Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Carbotech, Porterfield, Ferodo ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM
EBR53
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe on the MINI but we didn't see that on the Saturn or the Sentra, both of which even have a little better weight distribution than the MINI. Of course, these were gutted cars running several hundred pounds lighter than the MINI but they were running R-Comps. We didn't even have issues at the end of the long Mid-Ohio back straight.

I'm going out this weekend and I've usually in the fastest group with my other cars, unless real race cars show up then I run in the intermediate. I'm assuming Saturday will be no different. I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM rears don't hold up. Just the same, I doubt a race pad will be required. If the rears do get trashed, it's no big deal. They were on the car when I bought it. I'll buy a good "crossover" pad for out back.

I may end up getting a true BBK for the fronts (and Todd I'll call when I do) but for the time being, I think the used R56 brake upgrade is a good bang for the buck and can use cheap rotors, for now.

I agree, brakes are not the place to save money and investing in the fronts on a FWD car is important. The rears simply don't do much. If the MINI is somehow different, I guess I'll know. I looked at a NASA GTS Corrado a few weeks ago for sale locally. Same deal. Running HT10s up front and HP Plus out back. Seems to work for many racers, I don't know why it wouldn't for HPDE days.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget Ferodo 2500 pads as daily drivers. They may be a great track pad but they are dirty and noisey for daily use.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 PM
miniminn
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for the replies. It definitely has helped. I guess the JCW mini's pads are a little more aggressive than the regular S cooper (per AutoXcooper). So this weekend I will be running the stock JCW rears and the xp10's in the front. I will be getting some more aggressive ones for the rears later (for the next event).

Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 PM
G67mcs
1st Gear
I've been running Ferodo 2500 pads up front on the street for the past four years with no ill effects. They have been a little less dusty than stock and only occasionaly emitt some noise. A very good trade off from the stock pad in terms of performance.

However I'm currently researching pads because I'm about to replace my first set of stock rotors on my 03' MCS. Carbotechs are sounding pretty good, but I'm still exploring options and might stick with the 2500's.

Garry

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I am more then pleased with the results after using Carbotech Pads.To me it's about alot less brake dust.Q

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 AM
miniminn
2nd Gear
I used the XP10's at the track and liked them. Not as much initial bite as the stock JCW pads but great modulation.

Has anyone that has used the XP10's on the front have felt a noise when backing up? I mean forward and backwards movement. The pads must move for and aft, which worries me. They make an initial noise anytime you change like if they are hitting the caliper as the move inside.

I wonder if I got the wrong size. Anyone else with that problem?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniminn
I used the XP10's at the track and liked them. Not as much initial bite as the stock JCW pads but great modulation.

Has anyone that has used the XP10's on the front have felt a noise when backing up? I mean forward and backwards movement. The pads must move for and aft, which worries me. They make an initial noise anytime you change like if they are hitting the caliper as the move inside.

I've gotten that sound with the XP10s and the 1521 on the front. It goes away after a while and is not a problem.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:36 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I get some fore/aft clicking on most brake pads - not just the CTs. But I do get it on all my CTs.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Originally Posted by miniminn

Good to hear you liked the XP10's. The point of having modulation is to not have that "bite" you had with the OEM pads.

The reason why you have that click is because CT doesn't use the shims on the back of the pads to hold the pad tighter when not engaged. This allows them to give you more pad.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
miniminn
2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies, that makes me feel better. And by the way I don't just like the XP10's, I LOVE THEM. Every time I think about going into a corner after a long straight is how much CONTROL you have over the braking. Really GREAT. Now I just have to get the rears, XP10 vs XP8's.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
The XP10/8 combo works great for me. And I ran them on the street for awhile, still stop great when "cold," but mine squeal like the dickens on dusty, dirty roads. Eventually removed them from all four corners, rather run something cheaper daily driving..