Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Potenza RE-11 vs Advan Neova AD08

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potenza RE-11 vs Advan Neova AD08

I'm thinking about a new set of wheels and tires for my JCW. My OEM Challenge wheels have Potenza all-seasons and will be used for the cold weather months.

I'm looking at getting the OZ Alleggerita wheels (in white) and am trying to decide on tires. These will double duty as daily drivers in warm weather months and for a couple of track weekends a year. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 in 205/45/17. They run about the same price.

Can anyone compare/contrast these? They are new but I'm hoping somebody has some experience with them already. When I had my M3 it had Yoko Advan Sports on it. They were very grippy but made an awful lot of noise during hard cornering.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:46 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
If you are only doing a couple of track weekends a year, why not look at an equally competent tire that costs less - like the Dunlop Star Spec or the Kumho XS. Assuming they are availble...

It seems like you can't go wrong with either of those tires. I'd pick the one that offers the better communication when it is at the limits. Makes for a safer, extreme driving experience.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PenelopeG3
If you are only doing a couple of track weekends a year, why not look at an equally competent tire that costs less - like the Dunlop Star Spec or the Kumho XS. Assuming they are availble...
Are you saying the the Dunlop Star Spec or the Kumho XS are better for what I want than the Potenza or Neova? They don't come in 205/45/17 anyway. I once had a pair of Kumho Ecsta MX on my M3 and did not like them on the track. They did not provide much feedback and needed a lot of heat to get adequate grip.

Originally Posted by PenelopeG3
It seems like you can't go wrong with either of those tires. I'd pick the one that offers the better communication when it is at the limits. Makes for a safer, extreme driving experience.
Thanks, I understand that. I already have a bit of track experience (Adv. run group + 2-day BMW M School).

I'm leaning towards the Neova. They are 4 lbs lighter at 19 lbs. (my wheels will be 14.2 lbs).

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I just placed my order for the OZ wheels with Yoko Advan Neova 205/45/17.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
EXLR8TG
Neutral
I have the RE-ll's and have had them at two track days - Laguna Seca and Spring Mountain. Awesome!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:21 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I just placed my order for the OZ wheels with Yoko Advan Neova 205/45/17.
RaceTripper, how do you like your Yoko Advan Neovas? I am getting ready to order a new set of extreme performance tires soon and I am trying to decide between the Potenza RE-11's and the Advan Neova AD08's.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by uzun
RaceTripper, how do you like your Yoko Advan Neovas? I am getting ready to order a new set of extreme performance tires soon and I am trying to decide between the Potenza RE-11's and the Advan Neova AD08's.
They have been great on the street for warm weather driving, but the front right chunked badly on me at the end of the second day of tracking (with 1000 street miles on the tires). I paid attention to tire pressure and heat (using a probing pyrometer). On the first day there was even a Yoko rep at the track who took measurements and agreed I had proper inflation. I had to replace the tire at my cost.

At first the Yoko rep said they would replace it. They said they wanted to check all my tires at their facility to determine reason for failure, but then they backpedalled and reneged claiming that isn't what they meant. Then when I replaced my tire at my expenses, they asked me to keep the damaged tire and they would claim it for testing, and they reneged on that too. It's still sitting in my garage. Then they offered to reimburse me for the $5 disposal fee. Right, thanks so frakkin' much. It's not the $5, it's my time to deal with it. Hey Yoko, I offer to never be your customer again, and I promise not to renege on that either.

Alex at Tire Rack was far more sympathetic. He provided a replacement tire at a discounted price.

Yokohama = worst customer service experience ever!
My next set of tires will the the RE-11, and I will not track on the Neovas again.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:48 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Sorry about your bad experience and thanks for that information. I will go with the RE-11's.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was about to buy a set of the Yoko's because of the lower weight but after reading this and the fact that my REO1r's have been great...Think I'm leaning to the 11's again...Thanks

Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Kumho XS sound better suited for the occasional track days, but they do suck in rain. They are light tires as well.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:08 PM
ralphie
1st Gear
Regarding the Kumho XS; compared with the Continental ContactSport 3 SSR and 70% Falken RT-215

Kumho has unnoticable to silent tyre noise, a very comfy ride, good steering although not as reactive as the other tyres (perhaps a trade off for softer sidewalls) which though transmits less info gives more confidence to concentrate on driving instead of following and transmitting road imperfections to you. Wear wise, ive driven 1000kms and the new tyre paint marks are still on the rear tyres. Haven't managed to break traction on these tyres. These were a kilo lighter than the CS3 SSR tyres each.

The CS3 SSR tyres were well suited to the car - neutral steering, braking, acceleration with very minimal roll and pitching. A bit noisier and relatively bumpy. Grippy too. If you wanted these perhaps go for the CS3 normal tyres which should be lighter than the XS with a better ride. Wear was same as Kumho.

