Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

OEM to Carbotech Pads: Rotors Need Resurfacing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM to Carbotech Pads: Rotors Need Resurfacing?

I am seriously considering a change to Carbotech Bobcat pads to alleviate the relentless dust given off by the OEM pads on my 07 MCS. I read somewhere in the Carbotech literature that the manufacturer strongly recommends that the rotors be resurfaced prior to bedding in the Carbotech pads.

Is this really necessary? If so, it makes a simple pad change into much more of a project.

Have others successfully changed to Carbotech pads without having to turn rotors?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can really do as you please but the general consensus is any time pads are replaced, rotors should be either cut or in a perfect world, replaced. Getting rotors cut doesn't take more than the time to remove them and 20 minutes for a NAPA or machine shop to turn them on a lathe. It'll probably cost $20/piece. Just an FYI, I know a lot of European OEM's don't cut rotors, they replace only. I'm not sure how MINI is at the dealer.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:51 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Carbotech dealer here to address the question.

Due the Bobcat compound it's harder for it to break thru the corrupted layer that the OEM pad leaves behind. It's also a matter of miles. If the rotors have less then 10K of normal driving you may be OK.

Like Hemi says, it's easy to get them cut at local NAPA just to have the best setup. But do not take too much off, just a very thin layer.

Most MINI dealers replace rotors with pads, that's how MINI designed it to work.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Originally Posted by Diploman
Have others successfully changed to Carbotech pads without having to turn rotors?
and yes they have.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
How does this apply to pads that will be used only for the track? I'm considering the XP-8 and will put them on before a track day and take them off after.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Originally Posted by STLMINI
How does this apply to pads that will be used only for the track? I'm considering the XP-8 and will put them on before a track day and take them off after.
Great question, The XP pads are much tougher then the other CT pads and will break the bad layer in just a few laps. Most XP drivers run the AX or Bobcats off track to prolong rotor life and overall pad life of the XP's too. Some NON-daily drive MINI's run XP pads 100% of the time. The fav combo is XP10 front and XP8 in the rears. The rears are left in all the time.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:41 AM
minimike1
2nd Gear
MORE CT INFO

I concur with autox, my experience with the Bobcat, get them turned or replace the rotors all together. The Bobcat isn't aggressive enough of a compound to work its way through the old pad material on the rotor. The braking was actually worse until I replaced the rotors. (The below mentioned process did not work.) The AX6 and Xp8 are much more aggressive and will eventually get through the old material. Suggestion, take a sander and 80 grit sandpaper and go over the rotors before putting on the AX6 or XP8's, this will help remove a lot of the old pad material and get you closer to having the rotors "clean", spray off with brake clean after sanding. Bed in the pads and enjoy!
FYI, I have discovered recently that the XP8 on a '07 MCS works better as a daily driver than the AX6, not as much cold bite, but less noise and dust than the AX6. I save the AX6 for auto X. Use anti-squeal gel on the back of the pads on installation and it all but eliminates any squealing.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you have slotted rotors turned/re-surfaced?

Can you re-surface the rotor with a RO sander and some fine grit sandpaper?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you have slotted rotors turned/re-surfaced?
Typically any rotor with treatments like slotting or driling isn't recomended to be cut.

Can you re-surface the rotor with a RO sander and some fine grit sandpaper?
You can use garnett paper to cut the transfer film, helping the bedding in process of your new pads. - Take off the shine if you will.

Any form of sanding will not acuratly true the rotor - for instance if you have that 33 style record grooving.

The advanage of a turning on a lathe is that a completely flat and true surface can be achieved, witch a orbital can't .

Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
minimike1
2nd Gear
Rotor resurface

Alex is right. Only turning will make the rotor true again. The sander will only remove some of the pad material. I would not recommend turning cross drilled rotors. You could have slotted rotors done. You don't need much of a turn either. A "skimming" with a fine turn is best. If your garage says they cant do a fine turn their lying, they just don't want to slow the machine down because it takes longer to do it. If that is the case I would find a new garage or parts place. The fine turn makes it like new again. A rough cut actually creates small holes that can get filled with pad material that can lead to other problems. It also wears out your expensive pads faster. Thats always bad.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Old 08-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put Bobcat 1521 pads on my R56 MCS with around 6K miles on it. Didn't do anything than follow the driving break-in process recommended by Carbotech. Haven't had any problems. Braking is smooth and effective.