do I have to lower the car to make it look right?
I assume you were on 16s before. A larger wheel is always going to hurt your ride quality and raise your unsprung weight keeping everything the same. There still is a lot of differences in tires where it could end up being better riding than stock. Lowering is mostly a preference, it'll more be a factor of what you are using the car and how much you want to spend. I have stuck with stock to stay SCCA GS legal.