RT 215 broke traction on hard acceleration, steering was quite weird with uneven weighting in and out of turns and when changing lanes. Ride was on par with the CS3 SSR. Some howling noise. Due to pitching and the odd steering these were 'fun' to drive on.

I haven't driven in the rain so cant comment in that regards and these comments are driving on the road not track.

I find bridgestones are a little unforgiving in ride and wear. Otherwise good grippy tyres.

Thumbs up for the Kumho XS. A quiet, dry grippy and good riding tyre. I am happy with them!

Last edited by ralphie; 01-16-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
mlg2ca
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EXLR8TG
I have the RE-ll's and have had them at two track days - Laguna Seca and Spring Mountain. Awesome!
Can you tell us more about your track experience with the RE-11s ? I'm debating between these, the RE070 or Dunlop Star Spec but would have to get 215s vs 205. Not sure this would clear the strut/spring assy.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mlg2ca,

Almost all the street tires can chuck at the track especially if you do not shave them, heat cycle them or run them (a lot) on the street first to wear them down to about 6-7/32 thread. AutoX oriented high performance tires, such as those mentioned in this thread, have a lot of grip when they are relatively cold, but can have a tendency to grease up during the end of a session (generally about 15-16 minutes) when the tire temps approach 260-280 degrees F and above. All tires have a range they work well in and when they become too hot, they lose their grip.

I run quite a bit of track with a few Minis using RE11s and they last about 6-8 days before chunking, same with the Star Spec Dunlops that I have been using last year.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
BTW, forgot to mention, I would go with 215/45/17 size.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:23 PM
mlg2ca
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
BTW, forgot to mention, I would go with 215/45/17 size.
Thanks slinger. As you can see, I haven't made my decision as yet. I'm leaning towards the RE11.

So do you know that 215s will fit ?

BTW, looked at your Monticello thread and web site of SCDA. I'll have to join you there one of these seasons.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mlg2ca
Thanks slinger. As you can see, I haven't made my decision as yet. I'm leaning towards the RE11.

So do you know that 215s will fit ?

BTW, looked at your Monticello thread and web site of SCDA. I'll have to join you there one of these seasons.
They fit well w/o any problems. I ran two sets of 215/45/17s last year and one set of 205/50/16. I liked the 215 s a lot better.

You have to come down to Monticello May 17 with us if you can. Perhaps on the way to NJ??

The guys that run the RE11 really do like them.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
quick question

Thanks for the thread. It's time for me to put new shoes on the GP. I'm running 215/45/17 with BBS wheels. Sounds like I should go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE011.

Quick question. At the Tire Rack site, I see two flavors, one is "91W" and the other is "87W" ... for my GP, the original tractor tires that came on the cartoon wheels (OK, yes, I do think the wheels are distinctive, but they are too narrow and they are 18") were "82W" ...

Which one should I run with in the RE011, the 87W or the 91W?

Also, I notice there is an RE-11 and an RE011, the RE-11 has UTQG 180 and the RE011 has UTQG of 140. The RE011 are a touch more expensive than the RE-11, and all other things being equal, I understand the lower number means they should be stickier but will wear faster.

Anything else to that story, or is there some reason to stick with the RE-11 rather than RE011?

I know you've got to pay to play, I'm not tracking the GP (might do one weekend event this year, it would be the first for me in the GP), and I'd like more grip than my current S.drive tires.

Thanks for your comments and help. I hope I'm not considered hijacking the thread, it popped up and had good dialog, and I'd sure appreciate some advice for my next set of tires.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:25 AM
mlg2ca
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GoodFinder
Thanks for the thread. It's time for me to put new shoes on the GP. I'm running 215/45/17 with BBS wheels. Sounds like I should go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE011.

Quick question. At the Tire Rack site, I see two flavors, one is "91W" and the other is "87W" ... for my GP, the original tractor tires that came on the cartoon wheels (OK, yes, I do think the wheels are distinctive, but they are too narrow and they are 18") were "82W" ...

Which one should I run with in the RE011, the 87W or the 91W?

Also, I notice there is an RE-11 and an RE011, the RE-11 has UTQG 180 and the RE011 has UTQG of 140. The RE011 are a touch more expensive than the RE-11, and all other things being equal, I understand the lower number means they should be stickier but will wear faster.

Anything else to that story, or is there some reason to stick with the RE-11 rather than RE011?

I know you've got to pay to play, I'm not tracking the GP (might do one weekend event this year, it would be the first for me in the GP), and I'd like more grip than my current S.drive tires.

Thanks for your comments and help. I hope I'm not considered hijacking the thread, it popped up and had good dialog, and I'd sure appreciate some advice for my next set of tires.
GoodFinder,

The difference between the 2 flavours mentionned above is the load rating. As you go with a wider tire, generally the load rating (number) goes up. The W is for the speed rating.

I will go for the RE-11 because I will use them for the track and therefore want maximum grip. If you're not going to track the car and will use them mostly on the road, then you may want something that will last a little longer. Depends of course of how and how much you drive and $$$ you're willing to spend.