Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Too late to rotate runflats at 12k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:08 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too late to rotate runflats at 12k?

Having read all the relevant threads about rotating runflats, I'm still not sure what to do. At the time of purchase (1 year ago), the folks at MINI said that they do not recommend rotating runflats on the MCS.

Last week I took the car in for a 1-year service (12k), where it didn't need anything much. They changed the oil & wiper blades, checked fluids. (I don't understand these OBD systems - I come from a place where oil changes and tire rotation happened regularly). Again they advised against rotating the tires.

I must have been a pain in the ***, because finally the guy caved and said it would cost $$, the handling would be unbalanced/wobbly and if I really wanted to do it, take it to a local tire place. I questioned him about balancing the wheels after rotating (hence it wouldn't have wobbly steering). He said nothing. I guess they really don't like to do it - why is that?

Okay, so what do I do? There's still tread on the front tires, probably 1/4 inch, and 3/8 on the backs. They're the Dunlop 16" standard runflats. I drive freeway most of the time, have a total of 12k and have never rotated the tires. I'm okay driving the runflats, but I'm wary about the cost of replacements. I do think they're noisy and hard, and so I might consider going to Non-runflats eventually...arggghhhh. I'm out of my depths here...that's a whole new question - do I need new rims for non-runflats???

So: 1) rotate or not?
2) what's involved in the transition to non-runflats?

Ignore question 2 if there's ample threads I should have checked....

Thanks,

Surly

P.S. Still loving my MCS.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
mansize
3rd Gear
You could rotate front to back, but at this point the backs would inherit the 4/32" tread and that is getting close to marginal tread depth for the rear. (unless you like a tail happy attitude!)
Also rotating after this many miles may in fact be detrimental to handling due to the way the tires wear differently front to back. I'd leave status quo, and if you do make the transition to non-runflats (works for me) then make a point to rotate these every 5000 to 8000 miles per personal preference.
I always rotate my non-runflats, both the summer and winter tires, and can report no concern with doing so.
Just watched a show today that reported the second generation Honda Fit now comes with no spare, no runflat option, and relies on a type of "fix-a-flat" kit.
Explanation was an overall weight reduction. Quite the opposite of the MINI and BMW sales pitch.
BTW, there is nothing involved in making the switch to conventional tires, they are plug and play on your existing wheels.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not rotate also, but not because of handle issues but because you want your better tires in the rear. This is contrary to old school thought that the best tires should be on the front to give better steering. They have found almost all skids start from a loss of traction in the rear and therefore the better tires belong in the rear.

Yes get non-run flats.
I have an MCS which I have had non-run flats on for over 40k without even a nail hole to plug. I do carry a compressor and a plug kit along with slime.
Even on cars with a spare, I have never had to use one in over 30 years of driving.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
yeah, you definitely want the better tires on the rear.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Mini_Joe
3rd Gear
In the future, on your new shoes, make sure to rotate every 5k miles, regardless of what the dealer says.

I honestly can't see any logic in not rotating any tires... runflats or not. It helps even out tire wear!

The only things to consider are when you have directional tires, or tires that say "mount this side out". But you can still rotate front to back with those!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
As always, NAM members to the rescue. Thanks for the advice and input. I'll definitely rotate the new shoes... regardless of dealer advice.