Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

mini spare for R56

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:48 AM
fignewton
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini spare for R56

Got a question. Thinking about picking up a spare from an 07/08 Mini or Cooper and carry in my 08 MCS and ditch the RFs. When I go on trips, I want the security of a spare, as I had what could have turned out to be an "adventure" with a flat on my RF that was punctured in 2 places by a piece of metal.
Here's the question. Mini Mania shows that the donut they sell has a diameter of 21.34". The tire size calculator shows our 205/45/17s as being roughly 24.3". I know I would have to use the spare only on the rear due to the brakes, but wouldn't the 3" difference in overall diameter (thus rotation) screw up the ABS sensors and all connected to it, like DSC, etc.?
What's the thinking here?
Thx,
Fig

Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The standard MINI spare according to the manual is 175/65-15, which has a 24" diameter. That surprises me as it looks a lot smaller than the standard tire. I wouldn't be surprised if it screwed up the DSC etc, its only meant to be driven a short distance at slow speed, 50 miles at 50 mph. Enough to get to the next tire shop, not something you should need DSC for.

When I tried fitting a MINI spare (Tristan's) to an MCS (Shawn) I heard rubbing even when mounted on the rear, so I'm not convinced about that.

My next idea for a spare was to buy the cheapest full size wheel/tire combo Tirerack sells. I'm not going to be carrying a spare regularly, just on special occasions when I'm motoring through wilderness. Now I've got dedicated track wheel/tires I'll just take one of those with me.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 AM
fignewton
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
When I tried fitting a MINI spare (Tristan's) to an MCS (Shawn) I heard rubbing even when mounted on the rear, so I'm not convinced about that.
Could you tell what was rubbing on the rear? For example was the wheel hitting the rotor/caliper, the tire hitting the suspension, etc.?
I don't want to go buy a donut if it's not right for the car, even on the rear.

Anyone else ever actually installed and used the donut on their R56?
Thx
Fig

Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fignewton
Could you tell what was rubbing on the rear? For example was the wheel hitting the rotor/caliper, the tire hitting the suspension, etc.?
It sounded like like was coming from the brakes somewhere.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
i've been on the fence about this. i've got snow tires so i CAN just carry one of these but if i need space i'm thinking i'm going to buy a slime kit. they look pretty good in a worst case senario. have you looked at it? there's the good kit for like 90$ shipped.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
I picked up the Continental Comfort Kit from Tire Rack for $70. It has the slime built in. You can use the compressor without it, too. I keep that and a Dynaplug Kit in the car for peace of mind, and I have AAA to cover Roadside Assistance when I don't want to go to a Mini dealer.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 AM
fignewton
2nd Gear
I carry a small compressor with me all the time. Last time I took a trip from VA to NC, on a Sat morning in the pouring rain, the TPMS warning came on. Pulled over, and checked pressues. Left rear read zero. Hooked up my compressor, and air was coming out as fast as it was going in.
I'm in the middle of nowhere, but got off Rt 64 into a little town that fortunately had a mom&pop little tire shop. I'm sitting here looking at the piece of metal they pulled out of the runflat. It is like a big staple thingie, ecept imagine the staple being 3/8" wide, square on both ends. It punctured the tire in two places, about 3/8" apart, so 2 big holes.
I did not know if they would be able to get the RF off the rim, given the tight bead and sidewalls, and was worried about messing up the sensor. Fortunately, they were able to get it off, patched internally, and sent me on my way. BUT... it could have been different. Even with AAA, where would they have taken my car? What capability would they have had? My Mini book shows that there are only 2 dealers in all of NC, and the nearest one was 150 miles away. If the tire could not have been fixed, what was the probability of getting another 205/45/17 tire on Saturday afternoon. Plus, my wife and I were over 200 miles from home. Slime would not have fixed this, and I'm not sure that multiple dynaplugs would have worked given the hole was not a typical round puncture such as a screw or nail would cause.
Fortunately, I didn't have my 2 dogs with me too.
I then decided that for any trip out of the immediate area, I want to have a spare with me. If I replace the RFs, I'll def want one, even tho I have roadside assistance. That doesn't do you any good if the car can't be moved without a tow. My decision now is whether to carry a full-size from my spare set with all-seasons with me on long trips or all the time; or get a space saver for my 80 miles a day of commuting.
Someone aslo said that your TPMS will tell you if your tire is going down and you can just go get some air. How many people have walked out to their car in the driveway, parking lot, etc. and found a tire perfectly flat? Happened to me 3 or 4 times over the years.
Wrote MiniMania to see what they have to say about the rubbing issue. It also occurred to me that maybe the stock wheel bolts used for alloy wheels may be too long for use with the stamped steel wheel, which could allow the bolt to protrude too deeply through the hub. I've seen this issue before. Need to pull a wheel and look at clearances with the bolts screwed all the way in to see if it's OK or not.
Fig