Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wanting new pads/rotors for 04 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:48 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting new pads/rotors for 04 JCW

i want to get new pads for sure, possibly rotors at the same time, if not, itll be a little later down the road, but deffinently new pads. the pads i have now are cheap, i needed pads bad at the time and went with cheaper pads from a local auto place. they create a tremendous amount of brake dust, and with gloss black wheels, its very hard to keep clean.

plus, if i have to brake hard (even before all the weight in the back was added) they arent very good overall.

i just want some good pads that will stop on the dime, i also want pads that create the LEAST amount of dust possible. i know certain pads will create squeaking too, trying to avoid too much squeaking, as anyone would want to i would imagine.

secondly is rotors. i have the stock rotors, dont know if they are the JCW or w/e, i dont know anything about that lol.

i would like to get some larger rotors as well, to fill out the extra space in my 18" 5-spoke rims. you see right through the wheel, so i want something behind it that looks nice. also, this + new pads will help alot with the added weight and bigger wheels as well.

i did see a post on here once about some black rotors that they sell, i dont know how those are, but i think they'd look cool haha

if not, i wanna try and get some drilled/slotted rotors, something thatll look nice and perform 100x better than what i have.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
1. Green Stuff brake pads stop as well as (maybe better than) the OEM JCW pads with much less dust.
2. You can't go to larger rotors unles you swap out the calipers at the same time (whole new brake set-up).
3. For rotors, JCW offers a cross drilled rotor as an upgrade to the standard JCW rotors.

Last edited by lhoboy; 02-15-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Carbotechs? Hawks? EBC Greenstuff? look them up. Their all good stuff.

You can't change the side of your rotor without changing the size of your caliper. Since your Caliper is JCW size, you gotta go with JCW size rotors. If your going with blank rotors, almost all rotors are the same because aftermarket rotors are sold to meet or exceed OEM standards.

There are arguments on which is better for your car whether slots, cross drilled or both. You'd have to do a bit of research and come with that decision on your own.

I don't know if JCW brake kits come with stainless steel brake line but if it doesn't you can always invest like 100$ on those. Those would improve the feel of the brakes. You can also flush the brake fluid as well with some ATF Super Blue.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:20 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
1. Green Stuff brake pads stop as well as (maybe better than) the OEM JCW pads with much less dust.
2. You can't go to larger rotors unles you swap out the calipers at the same time (whole new brake set-up). Will also require you to move to 18" rims as the JCW brakes require a minimum 17" rim..
3. For rotors, JCW offers a cross drilled rotor as an upgrade to the standard JCW rotors.
ill look into those.

i already have 18" rims, and im getting different 18s, possibly 19s.

Originally Posted by MrCooperS
Carbotechs? Hawks? EBC Greenstuff? look them up. Their all good stuff.

You can't change the side of your rotor without changing the size of your caliper. Since your Caliper is JCW size, you gotta go with JCW size rotors. If your going with blank rotors, almost all rotors are the same because aftermarket rotors are sold to meet or exceed OEM standards.

There are arguments on which is better for your car whether slots, cross drilled or both. You'd have to do a bit of research and come with that decision on your own.

I don't know if JCW brake kits come with stainless steel brake line but if it doesn't you can always invest like 100$ on those. Those would improve the feel of the brakes. You can also flush the brake fluid as well with some ATF Super Blue.
nice, ill check out those different ones you mentioned.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 AM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
I recently switched to Carbotech Bobcats. These are ceramic pads that offer good breaking and longer pad life with less dust. Talk with Dustin at AutoXCoopers. The link is in my sig.