Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need new summer rubber

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new summer rubber

So my 17" Dunlop SP9000s are pretty much at the end of their lifespan, and I need to get some new 17" rubber for my 2006 MCS.

I have dedicated winter wheels, so that season is not required. I"m looking for something that is decent performance (although I'm not a track junkie) in the remaining non winter months, but not ultra expensive and fast wearing. Do I go to the Dunlop SP01? Someone also suggested the Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR.

I'm on the fence between runflats and non runflats. Does it make a big difference? If I choose non runflats, what is the best way to protect against, well, flats, especially on a road trip?

I will probably order them in from Tirerack, so availability is a concern also - I preferably need them in time for our trip to AMVIV.

Any input to the latest available crop of tires is certainly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't mind road noise check out the Yokahama Parada Spec II's. That's what I use in the summer, and I love (LOVE) them. They last quite a while and they're not too expensive ($80ish on Tire Rack). I know a couple of other MINI owners who were very satisfied with them as well.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Stay away from the Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST if you care about road noise and tire life. They will start to get loud fairly early into their life and you'll want to give them up even prior to the tread being worn.

If performance isn't the primary factor, deciding between runflats and non runflats depends mostly on ride, dependability and availability. There are fewer runflat tires available and the ride is firmer, but if you're used to that and appreciate the peace of mind of runflats go with them. The Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSRs are fairly good, although for a lower price and better tread life check out the Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not ultra expensive and fast wearing.
There are many choices, 2 of my top picks woulkd be

Bridgestone Re960 AS Pole Position

Yokohama avid W4s

Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR
. - An excelent runflat option

Does it make a big difference?
20% better ride, and potentially longer treadware

If I choose non runflats, what is the best way to protect against, well, flats, especially on a road trip?
Conti comfort kit, and some wax plugs for temporary help for flats.

Alex

Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
If I choose non runflats, what is the best way to protect against, well, flats, especially on a road trip?
I carry a dynaplug kit, slime (as last resort) and a small compressor.

Most folks with runflats don't understand the real implications of runflats on a "road trip".... If you're far from home and have a flat with runflats, your experience is likely to be like this:
1) 50 miles is the max you should even think about driving on a *flat* runflat, and that won't be fun.
2) Once you've driven any significant distance on a *flat* runflat, they can't/shouldn't be repaired, as driving on them flat can destroy the structural integrity of the tire.
3) If you're really in the middle of nowhere, you may not be able to find a tire shop that has the right equipment to remove your old runflat.. and if you find someone who says they can do it, they will likely damage your rim while trying.
4) You won't find a replacement runflat in stock in your size.

My opinion is that you're better off with non-runflats for travel... they can be repaired or replaced just about anywhere you happen to be... and a plug kit and compressor will get you through the vast majority of punctures...

Runflats are nice if you drive through bad neighborhoods... otherwise, I'm not sold on them...

Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
1) 50 miles is the max you should even think about driving on a *flat* runflat, and that won't be fun.
2) Once you've driven any significant distance on a *flat* runflat, they can't/shouldn't be repaired, as driving on them flat can destroy the structural integrity of the tire.
3) If you're really in the middle of nowhere, you may not be able to find a tire shop that has the right equipment to remove your old runflat.. and if you find someone who says they can do it, they will likely damage your rim while trying.
4) You won't find a replacement runflat in stock in your size.
These are excellent points, non-judgemental, and certainly much more informative than the usual "runflats suck..."
One other vote for runflats may be that they could be more of a benefit in the event of a catastrophic blowout at speed. But then, how many miles have been logged on the Autobahn with conventional (albeit good quality, appropriately speed rated) tires... ??
In addition to ride harshness (which is very subjective, and can mean many things to many people), and a kind of "horizontal jumpiness" I find with runflats, Blimey's points above are why I prefer conventional tires.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed a big improvement in ride comfort when I switched from runflats to Goodyear F1 GS D3s, and the car felt much more stuck to the road in turns. With runflats I always felt like the tires were on top of the road rather than gripping the road. The Goodyears inspire a lot more confidence (and I am not a very aggressive driver).

