Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

I'm absolutely torn on tires, please help me make a decision.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Niko
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm absolutely torn on tires, please help me make a decision.

My 02 MCS came with Avon Tech M550 A/S tires which have since become incredibly loud, so it's time for a replacement. I've read countless threads here about so many different tires, but I'm still torn. I'm running the stock 17" S-Lites and it seems like 215/45/17 is the best size. Right now I have 205/45/17. I think I'll be happy with either size, so that isn't much of an issue. There seems to be more of a selection with 215.

What I really want is a street tire with a good dry/wet traction to noise ratio. I'm a "spirited" driver and sometimes a bit aggressive if nobody is around and I see an enticing corner. Nothing crazy though.

I've never really been concerned with noise comfort, but these Avons have tainted me. They vibrate the car and it's almost unbearably loud at times, especially if someone is sitting in the back, which is a rare occasion.

I do live in NY but I'm ruling out snow in the back of my head. I don't find myself driving in deep snow too often and I've never had good snow tires so I'm used to it.

So my main concern is dry traction, wet traction and noise comfort. I know you have to sacrifice one for the other, but a good balance would be nice.

I'm willing to spend up to $130 MAX but it would be REALLY nice to spend under $100 if possible.

To make things a little easier, or possibly harder, I've somewhat narrowed down my search. Here's a link to my comparisons at Tire Rack:
EDIT: Link Expired, check the list in my post below.

Feel free to suggest something that isn't there. I'm hoping you could help me reach a decision. I'd like to order these ASAP because I might have a road trip coming up in the very near future!

Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Niko; 02-17-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
jsharra
3rd Gear
Link expired. Last March I bought a set of 215/45ZR-17 GENERAL EXCLAIM UHP from Tire Rack. They're summer only, so they've been off since late last fall, but I'm looking forward to putting them back on in a month or so. I think they do well in all your criteria.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I bought Goodyear GS-D3 and love them.
I do have winter tires... Bridgestone Blizzacks.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Niko
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jsharra
Link expired. Last March I bought a set of 215/45ZR-17 GENERAL EXCLAIM UHP from Tire Rack. They're summer only, so they've been off since late last fall, but I'm looking forward to putting them back on in a month or so. I think they do well in all your criteria.
Ahhh, all those hours of research and narrowing it down and my comparison list is gone! Wish I knew it could expire. I guess I didn't do much work since there were still at least 8 candidates on it, lol.

I was thinking about picking up those General Exclaim UHP tires. Reading really good things about the comfort, but how is the handling?

Originally Posted by freez3
I bought Goodyear GS-D3 and love them.
I do have winter tires... Bridgestone Blizzacks.
Thanks I will look into those as well Winter doesn't really worry me too much. Maybe it should, but it doesn't lol. It's almost March already, I can worry about that next year, even though we will probably get a ridiculous snow storm by May

Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Niko
2nd Gear
So here's what I have on my list:

Sumitomo HTR Z III - $79
General Exclaim UHP - $84
Kumho Ecsta SPT - $93
Yokohama AVID W4S - $102
Yokohama S.drive $108
Kumho Ecsta XS - $119
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport - $123
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - $133

As you can see, it ranges. I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck but at the same time don't want to end up with a bad tire.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
Anybody using the Goodyear Triple Treads?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Niko
So here's what I have on my list:

Sumitomo HTR Z III - $79
General Exclaim UHP - $84
Kumho Ecsta SPT - $93
Yokohama AVID W4S - $102
Yokohama S.drive $108
Kumho Ecsta XS - $119
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport - $123
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec - $133

As you can see, it ranges. I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck but at the same time don't want to end up with a bad tire.
The price range is fine but you didn't mention how long you want the tires to last.

Two thoughts on treadwear. One is to get a good performance tire and if it only lasts 1-2 years you replace it and get good performance back- this would be the case with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, an Extreme Performance Summer tire that won't last. If you drive hard maybe one to 1.5 years. You didn't mentione how many miles you drive per year. These would be no good in cold temperatures or any snow so you must change to winter tires at the right time.

Another thought is go with something with treadwear (only an estimate) of about 400 like the Yokohama AVID W4S which is well priced and an Ultra High Performance All Season tire which will does well in some cold weather and light snow so no worries and lasts longer but still have good handling and better comfort than the M550 which sound like they are getting old and worn so harder rubber and more noise which is common.

