Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Dunlop Direzza's or General exclaims UHP tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunlop Direzza's or General exclaims UHP tires

So, my konig feathers are on their way to me from Alta... now I'm contemplating which rubbers to put on these bad boys.... I have narrowed it down to the Dunlop direzza's and the General Exclaim UHP tires. Any opinions on these from current owners? I'm leaning more towards the dunlops but have heard good things from the UHP's as well... and it seems a little less expensive. by the way, size will be 215/45/17 on 17 x7 silver konig feathers. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to tirerack's tests, the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is significantly superior in all categories - more comfortable, less noise, better handling, better braking.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Z1 star spec is a great tire, just a little noisy.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
hefro
3rd Gear
I have been happy with the Exclaims UHPs.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Dunlop sells more than one tire under the Direzza name. I suspect he was talking about the DZ101 which is a UHP summer like the Exclaims.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
the way I read all of the reviews on TireRack they indicate that Direzza 101 is pretty horrible in the rain but, with very soft sidewall. Generals UHP are better in the rain but sacrifice handling with soft sidewall as well.
I would really want to hear from some current owners of both tires as I am looking at these two models as well.
I would love to hear what the current owner was expecting from the new tire and what is the priority in terms of tire expectations.
I have the Dunlop SP5000 runflats on now and I love the crisp handling and don't mind the tire stiffness until I occasionally hit a bad concrete joint. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the runflats.
for me the list of tire priorities goes like this:
1. Price
2. Handling
3. Gripp
4. Comfort
5. Noise
6. Threadwear

Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
Do you have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2? If so, how does it compare in noise? Tirerack gives it a higher rating (less noise). What tires are you comparing it to?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
benjam83
4th Gear
Granted this is the first Ultra-ridiculous-maximum-high-performance-summer tire I've ever used, but the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs are awesome! Yeah, they're noisier than what was previously on the car. They grip like it's no one's business! I was surprised at how well they work in the rain. I thought it was going to be a joke but there was still plenty of grip.

Even at a rain soaked autoX, which I just did this weekend. They did great especially considering all of the large standing puddles throughout the course.

My only complaint is that they were a tad pricey. I wonder if I could have gotten a wider different tire that would have been cheaper and still yeilded similar grip levels.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
redevil
2nd Gear
I just installed some 215/45/17 General Exclaim UHP's. They are great tires so far, haven't had the opportunity to test them on hotter conditions as it is still cold where I am. But for the price and overall reviews they were good for my type of driving. I wanted something that was quiet and had decent tread wear. So far I would buy them again.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
I have these tires and haven't really noticed the noise. I cant hear them over the engine/wind noise the MINI normally makes...... Maybe I just never noticed?

I love the performance of the tire though. I would recommend these to everyone who needs an everyday tire but may go to the track once in a while or just likes to drive a bit more spirited. They are priced really good too IMO.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Do you have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2? If so, how does it compare in noise? Tirerack gives it a higher rating (less noise). What tires are you comparing it to?
I'm trying to get some PE2s now to replace the current Goodyears on Shawn, but they're out of stock everywhere.

I made a posting about my experiences with the Direzzas. They're probably about as noisy as the first runflats I got rid of, but quite a bit noisier than Yokohama S.Drives.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hefro
I have been happy with the Exclaims UHPs.
+1
Replaced my BFG KDW with the Generals, mostly because at the time I was out of work and needed an inexpensive tire. I have been very pleased with them for everyday use and they are wearing FAR better than the BFG's.
I would buy them again

Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
According to Tire Rack testing, the Star Spec is the new king of the hill. Note that the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is the new version of the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1.

Here's the test:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=107

Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 AM
dtsoccer6
5th Gear
I have both tires on two lightweight sets of wheels. I use the Dunlops for track/auto-x on my Team D 1.2s and the generals for everyday driving on my OZ Alleggerita HLT's.

Honestly, in my experience with the Generals, great performing in dry and wet, sticky in the hot, and they really last a long time, even under hard driving. Comfortable, softer on the sidewall, but rarely make any noise. Very happy with them, and I will continue to buy for daily driving tires. Plus, the price is right!!

The Dunlops I have yet to try, but my buddy on here Slinger said he LOVES them and they are wonderful for the track. The tread wear on the Dunlops is significantly less than the General, which is why I only run it on the track, I'll get more use out of them for sure. My buddy runs them on the street too and in the heavy rain on the way home from the track, he had great control over the car.

All in all, two great tires, you really don't lose in any category when looking for high/max performance summer tires. I would say you will get better grip from the Dunlops for sure, but the only thing is the tread wear...the Dunlops are a bit pricey and you don't to be replacing those every summer!

my 0.02

PS - My sig picture is me in the Generals.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM
the platform
5th Gear
z1's rule

I've had the z1's for 6 months/7000 miles.They are truly amazing(especially the first 3000 miles).It has to be one of the sharpest cornering,responsive tires out there!
MY BIG NAGGING QUESTION:what can I buy with comparable performance,longer wear and less price??
...tall order huh

Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
cpayne
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the platform
I've had the z1's for 6 months/7000 miles.They are truly amazing(especially the first 3000 miles).It has to be one of the sharpest cornering,responsive tires out there!
MY BIG NAGGING QUESTION:what can I buy with comparable performance,longer wear and less price??
...tall order huh
2nd that..they are a sick..sick tire..I LOVE them on the street and track! Heck I have driven them when snowing twice in Denver! (wet but not snow packed streets..but ~32F)

Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
I think everyone got confused with the Dunlop. You said the Direzza but you are probably referring to the DZ101 not the Star Spec. The Star Spec is a totally different tire. I have it on the RX7 since that car sees lots of track time and has lots of power to manage.

considering the two mentioned tires, I'd recommend looking at the Kumho SPT. I love that tire for a fun DD kinda car that also sees some fun weekend driving. Also good in the wet on the Mini.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PenelopeG3
I think everyone got confused with the Dunlop. You said the Direzza but you are probably referring to the DZ101 not the Star Spec. The Star Spec is a totally different tire. I have it on the RX7 since that car sees lots of track time and has lots of power to manage.

considering the two mentioned tires, I'd recommend looking at the Kumho SPT. I love that tire for a fun DD kinda car that also sees some fun weekend driving. Also good in the wet on the Mini.
...agreed
The spt was my previous tire.
For the money and perf,khumo may lure me back.