Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Repairing Forged Rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing Forged Rims

Thinking of getting a set of SSR comps, but kind of worried about bending a rim. Can forged rims be repaired and are they more expensive? How much would it cost? Thanks all.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Thinking of getting a set of SSR comps, but kind of worried about bending a rim. Can forged rims be repaired and are they more expensive? How much would it cost? Thanks all.
Anything can be repaired if it is not too damaged.

Some questions for you-

Have you bent a rim before? Under what conditions?

Is your MINI lowered? Other suspension upgrades?

What tires do you plan to use?

How fast do you drive or take turns?

What are your local road conditions? Potholes?

SSR rims are fine if you are very very careful with street use and you have some tires that are somewhat forgiving and a suspension that is not made for the track and stiff.

You can hit a pothole at a slow speed but not going fast or you will risk damage.

Forged rims are strong and light but not that strong to be hitting potholes at speed. You generally don't want to be trying to fix a bent rim if you can avoid it.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Comments below in blue. Decisions Decisions...

Originally Posted by minihune
Anything can be repaired if it is not too damaged.

Some questions for you-

Have you bent a rim before? Under what conditions?

Yes, a "pothole." Usually about 1-1.5" deep and usually pretty small in my opinion, but it seems like the TDRs are very prone to bending...

Is your MINI lowered? Other suspension upgrades?

No, but I'm intending on running BC coilovers and probably dropping it to be about a little bit less than a finger width from the tires.

What tires do you plan to use?

I'm currently on 17" TDR Pro Race 1 and I'm thinking of going to 16" SSR comps. I'm hoping the extra meat on the tire protects it a little bit. Tire will most likely be comparable to Goodyear F1 GS-D3s

How fast do you drive or take turns?

Relatively fast but nothing crazy imo

What are your local road conditions? Potholes?

Usually small potholes that aren't too bad in my opinion, but everytime I get no tires that need to be balanced, I feel like discount tire is telling me that a rim is bent. I'm just tired of it all...

SSR rims are fine if you are very very careful with street use and you have some tires that are somewhat forgiving and a suspension that is not made for the track and stiff.

You can hit a pothole at a slow speed but not going fast or you will risk damage.

Forged rims are strong and light but not that strong to be hitting potholes at speed. You generally don't want to be trying to fix a bent rim if you can avoid it.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
They can be fixed and it costs the same as if the rim wasn't forged. In some instances, a bent rim can't be fixed 100% but they will get it as close as possible. Usually around $130-150 depending on the size of the wheel and the finish desired.

I've used Turbax and Wheels America. Had a better experience with Turbax, albeit a tiny bit more expensive.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Thinking of getting a set of SSR comps, ...
OK, If you drive carefully-

Slower if it is dark outside or if it is rainy
Slower if it is an unfamiliar area or if there is construction on the roads

Then 16" SSR rims will probably be OK even with lowering.

Tire size would be 205/50-16 for several reasons. Better handling vs 205/55-16 and shorter than stock tire diameter for better clearance with lowered suspension but still good amount of sidewall not like 40 or 45 series sidewall.

In that size Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star spec for $116, 200 treadwear is quite good performance tire. Not that expensive all things considered but it won't last quite as long so don't go crazy on the cornering. Keep air pressure up and rotate tires every 3000 miles.

Get an alignment with new set of tires or about every two years.

The other great tire option you have is-
Run with stock suspension
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 in 205/55-16 or 225/50-16 since you'll likely have 16x7 rims. Both are a little taller than stock at 24.9" but that is OK with stock suspension or if you have coilovers that you can adjust ride height to exactly what you want. You can still lower the MINI but not quite as much. Alternatively you can use adjustable lower rear control arms to make the rear camber more negative for better clearance in the rears. If you choose an SSR with less offset you will have less clearance.

205/55-16 gives you more sidewall for more comfort and a little less risk for rim damage- same with 225/50-16 vs 205/50-16. RE-11 is a great performance tire but costs more $143 and $156 respectively. 180 treadwear