The downside is that I've had to get 2 punctures fixed and had one tire replaced, which is a lot more of an issue with non-runflats. Add to that the fact that my TPMS light comes on every time I get my tires rotated and I do wonder if runflats would make my life easier. I may go with some newer-model runflats next time I need tires (my only experience is with runflats circa 2004).

Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bee1000n
The downside is that I've had to get 2 punctures fixed and had one tire replaced, which is a lot more of an issue with non-runflats.
Why is it "a lot more of an issue with non-runflats"? I don't understand. Runflats are no less likely to get punctured or damaged than non-runflats... and getting non-runflats repaired or replaced is less problematic in my experience...

Add to that the fact that my TPMS light comes on every time I get my tires rotated and I do wonder if runflats would make my life easier.
Why do you think that has anything to do with whether you have runflats or not?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Why is it "a lot more of an issue with non-runflats"? I don't understand. Runflats are no less likely to get punctured or damaged than non-runflats... and getting non-runflats repaired or replaced is less problematic in my experience...
It's more of an issue in that a non-runflat with a puncture is a flat tire. A run-flat with a puncture I can drive on.

Why do you think that has anything to do with whether you have runflats or not?
Because if the TPMS light comes on when I have runflats, I keep driving and check the pressure at my destination. If the light comes on when I have non-runflats it needs to be dealt with more urgently.

In both situations the solution is the same with or without runflats, but things are more urgent with non-runflats.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Unless you want to buy a new runflat every time you have a puncture, or want to wear them out prematurely, your sense of urgency with runflats needs to be pretty high... if you drive on the tire when flat even a few miles, it should be discarded because the heat generated can degrade the structural integrity of the tire. So yes, you can drive on it for a while when it's flat, and yes, it will cost $300 to do so. I'd rather know that it's losing air, and plug it on the side of the road and avoid buying a new tire.

My TPMS comes on when I rotate or switch tires and forget to reset it. No big deal... stop, walk around the car once, reset the thing and drive on. Sixty seconds, tops.

Not trying to start an argument - to each his (or her) own - but I had my runflats through a few flat scenarios and was surprised at what I learned... driving on flat runflats is a very expensive convenience.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
No argument here. I just wanted to explain answers more clearly.

I'm never far from civilization so I wasn't worried about going to non-runflats, and the ride and handling are definitely improved with the GS D3 tires, but runflats have their advantages, too.

To the point of the original post, I whole-heartedly recommend Goodyear GS D3 tires if you decide not to get runflats next time around. Traction is great in the dry and in the wet, and treadlife for me was excellent (up to 40,000 miles on 2 of mine). I think Goodyear is readying a replacement that will have a new name, but hopefully similar benefits.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Thanks for the input thus far everyone. Also thanks Blimey for the non judgmental comparison on run flat vs. regular.

I've decided to go with a non run flat, as that does seem to make a lot more sense.

The Bridgestone Re960 AS Pole Position intrigues me, but I noticed it is listed as an "all season". Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, but I do already run dedicated winter tires. How is the performance on the Re960 compared to my current Dunlop SP9000's? I do enjoy a spirited corner now and then.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
The Bridgestone Re960 AS Pole Position ....How is the performance on the Re960 compared to my current Dunlop SP9000's?
9000's corner quicker being runflat. 960's have more grip in wet and dry conditions, based on our testing.

Alex

Old 01-20-2009, 11:33 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
The Bridgestone Re960 AS Pole Position intrigues me, but I noticed it is listed as an "all season". Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, but I do already run dedicated winter tires. How is the performance on the Re960 compared to my current Dunlop SP9000's? I do enjoy a spirited corner now and then.
I don't see the 960 listed in stock size, does this mean you are going for the 205/40R17 or 215/45R17 size?
I would think the RE-01R should be a comparable performing tire vs. the SP9000.
In stock size, the CSC2 from Continental, and the Pilot Exalto PE2 from Michelin should be fine alternatives. (the CSC2 was OEM on Boxsters, and the PE2 is the little brother of the PS2, which has perennially been "good enough" for Porsche. )

Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
I don't see the 960 listed in stock size, does this mean you are going for the 205/40R17 or 215/45R17 size?
215/45/17

I would think the RE-01R should be a comparable performing tire vs. the SP9000.
Re01R's would run circles around 9000's, imo.

