Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here...

OK, seems to be allot of discussion here around RF's and non RF's and I'm really torn

Heres my deal............

Mine came with ContiProContact SSR RF's 205/45R17's and at 25K miles are starting to go bald.

For the most part good tires but have hard time shelling out $200/per every 20K miles

I live in St. Louis so we are in the icebelt and get snowfalls that max at about 4"' I really don't want to screw around with Summer and Winter tires so All Seasons look good for me.

I'd classify myself as a 'spirited' driver (it's a Mini isn't it?)

I'd like to upgrade to 18" rims so according to Alex at Tire Rack I should be looking at 215/35ZR18's

OK if I stick with RF's I get the peace of mind of not having a flat and being stuck out in the middle of nowhere (distinct possibility in Missouri). But I have to pay frequently for that peace of mind.

If I go with non RF's my *perception* is that it will cost me less and I will get higher performance tires. Downside is I gotta now carry a compressor and tire sealant. If they get slashed up I wait for a tow truck (period)

Other issue is I was talking to a fellow Minimaniac and he *thought* he heard that you cannot use tire sealant on 07' or newer MCS's. Someting to do with the tire sensors will not allow tire sealant to pass. Anybody else hear this? Workarounds.

Sorry for the ramble and would appreciate any feedback. Anybody In a similar situation I would love to hear what your tire choice was and how it is working out

Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM
GOTCURVES
4th Gear
+1 on the tire sealant as the sensors will not allow it to get in. In lieu of sealant, plugs work great to get you to the next shop to fix it. If the tires get slashed you're screwed weather you have a spare or not cause they usually do 2 tires not just one.

If you're even the slightest bit of a spirited driver (as you say it's a Mini!) the trade off is worth it. I hear good things about the BFG G-force super sport AS from Road & Track and Car & Driver, I'd look into these for all season performance.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
tgs91
4th Gear
Thanks GotCurves

I'm def leaning towards the non runflats

at upwards of $150 more per tire, less performance that last less mileage it is starting to make sense.

I can buy alot of roadside assistance once the Mini supported one expired for the savings!