Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Anyone tried General Altimax HP tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Mynewt
I am not liking these HPs at all any more. Ever since I started to slide sideways on a dry on-ramp the other day my confidence in them is shot.

This was a pretty gentle 30 MPH on-ramp getting onto Route 2 here in central Mass. These tires started to break away barely at the 50 mph mark (3rd gear). This is a much lower threshold than any other tire I've had on any car.

And the sidewalls are definitely numbingly squishy. The front end kinda squirms, not carves, under turning force.

I'm looking at my other options.

Sorry to hear they are not working out...
I guess having a set of UHP's on my 16's, waiting to go has made me worry/focus less on the negatives and more on the Pluses of this tire....
So far I have been pretty happy...some tight ramps 25+ the post limit...no squeel or slides (93/495, concord street+rt26).
Extreme 90 degree turns at slow speed...can feel the traction difference...but I don't tend to make 90 turns at 30 mph...LOL...don't need to find a bit of sand and slide into a pole....but getting a GrandTouring tire as opposed to a Hp or UHP DOES have a price. Maybe I just kinda expected it.
Three questions...do you know what PSI was set on the tires? Maybe a couple PSI more to tune the feel a bit?
And any chance your struts are worn a bit... giving you a very soft feel, maybe hindering traction?
Do you know off hand WHICH Speed rating you got? I know tireRack had BOTH in my size when I was looking...for about $1 difference.
If you do dump them...are you within the trade them period many shops offer?!
55,000 Mile Limited Treadwear WARRANTY - All H Rated
40,000 Mile Limited Treadwear WARRANTY - All V Rated
45 Day Free Trial
And one dumb question...the tires say HP and NOT RT on the sidewall...general makes another longer wearing tire, similar tread, the RT...

Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
~

So I traded the generals in for a set of Yokohama Avid Envigors last night. More on that after this:

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Three questions...do you know what PSI was set on the tires? Maybe a couple PSI more to tune the feel a bit?
I did tune the pressure a bit, but it only changed the way they dissatisfied, it didn't make them more satisfactory. I went from 32 to 37 to 42 all around and it did get less squishy, but only to become more bouncy.

I didn't have another traction scare since that onramp, but then again, I didn't push it again.

And any chance your struts are worn a bit... giving you a very soft feel, maybe hindering traction?
No, I replaced front struts and strut mounts about a year ago (all OEM parts) and replaced the rears (with whatever Greasey's uses) last fall. And while they were in there, I had them install a one-inch rear sway bar (23mm) which they set, and I continue to run, on the full/stiff setting.

Do you know off hand WHICH Speed rating you got? I know tireRack had BOTH in my size when I was looking...for about $1 difference.
They were H rated.

And one dumb question...the tires say HP and NOT RT on the sidewall...general makes another longer wearing tire, similar tread, the RT...
They were definitely the HP version.

As for the new Yokohama's, I went back to the stock size (175/65/15). I've come full circle and am very excited to have the Yokos on the car now. Without the added rolling mass, it accelerates more readily (better throttle response) and feel much more nimble than the heavier/wider 185s, 195 and 205's I've had in the interim. But I will save further impressions for another thread. (I'll put a link here when I do)

Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM
ladzio
2nd Gear
I've just installed new Yokohama Avids stock size all around and I am not liking them. The car feels less planted and steering response time now has a tiny bit of a lag. My stock Continentals were almost bold but still hugged the road like new. From reviews I thought Yokohamas offered best price, quality and value, but I think I am going back to Continentals once these wear out.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:16 AM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ladzio
I've just installed new Yokohama Avids stock size all around and I am not liking them. The car feels less planted and steering response time now has a tiny bit of a lag. My stock Continentals were almost bold but still hugged the road like new. From reviews I thought Yokohamas offered best price, quality and value, but I think I am going back to Continentals once these wear out.
I was just thinking about this this morning; going back to the stock 175/65/15 after a bunch of larger/heavier options definitely makes the car feel less stable at speeds (80+) but really has increased its chuckablilty and the feel of the throttle response.

It's interesting what you have experienced compared to the Contis. It's been a long time and several sets of tires since I had ProContacts, so I can't do an A/B like you can.

Also interesting that the Contis are considered a touring tire and the Yoko are performance tires. Goes to show you, you can't always go by what you read.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 PM
ladzio
2nd Gear
I will give them 2 weeks to "break-in" and will see if they start sticking to the road better.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
ladzio
2nd Gear
UPDATE re Yokohama Avids tires: After putting on them about 500 miles the "wondering" when turning and lazy steering response is gone. Tires are fine.