Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Squeaky / Runflats worn out / Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid review

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 PM
T2Nav
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky / Runflats worn out / Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid review

Good evening,

A while back my car started making woosh-woosh sounds as I drove down the street, in time to the wheel spin. Got louder on corners. I did some online research and it was clearly bearings, so I brought it in to Mini of Sterling. Yolana was very nice, arranged for the loaner car, arranged for the mileage service to be done at the same time, and kept me informed the whole way.

They looked everything over, said bearings are fine, and said the wear patterns on my run-flats indicated a bad alignment and were causing the sound. (They were right) They recommended new tires an an alignment, which they offered to do for a mere $1800. (I said I'd get back to them)

I looked around online a bit and decided on Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid tires. Total damage including alignment = $627 from my local tire place. The G019 has good ratings on the various review sites, has a somewhat aggressive looking tread pattern, and has performed very well in the snow, rain, and dry asphalt.

For those switching away from run-flats: Prepare to be alarmed when you drive away from the dealer. It will feel like your car is silently hovering across the ground, and the lack of road noise the and lack of shuddering from every pebble, twig and ant you run over will be strange for a few minutes. After a few hours you'll wonder how you ever accepted driving on tires of stone.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Ladidah
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They looked everything over, said bearings are fine, and said the wear patterns on my run-flats indicated a bad alignment and were causing the sound. (They were right) They recommended new tires an an alignment, which they offered to do for a mere $1800. (I said I'd get back to them)
Whoa!

Have you driven with these tires on snow? I am considering a set but need something that is decent on snow. I used Blizzaks on my MCS (sold, and the tires went with it) but the appeal of having one set of tires year-round on my MCc is enticing.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:54 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am considering the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid's as well - they seem to have great ratings esp for snow according to the 15 Mini driver reviews on tirerack.