Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Two or Three piece rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello there. I am expecting my PW 04 MCS in about a week and a half with the aero kit, and want some wheel ideas. I am looking for two or three piece rims preferabbly and would love it if they are forged. Anybody know where should I look? Any body have any recommendations. Thanks.

-Barry

Old 10-03-2003, 07:01 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Barry - are you running stock wheels on your other vehicles? For the MINI, I've seen people putting Hamann's on, HRE's might be a bit pricey for the MINI - but they would look SWEET. The MINI R90 wheel is a nice design as well - IMO the best looking OE wheel they have.

I'm personally starting to look at some different options myself - would like something with a polished lip, like the Breyton Magic

Old 10-03-2003, 07:58 AM
goin440
6th Gear
google forged wheels. Entry fee is pricey but... worth it.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:14 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>Hello there. I am expecting my PW 04 MCS in about a week and a half with the aero kit, and want some wheel ideas. I am looking for two or three piece rims preferabbly and would love it if they are forged. Anybody know where should I look? Any body have any recommendations. Thanks.

Alex@tirerack is always a good place to start.

Edgeracing offers wheels for the MINI call 1-800-489-5353
http://www.edgeracing.com/support/howto.php

Outmotoring offers wheels but I don't see two piece- you can email and ask anyway: info@OutMotoring.com
http://www.outmotoring.com/exterior.html

Rspeed has lots of wheels for MINIs and might be able to order you some two piece phone 1-888-551-0025
http://www.rspeed.net/mini/subcat.asp?dept=12&cat=6

Other options to investigate
http://www.skperformance.com/index.html

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
Hamann PG4 Wheel - 18" x 8"
Part # : 91180243 $ 849.95
http://www.bavauto.com/bas/assets/pr...i/91180243.jpg

Hamann HM4 Wheel - 17" x 8"
Part # : 90179143 $ 399.95
http://www.bavauto.com/bas/assets/pr...i/90179143.jpg

http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/Cars/bmw.htm

Old 10-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
Thank you kind gents, for the quick replies. Dandp, yes i am running some other after market rims for my other cars. My 911 Turbo has 542r and and my M5 has PG4s. My S8 is running 544rs. Goin440, price is really not an object. Minihune, thank you very much for your links and pictures, now I definitely have a great place to start. Since my MCS is PW/B, I need to find rims that will look good with the color combination. I will start the investigation. :smile:

-Barry

Old 10-03-2003, 03:02 PM
nfo
6th Gear
i had a pepper white that was totalled last week otherwise i'd be in the same quest as you....
i had narrowed it down to a few choices that i will share...

the hamann PG4's are so nice, they are 3 piece unlike the HM4's which just look like 3 piece.
the hartge classic's for the mini also are very very nice.
if money is no object, go for some custom HRE's, their quality just can't be matched!
please make sure to post some pics of your car when you get it!
b.t.w. you have amazing taste in cars!

Old 10-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
Thank you for the compliment. That is very kind. :smile: As far as HRE goes, thanks for the recommendations by you and dandp. If you notice the wheels on my 911 and my S8, you will see I already have a few sets of HRE's in my garage. :smile:

-Barry

Old 10-03-2003, 03:14 PM
rfibanez
Banned
I also recommend the hamanns, I have a friend with them on a MCS and they look sweet!!!

Old 10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Casey
5th Gear
hamann wheels may look good but they are BRICKS....if your going to spend that kind of cash on a wheel atleast get something that also is light.....the hamanns hurt your car in every aspect except style which i will give them...they look great..but not good enough to make up for the weight....if i had a set of hamann wheels for free i still wouldn't use them :smile:

Old 10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
>>hamann wheels may look good but they are BRICKS....if your going to spend that kind of cash on a wheel atleast get something that also is light.....the hamanns hurt your car in every aspect except style which i will give them...they look great..but not good enough to make up for the weight....if i had a set of hamann wheels for free i still wouldn't use them :smile:

I have a set of Hamann PG4s on my M5, and I love them. My PW MCS will be coming with the S lites on them. After reading quite a bit, I found out that S lites with run flats are about 50 lbs, which is heavy. Can you, Casey, tell me how much the hamann (either pg4 or hm4) will weigh with non run flat tires? I just want to know the truth in weights, instead of people calling them bricks.

-Barry

Old 10-03-2003, 03:57 PM
dandp
6th Gear
It hink I've seen two MCS's with Hamann's on here...but many seem concerned about weight on these wheels, so it would be interesting to see just how truly heavy they are...

