Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

new green stuff pads -- now squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 01:43 AM
mini-t
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recently changed my brake pads to the ebc green stuff....brake dust has decreased dramatically but now i have squeaky brakes. anyone else have this problem with stock mcs rotors? what was your fix? someone mentioned putting some anti-squeak oil/lube(?) between the brakes and calipers which i'm considering b/c the squeak is driving me nuts.

thanks in advance :smile:

Old 09-28-2003, 02:05 AM
MEmini
2nd Gear
No problem on Miata, was planning on MINI as soon as needed. Did you put them on to solve dust problem or did you need brake pads?

Old 09-28-2003, 02:27 AM
mini-t
5th Gear
>>No problem on Miata, was planning on MINI as soon as needed. Did you put them on to solve dust problem or did you need brake pads?

extreme brake dust :smile:

Old 09-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
sorry that this doesn't answer your question, but I had a question for you, since you're a new EBC convert: Do you have DSC on your MINI, and do the brake pads have cutouts for the DSC sensors yet?

Old 09-28-2003, 08:11 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Did you "bed" the pads correctly? I know the EBC's have to be bedded in in a certain way.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:15 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Chitown's almost got it right; the newer build MINI's use slightly different pads and have brake pad wear sensors on one front corner and one opposite rear corner. These sensors have no interaction with the DSC, they just give you a dummy light on the IP when the pads get worn down.

Back to our regularly schedulded thread: I had no problems with my EBC Green pads, no squeal or squeak. Yes, they need a bit of a loving touch during break-in, and you actually have to drive your car a bit hard to keep a glaze from forming, so they were perfect for my use.

Good luck,
Ryan

Old 09-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my personal solution to fixing a squeaky brake problem. Simply get up to a good speed, say 60mph, and slam the brakes as hard as possible. Do this 2 or 3 times if necessary. This will grind away the glaze that forms when brakes are used too gently.

My old VW tuner also suggested doing the same thing in reverse (not at 60mph of course) if the above technique does not fix the squeak.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
>>Did you "bed" the pads correctly? I know the EBC's have to be bedded in in a certain way.

Old 09-28-2003, 01:03 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Better PM the mods...

Old 09-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
[ahem ] I'm not sure properly "bedding" the Green Stuff would be a good thing; they have a much higher Mu coefficient than stock, which means higher friction. Not too often is more friction "than stock" a good thing in "bed"

Old 09-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
Too much friction causes chafing! Use caution.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:12 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
>>Too much friction causes chafing! Use caution.

Old 09-28-2003, 03:02 PM
mini-t
5th Gear
my mcs was built in feb 03 so they ebc green stuff pads fit okay and i believe were installed correctly.

they didnt squeak for 1 week after i put them on....and then i washed my car...and then the squeak started and hasnt disappeared since. i thought maybe the calipers got rusty?

i was told not to brake suddenly for the first xxx miles.

at this point, i might just change the rotors :smile:

Old 09-28-2003, 08:35 PM
MGear
5th Gear
I have a 07/02 MCS build and use EBC Greenstuf. I haven't had any noise problems but have found myself harder on the brakes since the JCW upgrade.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Squeal when brakes are off

I replaced my OEM pads with EBC Greenstuff pads a few weeks ago (at 39K miles). They don't squeak or squeal when braking but they do squeal at times when I'm just driving around. It's most apparent when driving slowly or turning. What's that all about! Anybody have a solution?

Old 09-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnna
I replaced my OEM pads with EBC Greenstuff pads a few weeks ago (at 39K miles). They don't squeak or squeal when braking but they do squeal at times when I'm just driving around. It's most apparent when driving slowly or turning. What's that all about! Anybody have a solution?
Not being coy, step on them a bit firmer. EBC's dont like gentle braking.

Alex

Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Not being coy, step on them a bit firmer. EBC's dont like gentle braking.

Alex
Alex,
Thanks for responding. Fear not, I'm not shy about using the brakes! They don't squeal with hard or gentle braking. The thing is that they squeal when I'm just cruising through the neighborhood with no brakes on at all. It's not loud but it makes people look to see what's wrong. It's like the calipers aren't openning quite enough.

Are you suggesting that a bit of regular brake mashing will reduce the low speed no-brake squeal?

John

Old 09-17-2004, 07:46 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
That doesn't sound right at all. They should make no noise when not applied. Take it back where you had them installed and let them check it out, or if you did it yourself, better have someone who knows what they are doing check it out. :smile:

Old 09-17-2004, 09:25 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
I had a friend that installed these and he had some serious squeaking. It turned out that the rotors were shot, and that was the problem. He upgraded to some Powerslot rotors and viola, it was perfecto.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Johnna
Are you suggesting that a bit of regular brake mashing will reduce the low speed no-brake squeal? John
I think your lacking the anti squeel gel from your pad install. did you get the 2 grey tubes in the pad boxes? These should be applied wherever the backing plate touches steel. Can be purchased as anti squeel.

Alex

Old 09-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some annoying squeaking at first with Greenstuff's. Broke them in by
not breaking suddenly for the first 300 miles and periodically hitting the brake at 70......steadily and quickly taking it down to 20 mph. The squeaking gradually worked itself out. I like them!

Old 09-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
I think your lacking the anti squeel gel from your pad install. did you get the 2 grey tubes in the pad boxes? These should be applied wherever the backing plate touches steel. Can be purchased as anti squeel.

Alex
Nope - no grey tubes in the pad boxes. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look for some at the autoparts store.

You're an Ace Alex!
Thanks,
John

Old 09-21-2004, 08:16 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear

Alex
Alex, My Green Pads (rear) just arrived and they did NOT include any anti-squeel. Looks like EBC is not including it in their packaging anymore, or maybe it was an oversight from the factory during packaging...

Old 09-21-2004, 08:57 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
Alex, My Green Pads (rear) just arrived and they did NOT include any anti-squeel. Looks like EBC is not including it in their packaging anymore, or maybe it was an oversight from the factory during packaging...
u can probably find good ones at any automotive parts store for like a dollar... they are dirt cheap

i got ferodos ds2500 for my car and mine squeals like you guys, unless i put pedal to the floor and hard brake...... but then lurches my passengers forward.... hm...

it's sometimes so embarassing to brake in parking lots because they squeal

anyways, as a friend told me you got aftermarket pads because of performance and dust content.. not for noise... but i guess that's more true with the ferodos

Old 09-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
I asked EBC, and apparently they changed in 2004 production - anti squeel not included. IMHO a worthwhile investment.

Alex

Quick Reply: new green stuff pads -- now squeaky brakes