Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run Flats - is there ANYBODY out there who LIKES them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Flats - is there ANYBODY out there who LIKES them?

There are so many posts about how awful the run flats are; loud, rough, noisy, short life-span, etc. Is there ANYBODY who has been HAPPY with their OEM run flats?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Yep - me. I love them. I don't care about their harsher ride (if I'd wanted a Cadillac, I'd have bought one), and I love both the extra peace of mind and the fact that the stiffer sidewall of runflats gives you better turn-in. In other words, more instantaneous steering response, because the tires don't "flex" when changing direction. More go-kart like!

Now... the extra flex (often with softer rubber) of non-runflats is actually a good thing for handling at the limit... so I can appreciate for track performance that non-runflats will do better. However, for street driving, I love runflats.

Yes, they cost more. The argument of not being able to repair them doesn't completely hold water though, because as long as the puncture is on the tread itself, they can be repaired. It's damage to the sidewalls that is the issue. Guess what - it's the same issue for non-runflats too.

Mind you, BMW/MINI does not authorize/approve repairing runflat tires... but that's in large part to them covering their own butt.

I love runflats so much that when I went to buy a separate set of winter tires for my MINI, I bought winter runflats - actual snow tires that are runflat too.

I do realize I'm in the minority with my opinion though.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 PM
n733lk
5th Gear
Do you have any interest in purchasing another pair of OEM runflats? I HAVE been driving a Cadillac.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by n733lk
Do you have any interest in purchasing another pair of OEM runflats? I HAVE been driving a Cadillac.
LOL no... at the moment I have all the tires I need. Just bought new summer tires, and my winter set still have plenty of tread left.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't say I love the runflats but they seemed decent enough as a daily tire (I pulled them off at 10K miles for lighter wheels and summer rubber and made the stock wheels and tires my winter setup) and in the recent snow I found them to be quite good.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I like them too. More specifically the Continental ContiProContact SSR 195/55/R16 runflats I currently have in my 2005 MCS.

I love the added safety they provide. I love the fact that runflats are more resistant to sudden tire outblows.

A radial tire can shred to pieces. No amount of canned tire goo is going to get you back on the road. In some areas of this country, cell phone service is spotty at best.

At least with runflats, you can drive 50-80 miles to a safe location.

People say...."Oh but you can not repair them!" Not so true to an extent. If you have a regular nail in the thread and you have not driven more than 50 miles with the punctured tire, it is possible to patch repair. If you get a nail on the sidewall or you have driven more than 50 miles with the tire with no air then it has to be replaced.

Last edited by ClubmanS; 02-16-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 PM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
To answer your qeustion in a word, "NO". I rotated my run flats before any actual wear started to show, and I have had to put them back as they were. A small amount of vibration that I didn't personaly care for went away as soon as I did so.

I may be too picky, but I will not be replacing run flats with the same. There just too harsh for my bones. (I'm 50 now)

Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
DarrenO'sideCA
2nd Gear
As with a couple of other posters, I like not having to worry about doing a chemistry experiment on the side of a freeway at 2am. I also don't mind the stiffness (except on certain roads) but we do have nice roads here in San Diego.

I replaced my DSSTs with Kumho RFs when they wore out. I'm nearing the end of life on the Kumhos now. Each got about 20k miles before they were done. The DSSTs definitely had better grip but the Kumhos are way cheaper and are also quieter.

I'm looking at non-RF tires for my next set strictly because I haven't found a UHP runflat that doesn't cost $1 million each. If anyone has any ideas for a super-high-performance RF that would work well for Auto-X, some track driving, and mostly daily life, fire away.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM
beatrix
1st Gear
I use RF's all year round too

I just like the security of not having to use slime or carry a spare tire. Last year I bought another set of wheels and some Blizzak run flats for my winter tires and they have been great. I got 2 summers out of my summer RF's and will be buying another set this spring.

Some friends suggested they could help me get a spare and slime and a compressor... but I told them that might require that I jack up the car and actually GET DIRTY when I have a flat. I prefer knowing I can always get to somewhere safe (like my mechanics ) to check out my tire...

Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I have no reference to say I don't like the run flats. But I have no complaints so far. I'll probably replace mine with non-RF's only due to the cost.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my Dunlaps

I had runflats on my Corvette so when I got the JCW it has runflats so I'm really used to having them. I live if Florida where we have decent road surfaces so runflats are not a problem. The Dulaps offer very good traction wet or dry and only are noisy on certain surfaces.
Yep, I like my runflats
Ronnie948

Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
mattco
1st Gear
I love mine. I run Goodyear RSA 205-45 17s on R90s on my 03 MCS. 22k with alot of tread left. I like the stiff ride and the fact I can feel every pebble on the road. When the time comes to replace them I'll go RF again.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
most tire shops hate them

Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I run them in the winter only and I think they are OK. I have three sets of 17" wheels/tires combos, from performance RFT (OEM Dunlop) to all season RFT (OEM Conti) to Non RFT performance (Dunlop Dirreza) so do feel the difference. I do perfer my Non RFT 17". I think the 16" RFT running on a MIni with regular suspension rides fine (on my friends 09 MCS).

Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM
richs10
5th Gear
My 08 Clubman came with the Continentals. I like them a lot. No problems so far, good ride generally and in weather. I rotated them at about 8,000 miles with no difference in the ride. I don't see any sign of abnormal or pre-mature wear so I'm hoping they will last as long as a standard tire would. When the time comes, I will probably just stay OEM to avoid having to buy a spare.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Topmini
3rd Gear
agreed!

yea i like my runflats too, even though i went through 2 tires in around 3 months time. But thats just due to sucky roads here in monterrey, mexico. Weird thing was that i noticed it was flat before the tire sensor thingy did. I felt it sliding around in the back, like when a rear wheel drive car "powerdrifts". I ran that tire a good day and a half before taking it to dealer and getting it changed.
Sure beats getting stuck in alot of traffic and getting out and changing the tire in the middle of a lane.

Originally Posted by ronnie948
I had runflats on my Corvette so when I got the JCW it has runflats so I'm really used to having them. I live if Florida where we have decent road surfaces so runflats are not a problem. The Dulaps offer very good traction wet or dry and only are noisy on certain surfaces.
Yep, I like my runflats
Ronnie948

Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 PM
JDPepper
2nd Gear
Good Years Yuck

Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I like them too. More specifically the Continental ContiProContact SSR 195/55/R16 runflats I currently have in my 2005 MCS.
I never really liked the Good Years that came on Li'l Pepper, but I drove the stink out of 'em for 35,000 miles. They were nicely rounded on the edges, but they developed even more noise...sounded like bad bearings at low speed. I had every intention of getting non-runflats, but there isn't any selection in this wacky size and I read some good things about the SSR's.

I've had them a few weeks now and I must say, they aren't bad . Seattle roads are so darn noisy (damn studs!) that it's hard to evaluate a tire for noise, but these seem better than the Good Years. They are great in the rain and they seem to have better at-the-limit performance, more gradual breakaway and less squealing.

THink I might have to get some big, sticky things for summer and such though.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 PM
mitch171
3rd Gear
AAA no need to worry about flat tire.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
There are so many posts about how awful the run flats are; loud, rough, noisy, short life-span, etc. Is there ANYBODY who has been HAPPY with their OEM run flats?
I'm happy with my OEM runflats. I drive on the runflats as much as I can.

I'm happy to wear them out so that I can get some serious tires.

My runflats are not on my MINI. I have a set of stock MINI wheels with runflats in storage. Kept in reserve.

My runflats are on my "other car".

I think anyone that gets a flat using a runflat is happy for the runflat.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have the Continental 17" SSR on my wifes 09 MCS. They seems fine to me. I don't mind the ride at all. Her car rides better than my 05 GTO with the stock tires on it.

I will probably replace them with the same when it comes time.

Pat

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
PM sent. I have interest in some 17" RFs

Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
I have no problem with my run flats. I like the idea of not having to put a tire on in the middle of who knows where. Since my wife drives my mini some times, its just a bit more peace of mind.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Bullitt44
"Bullitt"
I have My factory JCW wheels with factory run flats and a set of wheels with run flat snow tires. W/O a spare I rather enjoy the fact I can finish my trip even if I catch a flat tire. I will however swap to RE01R non-run flats for track days.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
iceman72
3rd Gear
I will probably get some standard tires this spring when I get my rim/tire combo from tire rack.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
I really likie the Conti runflats on my 2008 Clubbie S. They are a bit stiff, but the turn-in is fantastic. And the wet traction is incredible. I took my car out to my personal proving grounds last night during a light rain. I wanted to get a sense of how the tires reacted to these conditions, especially with very hard braking mid-corner.

I was absolutely astonished at how stable the car felt even when I really romped on the brake pedal. The combination of the Conti's superior wet-weather grip coupled with the EBD (electronic brake force distribution) and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) had me wide-eyed in dis-belief.

I simply could not get the car out of sorts, it just hunkered down and STOPPED. The BMW engineers have done a superlative job of tuning the suspension and braking systems. And I particularly liked the fact that the ABS didn't kick in until I was really tromping on the pedal - too many systems kick in prematurely for my taste.

Well-done Mini, this is the best braking car I have ever driven!

Quick Reply: Run Flats - is there ANYBODY out there who LIKES them?