Alex

Old 02-01-2009, 07:19 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I'm thinking these may be my next tires:
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec

Tire rack tested them and they score a little higher than the re01's but they probably don't meet the OPs request of longer tread life (price isn't bad).

Old 02-01-2009, 10:26 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

Tire rack tested them and they score a little higher than the re01's but they probably don't meet the OPs request of longer tread life (price isn't bad).
If I had the money I would drop them on the RE-01R's in a heart beat, but I going to go with the Dunlop Direzza Sports myself. I'm looking at 235/40/17, and the price difference is significant more than 50 difference per tire. Are the Dunlop tires newer than the RE-01R's? The reported miles is significantly different.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by itsminidrmer
If I had the money I would drop them on the RE-01R's in a heart beat, but I going to go with the Dunlop Direzza Sports myself. I'm looking at 235/40/17, and the price difference is significant more than 50 difference per tire. Are the Dunlop tires newer than the RE-01R's? The reported miles is significantly different.
I thought the same as you until I read the test results and the reviews at tirerack. Seems several people like 'em better and yes, at more than $50 per tire difference the performance is close enough to make the chioce clear.

I think the dunlops are newer than the re-01r. Alex?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Nitto NeoGens have been pretty good all-around tire they been to MOTD (were great in rain), 2 HPDEs and back on with plenty of tread for winter driving in Philly Slush. For $90 bucks can't go wrong, but the Goodyears are good too and good price.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 02-02-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I read Great things about these tires on Grassroots Motorsports, next issue they're supposed to have a shootout between the:

vs.
Kuhmo XS
vs.
Bridgstone RE-01R
vs
Federal (something "R")
vs
Falken Azenis RT-615
vs
Hankook Z212
vs
Nitto NT05

Can't wait for next months GRM.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
I think the dunlops are newer than the re-01r.
The Dunlops are 1 year newer. Bridgestone's new tire is due for release 3/1/09.

Alex

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
MrCooperS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=107

Good read, if your interested in the Direzza and the Re-01Rs

Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
The Dunlops are 1 year newer. Bridgestone's new tire is due for release 3/1/09.

Alex

and just when i thought the decision was made...

Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 AM
MrCooperS
and just when i thought the decision was made...

I'm thinking the Bridgestone Potenza Re-11's are going to be released? I've heard good things about them but I also hear their expensive like the RE-01Rs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcW9Vgx01lY

Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
MrCooperS
Ohh..I was right. Look what I found courtesy of 'Luke@tirerack' from another forum.

The new Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Extreme Performance Summer tire has arrived.

I will have more info in the near future but, I can tell you that this is a North American-spec tire, which is different than the original version already available in Japan. But, before you think that we are getting an inferior product, know that Bridgestone North America has done extensive testing, and has developed a spec that is faster at street tire autocross competition (where the RE-01R has already been very competitive) than both the Potenza RE-01R and the JDP-spec RE-11.

The Potenza RE-11 is an Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for enthusiastic sports car, sports coupe and performance sedan drivers. The Potenza RE-11 is designed to combine traction, handling and driving control with good noise and ride comfort. The Potenza RE-11 is tuned for dry and wet conditions but like all summer tires, it not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Potenza RE-11 is the first Potenza street tire to incorporate Bridgestone's 3D Seamless Stealth technology originally introduced in their Formula 1 and GP2 racing tires. The Potenza RE-11 features an asymmetric tread pattern that combines massive outboard independent shoulder blocks interlocked with a notched circumferential intermediate rib that provides the lateral stiffness needed to enhance steering response and increase dry cornering traction. Inboard, a continuous intermediate rib and notched shoulder rib are separated by wide, straight circumferential grooves that provide water evacuation to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction.

The tire's internal structure features a custom designed asymmetric shape that helps distribute footprint pressure more evenly by keeping the straighter outboard sidewall from "falling down" while helping the more rounded inboard sidewall resist "falling away" during aggressive cornering. Two wide steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon provide strength, uniform ride quality and high-speed capability.

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires feature black letter styling and are available in selected 55-, 50-, 45-, 40-, 35-, and 30-series V- or W-speed rated sizes for 15" to 19" wheel diameters.

Quick Reply: Need new summer rubber