Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

40MM offset be lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 09:42 AM
mobygjc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a pair of MSR 113 that have a 40mm offset and on a 215/45 tire. Do you think it would be able to be lowered a little...like with the H&R Springs? If I get some rubbing, I think I can just trim the plastic on the inside. (Some ppl have done this already when it comes to rubbing)

Old 10-11-2003, 11:44 PM
mobygjc
3rd Gear
Old 10-12-2003, 12:03 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>I have a pair of MSR 113 that have a 40mm offset and on a 215/45 tire. Do you think it would be able to be lowered a little...like with the H&R Springs? If I get some rubbing, I think I can just trim the plastic on the inside. (Some ppl have done this already when it comes to rubbing)

Read this
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mp;topic=14882
From that, RandyBMC wrote:
wheel offsets are confusing. The larger the number, the farther in the wheel sits from the hub. That means that the 48mm offset on the factory wheels is farther in than your 42mm wheels. With a spacer of say 5mm, your new effective offset would be 37mm.

Here are some offset issues we have found:

H-Sport springs

Minimum offset number 40mm

H&R springs

Minimum offset number 42mm

Stock springs

Minimum offset number 37mm

The maximum tire sizes have also been a debated number - and the answer to that quesiton is really "it depends". It depends on the tire manufacturer, the camber the car is running, and believe it or not, the car itself (there are significant variations in the bodies of the MINI as far as fitments are concerned). A definite safe bet is a 215/45/16 or 17. A risky tire size is any 225 - but it can be done in certain set-ups. Heck, even a 235 can be used with the right amount of trimming and camber.

Hope that helps some!

Randy
----------
So if we read this right your 215/45 tires are OK as long as they are 16 or 17"- you did not say which.
Your 40mm offset is OK but only with stock springs or lowered with H-sport.
H&R springs require a minimum offset of 42mm. Talk to RandyBMC if you have questions.
Good luck.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:16 AM
mobygjc
3rd Gear
wow Minihune, YOU ROCK. Thank you so much, this info is very very very Helpful. Thanks again, if I ever meet you, I'll buy you LunchBeer.

P.S Yes they are 17X7 Rims.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:30 AM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
ok so correct me if i'm wrong... i plan on using an 18X7.5 rim, with 215/35 tires. it has a 45mm offset, and i want to lower it.... can i use any springs?? or if i lower will there be scraping?

Old 10-13-2003, 05:36 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
>>ok so correct me if i'm wrong... i plan on using an 18X7.5 rim, with 215/35 tires. it has a 45mm offset, and i want to lower it.... can i use any springs?? or if i lower will there be scraping?

OK, think of it this way. You have a width, within the wheel well, in which to fit a tire. Anything you do to alter the position of the wheel and tire in the well changes what can or cannot fit within there. Lowering changes the camber in a good way since the angle between the wheel plane and the strut plane is narrower.

In Randy's write up, each of those minimum numbers will keep the tire from rubbing against the _OUTSIDE_ of the wheel well. If the numbers are smaller, ie. 35 instead of 37, you'll probably have to trim the plastic well liner to keep from rubbing. Too much and you'll have to trim metal. This is also dependent on wheel and tire width. If you go to TireRack and look at any performance tires' SPECs, you'll see that the section and tread widths are prefaced with the width of the rim. This is because the narrower the wheel the narrower the section and tread.

But you also need to consider interference on the inside with the spring, and on the front, at full steering lock. The smaller the spring diameter, the greater the width of the well. And where a wheel/tire may rub on a stock-sized spring, they may not on a set of coilovers (typically 4.5" vs. 3" diameter.)

One last thing, if you purchase a rim that causes rubbing on the outside of the well (low numerical offset) there is little that can be done but shave the car. But if you rub on the inside (high numerical offset) you can add spacer to lower you effective offset and move the wheel/tire away from the spring.

Bottom line, you're probably fine with the 45 mm. 215 does fit inside the normal amount of well width. If you use coilovers to lower your car,, you'll buy yourself some extra space. And if you're hitting on the spring, add a small spacer (3-5 mm). Note: there are some caveats that need to be considered when usng spacers but inverstigate them only if needed. Frankly, I think you choose wisely.