Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best Set Up for the Track

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 01:08 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next season I want to get my Mini on the track at Lime Rock. What recommendations can anyone make (Alex, you out there?) for the lightest (strongest) wheels and tire combo to be used strictly for racing only, price is not an issue.

Old 10-01-2003, 01:28 PM
RaceCarDriver
3rd Gear
>>Next season I want to get my Mini on the track at Lime Rock. What recommendations can anyone make (Alex, you out there?) for the lightest (strongest) wheels and tire combo to be used strictly for racing only, price is not an issue.

Lime Rock is my favorite place in the world. I have taken my car to Lime Rock about 50 times (my corvette, not my MCS, just took delivery of my MCS) Best tire for the track, in my opinion, are Hoosiers. I would call Tire Rack and order a set of Hoosiers and light weight wheels.

The question you have to ask yourself is: are you going to be driving your MCS to the track or trailering it? Hoosiers are not meant for the street, you should really trailer your MCS unless you live close by. Kumho Victoracers are a good R compound tire if you drive your car to the track. I live about 120 miles south of Lime Rock in Northern New Jersey and I used to drive my car there with Kumhos.

If money is no object installing an LSD would be a good option, also probably adjustable shocks and a rear sway bar.

Good Luck!

RaceCarDriver

Old 10-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Bk_MCS
5th Gear
Even though I wont have my MCS till the 11th, I have no racing experience, and Im only 18, I know a thing or two .

It seems from my year of perusal on these boards that the most popular wheel for lightweight and strenght is the SSR Competiton. I agree, I've been doin the car thing for 3 years (no laughing, I still know stuff!) now and I've been looking at this wheel for any car I've fantasized over. Other than that I wanted a set of original Spoon wheels, but that's really only for the JDM cars, they look like rota slipstreams (because all rota does is rip off designs from other wheel makers!).

And since it's gonna be a strictly race setup, I guess some kind of R compound tires, race only tires arent my forte.

But you might be better off taking advice from someone with actual track experience (randy, sleepless, etc...). Just trying to help.

Old 10-01-2003, 02:08 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
The best place to start is Grassroots Motorsports magazine. Their focus is the amatuer racer and their advertisers know that. There are plenty of options. The popular wheel for Spec Miata seems to be the Team Dynamics Pro Racing 1. This brand is also popular with the Subaru crowd. OZ makes some very nice light and strong wheels. The Superleggera is their hot ticket. The ultimate for me would be Volks. They're very light and extremely strong. Bottomline, forged wheels are going to be the strongest, lightest, and easiest to repair should the worse happen.

John

Old 10-01-2003, 05:09 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks for the feedback on the tire wheel combo for the track I will include your suggestions in my research. This will be fun!

Old 10-02-2003, 07:25 AM
fueledbymetal
3rd Gear
These are the lightest 16" wheels out there. They're all forged except for the SSR's, which are semi-forged. They all weigh about 11 lbs. You can pick the SSR's up at Tire Rack, but the rest you'll have to find a vendor online for.
Racing Hart CP-035 5R
SSR Comp (and comp R)
Buddy Club P1 QF
Volk TE37
5Zigen Becket FN-01R

Also, the SSR's are about $300 each where as the others are $370-450 each. :smile:

Old 10-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SSr comp 15x7 with 225/45/15 Hoosier R3S03 $1912 plus shipping! Now thats a go fast package!

Alex

Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Alex:
I don't see either of the items you suggested on your web site, what am I missing?
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
its a combination, due to its agressive nature the cite won't recomed, but I have used it, and know it works well.

Alex

Old 10-06-2003, 03:34 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear

Hey Alex, what's the offset used for the SSR/225 combo?
The width of the hoosier is something over 9", right?
Was the MINI lowered at all, or the fenders rolled to avoid contact?
Is this a combination that could be used on the street/STS with a set of KDs or S03s?

I don't own a MINI yet but I'd like to know what I'll need when the SO finally succumbs to my relentless whining.

John

Old 10-07-2003, 09:03 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
its a 15x7 et 42

Section is 9.3,
tread is 8.6

measured on a 7 inch width wheel

Mini was OE ride height 02 S

No fender mods done, the diameter is short enough it cleared thru full travel.

STX needs production street tires 245 mm in width and bearing UTQG above 140.

I only have DOT slicks in 225/45/15
Hoosier is a 40, Kumho is a 50

neither are STS Legal

if you used KD or S-03 in a size they are made, less that 245 mm width it would be legal.

800 522 8473

Tire & Wheel forum moderator

www.tirerack.com

alex@tirerack.com

Old 10-07-2003, 02:21 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear

Thanks for the numbers, Alex.

Just to avoid perpetuation of mis-information, STS maxium tread width is 225, STX has a max width of 245. Maximum wheel width is 7.5" although I've not encounters a 15x7.5 wheel.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:32 PM
picoman
2nd Gear
MGear,

This year was my first track year and I can say that the absolute best bang for the buck is instruction. Your first time out will be fine with the car in stock configuration. Take a class! Learning to drive the track is essential and it's totally different from street driving.

Learn the lines, learn the car, learn to be smooth. THEN you can start to figure out what you want in the way of improvements.

Sure an 11 lb tire would be awesome, but do you really need to spend $300+ per wheel? Doubt it...not at the beginning. The Kosei K1 Racing wheels are great, light and very inexpensive. At the track there are a ton of people using those wheels.

As for tires, find a good tire to learn on. From my discussions with Alex, the Hoosier is not a beginners tire. You'll waste your money on them since you'll ruin them. I don't know Lime Rock so I'm not sure how that particular track abuses your car, but first get GREAT brakes (some good pads, good fluid and rotors if you want to jump in).

People run the Falken Azenis but they tend to overheat on fast hot tracks. I've used them and they are fine to learn on, but once you get faster, you'll push them beyond their limits. I've also run Yoko EVS 100s. They are a street tire and they seem to hold up pretty well.

I say all this because I've seen lots of new people take several sessions to get to the point where they push the stock gear to the limit. You definitely wont your first time out so just take a class and see how you do. No sense in investing money when you don't know what you'll really need.

Also, chat with folks at the track. Everyone is super friendly and you'll get TONS of advice from folks. Live and learn...you'll be way happier and you can save yourself some money by making better choices.

Hope that helps!

Pico