Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Winter tire 16" thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter tire 16" thoughts...

Blizzak WS-60 195/60R16 vs. Michelin X-Ice 195/55R16

Blizzaks are:
  • 0.8" taller - so better MPG, slower acceleration, slight speedo error due to gearing changes;
  • taller sidewall, so better grip in snow;
  • we should be driving slower in winter anyway (Dec. to Mar. in MA)
  • will fit non-lowered MINIs
  • can't be worse (handling-wise) than 175/65R15s?
  • $348 vs. $456 at TireRack (+shipping)
Philosophy is to have winter tires that best confront the WORST conditions - only 2-3X per winter, but if you slip up it is costly! For the rest of the year have 215/50R16s to go fast on.

Feedback, thoughts?

Anyone done this?

Just go for the Michelins?

Alex?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd suggest you consult with Alex@tirerack.com before getting any tire
195/60-16 for the MINI.

Stock suspension or not that seems too tall for the MINI and still provide enough clearance- what about when you have four people in the car and it's snowing and the snow gets stuck in your wheel arches or worst- ice forms from the snow melting then refreezing.

I'd always suggest looking at 195/55-16.

Why not 205/55-16 if you want taller sidewall and Blizzak tires- Ask Alex.
I know 195mm width would be better but overall fit might be OK considering tire diameter.

I don't think taller tires will necessarily give you better mpg. Depends on many factors. In snow I don't really think you get the best mpg in any case.
Usually winter weather means slower speeds and some congestion due to variable weather.

Handling for 175/65-15 is rather good. Went for a long drive during a MINI Rally today on those stock tires and they did fine. Naturally you can get better tires but there isn't anything really lacking with the stock non runflat tires given a good suspension and the correct driving technique. I use this size tire for daily driving for the last 5 years.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
I'm currently using Mich X-ice and had them for last winter and I'm very happy with them. I don't know the size of 16" I'm using but it's the narrowest tire they have in a 16" size. Take it from someone who drives in the snow (no offense MiniHunne) get as narrow a tire as you can fit (a narrower tire cuts through the snow to the asphalt or ice better) and choose a tire that's snow rated. Most all season tires will do ok in below freezing temps but they tend to get hard and slick the colder it gets.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
irishpunk
3rd Gear
Thanks for both comments.

I will go with the 195s Michelin X-Ice then as I have had them before - and I'll stick to the OE 16" size...

Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're willing to do the size change, the new version of the X-Ice (Xi2) is what alex recommended for my winter 16" tyre.

anything's got to have better ice performance than my old and hard dunlop wintersport M3's. (they were great new, but are hard as stones after 6 years)

Old 11-24-2008, 04:25 AM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by irishpunk
taller sidewall, so better grip in snow;
Why would they grip better with a taller sidewall? I went with 195/55/16, no regrets. I also went runflat as flats in the winter (dark more often, cold) are much more of a problem.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Jagman
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably either tire is fine. Both are good brands. I have Blizzacks on my Lexus RX and they are terriffic! On my 09 MCS I went with Nokian Hakkapeliittas (195-55-16) and am very satisfied so far. I still have to wait for the big snow to really test them out but they get excellent reviews. Also, as a rule thinner tires are better for winter.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:41 PM
DennyG
Neutral
wheels and tires, winter

I was told by the local (Wisconsin) tire shop that he is having difficulty getting some snow tires, because of a new law in Canada that requires about 70% of the provinces to use snow tires in winter. Despite the poor economy, all the local tire stores are very busy after our recent first snow.

He also said that he heard the Tire Rack bought nearly the whole production of some brands such as Blizzak.

Last edited by DennyG; 11-28-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-28-2008, 06:45 PM
DennyG
Neutral
I have never seen a bad review on the Blizzaks, are the Michelins better?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
for this winter, all road vehicles registered in quebec are required to
use winter tires

Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a set of Blizzak WS-50 205/50/16. One of them got a bubble on the side because of a pothole. With lots of tread left on them, I decided to replace 2. I now have 2 WS-50 205/50/16 in the front and 2 Blizzak LM-22 205/55/16. There's slightly bigger about 1/8 of a inch bigger, and there hasn't been any issues. I'll probably replace the front 2 snow tires next winter with the same size LM-22s.

Tire rack ranks Blizzaks as some of the best snow tires, above the X-Ice.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
splattttttt
1st Gear
TireRack had the Michelin Xi2 in 195/55R-16 for $86. (not run flat) when I checked last night, but today they were all gone.
Instead I settled for a set of 4, 195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP RunFlat to use on my queen's 08 MCS. I value her life, so they better be good.
It gets messy here in Boston, and with the economy the way it is, I expect plowing and sanding to be used minimally this winter. Am I right Mr. Gov. Patric?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
corningjeff
1st Gear
Just purchased a package from the Tire Rack. Called them, and the rep indicated both the Blizzaks and Michelins would do well on my S Clubman.