Don't expect any tire to last forever, even the ones that last a long time don't stay good that long, they get worn and become less comfortable.

Another tire in your price range is-
Ultra HP All Season tires:
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S $121 each 400 treadwear
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=106

And just out of your price range at $139 each 400 treadwear
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=115

If budget was not of concern then-
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS for $146 each 400 treadwear
Good handling wet or dry and comfortable for street use
All Season.

I think summer tires would also work for you but you trade off better handling for some loss of treadwear and possibly a little comfort- besides noise, ride firmness.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Niko
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
The price range is fine but you didn't mention how long you want the tires to last.

Two thoughts on treadwear. One is to get a good performance tire and if it only lasts 1-2 years you replace it and get good performance back- this would be the case with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, an Extreme Performance Summer tire that won't last. If you drive hard maybe one to 1.5 years. You didn't mentione how many miles you drive per year. These would be no good in cold temperatures or any snow so you must change to winter tires at the right time.

Another thought is go with something with treadwear (only an estimate) of about 400 like the Yokohama AVID W4S which is well priced and an Ultra High Performance All Season tire which will does well in some cold weather and light snow so no worries and lasts longer but still have good handling and better comfort than the M550 which sound like they are getting old and worn so harder rubber and more noise which is common.

Don't expect any tire to last forever, even the ones that last a long time don't stay good that long, they get worn and become less comfortable.

Another tire in your price range is-
Ultra HP All Season tires:
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S $121 each 400 treadwear
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=106

And just out of your price range at $139 each 400 treadwear
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=115

If budget was not of concern then-
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS for $146 each 400 treadwear
Good handling wet or dry and comfortable for street use
All Season.

I think summer tires would also work for you but you trade off better handling for some loss of treadwear and possibly a little comfort- besides noise, ride firmness.
Thanks minihune! I've read many of your posts during my searches and you've been a great help.

Cold weather performance is a concern for me. I guess since I'd like good wet traction and cold weather performance I should stay away from some of the summer tires. I was considering the g-force tires you mentioned but read somewhere that they can become loud. I guess that's the case with many tires though.

Would a lower treadwear rating (softer rubber) not be as loud as it wears, but at the same time wear more quickly? I think I'd rather sacrifice tire life for noise comfort since I'd end up replacing a tire when it became too loud anyway. If I'm going to replace a tire before the end of its life due to noise, what's the point of sacrificing some performance for wasted life, right?

Last edited by Niko; 02-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I run Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S on one set of rims (18's) and Nitto "Neo Gens" on my other set of wheels (16's). The Pirelli's have had great tread life and continue to be very quite, even after 15,000 miles ! The Nitto's have performed "extremely" well in dry and wet conditions and will replace the Pirelli's when they wear out. Just bought a set of them for the Wife's 330 I replacing a set of the same Avon Tech M550 A/S you are running. God, what loud tires ! I had been waiting for ever for them to wear out so I could replace them ! Lot's of good choices out their but, I'm personally sold on the Neo Gen's !

Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Niko
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I run Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S on one set of rims (18's) and Nitto "Neo Gens" on my other set of wheels (16's). The Pirelli's have had great tread life and continue to be very quite, even after 15,000 miles ! The Nitto's have performed "extremely" well in dry and wet conditions and will replace the Pirelli's when they wear out. Just bought a set of them for the Wife's 330 I replacing a set of the same Avon Tech M550 A/S you are running. God, what loud tires ! I had been waiting for ever for them to wear out so I could replace them ! Lot's of good choices out their but, I'm personally sold on the Neo Gen's !
Thanks paulie! I don't know why, but I have a good feeling about the Nittos. I'm reading reviews and so far people have really good things to say about them. Tread rating is 280, so it seems there's a good balance there, and it's marketed as an all-season tire. Definitely looking into this one.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Niko
2nd Gear
OK I ordered the Nitto Neo Gen ZR. Read a bunch of great reviews, nothing really negative and I just have a really good feeling about them so I'm going with my gut feeling! Had a set of Nitto NT450s on my CRX about 6 years ago, and I don't remember anything bad about them.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 PM
jsharra
3rd Gear
"I was thinking about picking up those General Exclaim UHP tires. Reading really good things about the comfort, but how is the handling?"

The only thing I can compare them to is the original run flats, and they're better than them (but everything is).