Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire help - ContiProContact vs ContiSportContact

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 AM
nizzki
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire help - ContiProContact vs ContiSportContact

After 30k miles my OEM Dunlop SP Sport 01 tires for my 07 MCS are getting ready to kick the bucket, and i need to get some new run-flats.
The ContiProContact SSR and ContiSportContact 3 SSR are my top picks at the moment since they aren't outrageously priced and seem to be popular on tirerack.com, but i'm not really picky.
The OEM tires were pretty nice, but they are kinda pricey and i'm not sure if they're the alpha and omega of handling. They also don't seem to get much love on tirerack.com, so i'm interested in trying something different.

First off, here's my info: I live in central Texas, so cold weather isn't really a huge issue. It can rain during the summer a bunch, so the tires can't be complete dogs in rain. I do drive fairly "spiritedly", so i'd like them to handle well, but i don't need racetrack performance levels.

That being said, i'm interested to hear about the handling durability of each of these tires.
I looked at the government ratings on both of them, but i don't know how they transform into real-world. For example, they're both rated AA for traction, but i don't know how that can be really true for a GT all-season tire vs a Max Performance Summer tire.
Ideally i'd like some tires that handle a bit better than the Dunlops i had and last for about as long.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
If I lived in central Texas (and with the local weather between -13 and -24F these days the thought has probably crossed my mind, at least on a subliminal level ) I would opt for the CSC3's in a minute. They should last as long or longer than the Sport 01's, and they will grip better than the ProContacts for the vast majority of Texas weather. I have found test drives of the R56 with ProContacts to yield mediocre grip levels in our Summer weather. The ProContacts will last longer than the CSC3's, but who wants to endure more mediocrity?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:30 AM
nizzki
Neutral
Thanks for the suggestion, do you know how the CSC3's compare to the OEM Dunlops?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 AM
manish
2nd Gear
Does anyone know if the conti sport contacts have a soft sidewall. i believe these are the ones that came on my brothers bmw, and he got a bubble on two of the tires. my friend put them on his acura tl and he got bubbles on three of the tires. im not sure if these are the same tires as those, but i try to stay away from contis just in case.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:57 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
I have a bubble on my one of my Dunlops right now, so I wouldn't blame the Contis...

Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
I did a little review of the CSC3 a week or so ago. compared to the stock dunflops... MUCH better ride and quiet also. VERY STICKY TIRE as well.

Would I buy again? YES, YES, AND YES. As long as Continental keeps this tire in the line up I may never run a another tire.