I currently have the OEM 195/55R16 all seasons and wanted tires that:
1) Performed great in the slush, snow & ice of upstate NY winters
2) Provided a little better comfort than the OEM runflats I currently have
3) Do not make a ton of noise - let's face it, road noise dampening is not a mini strength!

With that in mind, TR only had runflat Blizzaks. Of the non-runflats, the rep recommended the X-Ice Xi2's for item #1. Winter tires typically are a little noisier than all seasons, however his opinion was the Xi2's would not be too bad. The size was slightly different (205/50R16), however very similar. So, I ordered the Michelins, although the $125/tire was more than I was hoping for...

For wheels, I decided on the Enkei Performace Series 16x7 WDM's pictured below. I have a Sparkling Silver & black Clubman, so I hope they look good. Again, more $ than I was planning but I couldn't resist the styling. Silver was cheaper but I think the black spokes will better hide the damn brake dust that seems to immediately accumulate on my silver OEM wheels.

I should receive them in about a week (one is on a couple day back order) and will update performace once I take them out in the white stuff.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
i've got the xi2's and they are much quieter than the two sets
of RF's i've used (dunlop wintersport m3's and the stock mini dunlop RF).

the wintersport m3's were particularly loud with a low frequency rumble.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
205/50hr16 blizzak lm-25 with Kazera KZ-X's. just got them from tirerack shipped to me with sensors in them. I just haven'thad time to put them on yet

Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
redevil
2nd Gear
Sorry to go off topic,

but what tire pressure is everyone running with the 205/50/16 winter tires?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
ICubed, I don't notice any noise from my non-RF Dunlop M3s, love 'em even in the dry. That noise may be the RF's heavier sidewall. And they're not hard, though they're only on their 2nd season and I'll likely only get 3.5 seasons out of them. Tires only really have about a 4-5 year life anyway before they get hard, lose grip, etc.

Philosophy check: While equipping a car "to have winter tires that best confront the WORST conditions - only 2-3X per winter", it's definitely possible to sub-optimize everywhere else (thus increasing risk everywhere else) in order to be prepared for the worst 2-3 times. Case in point would be full-tread, heavily lugged studded snows: Noisy, ill-handling brutes everywhere except ice, thereby decreasing vehicle stability and increasing risk for 90+% of driving just to be marginally more capable than a (Blizzak/Alpin/insert winter tire name here) in that last 10%. IMHO, optimize for the majority, be capable & careful in the minority.

One should choose the tire best suited for overall conditions. In Western Mass, that may actually be a full-on snow tire - you guys get dumped on. Here in western PA it's a performance snow in winter (M3, X-ice, Pilot Alpin, etc.) to handle the predominantly cold/wet/slush/ice but give FAR better snow/ice capability than any all-season. Then, an optimized performance all-season or summer tire everywhere else, depending on preferences regarding tire life, ultimate grip/track usage, cold weather stability, etc.

I'm actually leaning toward a UHP all-season as my next "summer" tire just to get some life out of 'em - most tests I've seen do show advantages to summer-only tires, but they're smaller advantages compared to the dramatic advantage of a winter tire over an all-season in winter.

Winter driving school / tire testing at BeaveRun last February

That'd be our MA, Track Toy!

Clubman (brand new to market at the time)

indoor tests...

Last edited by DixonL2; 12-10-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Showing some Mini winter tire testing!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
dixonl2, agree with all your comments

my very old m3 runflats were definitely hard (at 6 years old)
and had a pronounced low frequency rumble.

fantastic tyre in the dry. i ran them all the way into may
since i knew i was replacing them this winter.

the X-Ice Xi2 non-runflats are much quieter and since
the big danger around my parts are people who don't
know how to drive on black ice, a good choice.

winter tires are definitely a good idea since they're
cheaper than my insurance deductible and the increased
premiums due to an accident!!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
splattttttt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lcubed

winter tires are definitely a good idea since they're
cheaper than my insurance deductible and the increased
premiums due to an accident!!
That's a great way to look at it. They pay for them self in a way.
Good post.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:13 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
They pay for themselves in other tangible ways:
- Insurance deductible isn't the only cost of an accident!
- Keep winter wear off your "good" tires
- Keep winter salt/grit/crud off your good wheels
- Peace of mind / safety (some things money CAN buy - like safety!)

...and I wish I could've included the soundtrack of TrackToy and his 250ish HP Mini working his way around the Wilson Circuit above, part throttling it as the sound was muted by the snow, and the sparkle off the sunshine and cold air... wonderful...

Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 AM
bimmerbud
2nd Gear
Has anybody used these guys and wheels? Seem like a great price. Looking to use these w/ winter tires. What about the TMPS (?) inflation sensors which I think I have on my 05 cabrio.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2BSI%26otn%3D4