Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run Flats - is there ANYBODY out there who LIKES them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 AM
ramjet77
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm on my second set of the Dunlop OEM run flats at 58K miles. Yes, they're noisy (my Mini has always had them so I don't have anything to compare the noise to), expensive, and have a short life. However I encountered a road hazard (it was dark and I never saw it) that took a chunk out of the tire and damaged the plastic wheel well liner. I was on I-80 in the middle of Wyoming, miles from anywhere. Fix-A-Flat would not have plugged the quarter sized hole in the tire so I was able to drive 50 miles to the nearest town that had a tire store. (I did have to spend the night there as they didn't carry run flats so I had them order one from Tire rack and FedEx it. Expensive but at least I wasn't stranded in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. I'm due for new tires soon and I'll stay with run flats but I'm going to try some Continentals which are supposed to be quieter and have a longer life. My point is if you're cruising around town and usually reasonably close to civilization, run flats probably have too many disadvantages. But if you a road trip person exploring the country, run flats start to make sense if you don't want to carry a spare.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
I hate them with a passion.

As stated by others theyre rock hard, and thus feel very 'uncertain' on wet (especially snowy) roads. With the car lowered its worse.

I blame my bent rim partly on having runflats (along with a lowered car)

Anyway id love to get rid of them if funds allowed, but I ended up transferring them to new rims w the TPMS.

I guess its nice having the peice of mind, but I drove my old Mustang for 4 years w no spare..

Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally received my Zuggy and decided to give the oem RFs (Bridgestone Turnza) a try for a while. First, I have to say they are definitely noisier and rougher than what I'm used to (Caddy CTS). So, I'm just being patient and trying not to let those things bother me. BUT! I have to add, I am absolutely astonished at the wet traction these babies have! I've never had tires that grabbed wet pavement the way these do. Very impressive.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
Yeah, my Conti RunFlats have tenacious grip in the wet, too. I must say that tire technology has improved by leaps and bounds in the past decade. I can still remember when BF Goodrich Radial T/As came out and how astonishing their grip was compared to the bias plys of the time. I wouldn't let my dog drive on those tires today, but we all thought they were the cat's a$$ back then...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
I wouldn't let my dog drive on those tires today, but we all thought they were the cat's a$$ back then...
Your dog can drive??

Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 AM
mr. jim
4th Gear
I've got 27,000 miles on mine and they still have lots of tread. I like the way they handle, but when I replace them I'm going regular rubber.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to just do the traditional all season radial, but then when I got my MINI, she came with goodyear excellence runflats which are a summer tire. Given the amount of snow we get, I was planning to replace them with the conti all seasons because I liked feeling the road beneath me and wanted better snow traction... and then we saw the forecasts for our winter snowfall and I skipped the runflats entirely and bought dedicated snow tires.

I'm glad I did now because we had over 60 inches of snow in the month of December alone.

Still love the runflats though, they bring a lot of peace of mind to the party and in the summer months, I spend a lot of time driving down country backroads because they're more fun than just running through town so I know if I ever get a flat... at least I'll be able to take the car to the tire shop, rather than be stuck waiting for some guy to come along with a combine.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
I'm really indifferent. Got set of used OZ rims that had RF Dunlops on them so i'm driving on them now. They all have same thread depth left but 2 wheels that were on previous owner's front are worn out to the alignment spec and are bit noisy and uneven so I put them on the back. The other 2 work fine on the front. The wet grip is not really there but I can work around it. On dry they squeal a bit if taken too aggerssively but not a huge problem anyway.
The tires are very old as they were produced in the middle of 2002 so I shouldn't be really driving on them but due to the low budget I'll try to use them this season.

I like the stiffness and don't mind the lack of comfort. Mini isn't a comfortable car to begin with so I wouldn't want to put some mushy tire on in order to make it more comfortable and sacrifice handling.

Also, recently I had loaner BMW 328i that also had RF Bridgestones and they were nice grippy and comfortable.

Also, I don't have problem with winter as I'm strong believer that everyone that sees snow in a year should have dedicated winter tires. I do.