Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Runflats make little sense!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Jagman
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Runflats make little sense!

I just got my '09 MSC this month equipped with Goodyear All-season tires. I promptly removed them and installed non runflat winter tires, which I am very pleased with here in snowy Central New York. I plan on getting another set of rims and non runflat summer tires in the spring.
While I understand that runflats are installed on the S models because they have no spare, their sole benefit is to allow you to drive to a repair shop for repair or replacement if you have a flat. There is no question that if the S had a spare, they would never be equipped with runflats!
The negatives of runflats are significant:
A. Runflats frequently cannot be repaired and must be replaced.
B. Runflat tires generally offer a harsher ride over non runflats.
C. Runflats are considerably more expensive than non-runflats
D. Handling is clearly better with non-runflats.

In the end, flat tires are pretty rare. If I do get one, my AAA membership offers free towing to home or a repair shop for 100 miles. That should cover 99% of any flat tire incidents. An air pump and a can of fix-a flat will take care of the other 1%.

John D.
09 MCS

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (08-28-2021)
Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 AM
redevil
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't we use roadside assistance that comes with our new Mini's as well to get towed if we needed?

I switched to non-run flat winter tires wow do they ever feel much better to drive on.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The community of Mini Cooper Online (now NAM) came to this conclusion some 6 years ago.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Actually, runflats *can* be repaired, though often shops will resist because they have no way of knowing if/how long they've been used in runflat mode.

For the most part I agree with you, though mobility can have a high value. Deserted country roads, expressways with no meaningful shoulder, traveling cross country, to a job interview or late at night are all situations where runflats might be worth their cost.

I just switched to conventional tires, and I can't say that I notice better ride quality, but they certainly handle better (no surprise, as I went from an all-season to HPS), and I carry a plug kit and a compressor.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:51 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know what all the fuss about comfort was for non-runflats until I took the plunge and went non-runflat. Definite increase in ride comfort! But I think the main reason for the MINI's coming out with run-flats is primarily a saftey issue. For all intensive purposes, being able to drive on a 'wounded' wheel in some isolated area to a safer spot is better than sitting there alone with your car waiting for AAA to come pick you up. Of course there are ways around the flat tire issue(i.e. fix-a-flat, etc.) but technically its safer to have a run-flat tire in the case of a damaged tire than a non-runflat, primarily for those who are not motorist savvy.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not everyone has AAA or is MINI Roadside assistance accessible. Although it is reasonable to say that your labeling of the negatives of runflats as "significant" parallels the thoughts of many on NAM, for the general public this is not necessarily the case. For some the peace of mind knowing that you are unlikely to be stranded with a flat outweighs the negatives you mentioned. I was pissed when I got a flat two weeks after I bought my pre-owned 2003 MCS assuming it had RFTs when it didn't and having to deal with patching it and calling out from work when if I had RFTs I could have gone to work and dealt with the tire later. Some people would see the latter scenario as a luxury and your solution of AAA/compressor/repairkit/time-taken-to-fix-flat as archaic.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Jagman
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the comment about the convenience factor for runflats from Lovethecorners does have validity for those folks who want to avoid the hassle of the AAA/compressor/fix-a-aflat route. It is an understandable but expensive ''peace of mind option' given the cost of runflats and the rarity of flat tires. In the end, I think if the Mini S had a spare, few if any, would ever opt for runflats to avoid a call to AAA. I am still a bit surprised that BMW could not have found a way to incorporate a spare in the 2nd Gen. Mini S. Porsche designed a small collapsible spare in the front of my 911 that is there if I ever need it. There will be a new Generation Mini S in 2012, I will be amazed if it does not have a spare.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM
MBN21
Neutral
Getting rid of RFs, too!

After going through 4 sets of front tires in 30K miles on my 2006 Mini S, I'm switching to non-RFs to see if it can get better milage from them. The right front goes first with the left front having a little tread left. Mini Service says it's my fault (BS) due to the way I drive and the fact that the Mini is front-wheel drive.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the Mini and it is very much fun to drive.

I've had several front-wheel drive vehicles and never had this much trouble with tires. I think it is either the RFs are not very good tires or there is some design problem with the vehicle.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Last edited by MBN21; 11-28-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: miss-spelled word
Old 11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Some people actually like Run-Flats. I'm one of them... however I can appreciate that a lot of people don't.

To speak to the OPs 4 listed negatives of RunFlats:

A. Runflats can often be repaired, depending on where the damage is... you just have to find a shop that isn't afraid to do it (i.e. trained to do it correctly). Besides, most of the types of damage that can't be repaired on a runflat wouldn't be repairable on a non-runflat either.

B. Yes, runflats do generally have a harsher ride... but I didn't buy a Cadillac.

C. Runflats aren't always that much more expensive, for the same model. Case in point - the winter tires I use (Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSports) are available in both runflat and non-runflat versions. Current prices from Tire Rack are: RF $162 Non-RF $179. Personally, I think the extra $17 per tire is absolutely worth it!

D. Handling benefits are subjective. True, non-runflat tires tend to have higher grip limits (since they can flex more), so have better handling at the limit than the same tire in runflat version. However, non-runflats feel "mushy" when changing directions, since their sidewall is not as stiff. I much prefer the instantaneous steering response of runflats when I turn the wheel - a more go-kart feeling in my opinion... and since my MINI is a street vehicle, not a track vehicle... handling at the limit is not really too much of an issue.

I do realize I'm in the minority... I'm just pointing out that there are some people who actually like runflats! Every has to make their own personal judgement call.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM
darmog
4th Gear
I agree with Edge on his points and do prefer the runflats as well. I don't mind the ride at all and like how it turns in slow speed, sharp turns which is where most of my driving is. I know there's a limit to RF's having taken my MINI out to a HPDE event a month after getting it. Tires really do start to slip at higher speed curves so I'm aware of where that line is with the DUnlop RF's. For DD, I'll stick with RF's for convenience and peace of mind. I don't know about you all but if I was stuck somewhere with no cell coverage in bad, wet weather, I'd be happy to just be able to keep on driving on a flat RF rather than try getting out in the rain and mud trying to plug a flat tire. I mean really...you wanna ruin that nice leather coming back in? That said, I'd probably still get a set of wheels with non-run flats if I was going to do autocross or track days. Or even stick with non-rf's in city only driving and go to runflats when I'm going on a long distance trip where I'm unsure if I'll still get cell coverage.