Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wrong way to put tires on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM
manish
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong way to put tires on?

So I put my stock tires and rims back on yesterday, after taking off the winter set. The are the stock 16" wheels and runflat Conti all season tires.

And they seem to be driving funny. I think I made the mistake of not marking which ones the fronts and rears were and just haphazardly threw them on yesterday. I'm noticing a whine coming from the tires now. Are the stock tires directional or anything like that? I tried to see if there were certain tires that went on a particular side, but didnt seem to be. I know I screwed up by not marking which should be on the front and which should be on the back. Manual says that they dont recommend swapping fronts to back.

Did I do anything else wrong? Any help?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If those tires are directional, then you should not exchange left and right. (Front to back is OK as it maintains the directionality.) Usually, directional tires have and arrow pointing in the rotation direction or something saying "this side out" (for those mounting the tire to the wheel). I think your particular tires are not directional (not sure though).

If your tires are non-directional, then maybe you have a more worn tire matched with a less worn tire left and right. Not sure if that is causing the sound though.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Are they all making the noise? Can you make it come and go with direction change?

I had a similar issue when I put my summer tires back on. Actually, it did it with my winter tires too. It sounded like a scrubbed tire. It happened when I turned left, was less pronounced when I went straight, and gone when I turned right. None of the tires were abnormally worn so I then suspected a wheel bearing. Turns out that's what it was. Quite an expensive little part, also had to get a mechanic to install it since I don't have any pneumatic tools (134 ft-lbs on the main axel nut)

Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 PM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's possible that you have directional tires and now have them on backwards. Easy to fix.
You didn't mention if your summer tires are runflats. I found that my runflats were much noisier than my winter tires. Could it be that you forgot how noisy your summer tires were?