Old 10-03-2003, 03:59 PM
nfo
6th Gear
i'd assume that you don't really care about the mini being a race car concidering you have some really fast cars!
if you like the hamann's get them!
i think the HRE's would be the best balance of style and weight.
i wouldn't let any haters sway your decision! hehehhe

Old 10-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
To me its not about being fastest or looking the best. I have other cars and other rims. My main concern is that I dont know much about FWD cars such as the Mini. SInce I want to get rims anyways, I wanted help from MCO people, who I might add, have been extremely helpful. :smile: Dandp, I agree with you. Before we start throwing terms like "bricks" and such, I would like to see some figures and numbers. Since its a considerable sum of money, I want to be sure I made the smartest decisions. Nfo, I want the mini to be what it is out of the factory. I dont want to put heavier rims and slow it down. I dont want to compromise what the factory is giving me, for now. And lastly what are "haters" ? : confused :

Old 10-03-2003, 04:11 PM
nfo
6th Gear
haters is just slang.
people who disagree because they are jealous or just to disagree for no reason.
i think the hamann's are about 20lbs. which isn't that heavy once you get rid of the run flats.
the only thing about the hamann's that i don't like is that they are 18x8 which is a little wide for the mini.
that's why i say go for the HRE's in either 17x7.5 or 18x7.5.

Old 10-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Bcooper56
Banned
Thank you nfo for explaining that :smile: I am old, thus can't keep up with the new terminologies of today, I leave it up to my daugther to do that. Well if the Hamann's are about 20 lbs for the mini, and add another 20 lb for tires, then isn't that only 40 lbs compared to the 50 lb S lites? So isn't the Hamann actually lighter than the S lite factory setup? :smile: :smile:

Old 10-03-2003, 04:23 PM
nfo
6th Gear
the hamann's aren't slow and heavy...
they are just heavier than the alternatives for the money.
i think most people around here are going for ultra lightweight. ie: SSR comp's
they seem to be the most popular wheel around.
either that or the factory 16's are pretty damn light too, once you get those run-flats off.
you're not worried about the money, get the HRE's and you'll have one unique/sweet mini.
b.t.w. i would love to see some pic's of your other cars

Old 10-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Casey
5th Gear
i'm not a hater, i'm not jealous - not sure where nfo gets off saying that....all i did was give my opinion....the wheels look great but to "me" i can't see buying them when there are just as good of looking wheels for the same price that are considerable lighter...lets look at the HREs...in 17" they weigh over 24 lbs. About the same as the S-Lites which everyone agrees are "bricks". Now look at several of the volks where same size weigh around 12lbs. That is 12lbs per corner or 48lbs of rotational mass from the car....which is like driving around with an extra person in the car...it makes a difference.

The wheels look great but I think a wheel like the volks or centerline have a lot of style while being very light and strong. I would suggest looking at those before making your final decision.

I agree getting rid of the runflats will help alot in the weight and performance aspect but to me I just couldn't get myself to spend that much money on a wheel that doesn't improve the car in any way besides looks.

Old 10-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Casey
5th Gear
I believe that the PG4s in 17 weigh about 28lbs but trying to find out for sure...I know for sure they are heavier then the HREs.

Old 10-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Casey
5th Gear
also check this thread for more info on them Click Here

I would have to agree with NFO on the other thread where he says they are heavy and several others refer to them as bricks.

Old 10-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
I'm saving my pennies for a set of these:

- 3 piece
- Forged
- Lightweight
- Multiple styles available
- Very pretty!

Check them out here:

Fikse Wheels

Old 10-03-2003, 06:54 PM
dandp
6th Gear
How are the Fikse's priced compared to the Hamann's and HRE's?

Old 10-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Mister_S
3rd Gear
>>How are the Fikse's priced compared to the Hamann's and HRE's?

Got a quote from Fikse about 6 months ago.... Any of the Classic series (I think 5 different center styles to choose from) in 17x7et43 MINI fitment were $603 each. Not cheap, but considering a one-piece SSR Comp is $400 and an HRE is probably $1k+; seems to be a decent value in a forged 3-pc wheel. I especially like cleaner look of the hidden bolts from the back. They also have several up-charge finishes, but the finish in the pick above is the standard.

As I said, I'm saving my pennies...... :smile:

James

Old 10-03-2003, 07:41 PM
nfo
6th Gear
>>also check this thread for more info on them Click Here
>>
>>I would have to agree with NFO on the other thread where he says they are heavy and several others refer to them as bricks.

casey...
please take no offense to my comments.
i'm a really sarcastic bastard! hehehe
i figure if barry has hamann's on his other car he obviously isn't a stickler for weight or cash for that matter.
if he is happy with the hamann's he's got on the other car, why would the mini really be all that different.
i do agree with you about the volks...i'd love to have some LE37's!
but i didn't feel that those fit what he was looking for!
i guess i can be a hater too!

Old 10-03-2003, 08:46 PM
rfibanez
Banned
I saw some fikse wheels on a supra, lookes sick!

Old 10-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Casey
5th Gear
no worries nfo :smile:

Quick Reply: Two or Three piece rims