Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Meguiar's D-Line Professional Wheel Brightener

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:19 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiar's D-Line Professional Wheel Brightener

Just got my 09 MCS with the 17" Challenge Wheels.

Is the Meguiar's D-Line Professional Wheel Brightener about the best cleaner to use for them?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 AM
ChiliWORKs
2nd Gear
Why not just use double or triple strength of your favorite car wash solution in a spray bottle. Along with a wheel brush, you should make quick work of those multi spokes. I happen to use the cheap Turtle Wax ICE car wash from Costco and it works great. You will save money since you're only buying one cleaner for the whole car.

BTW, I would avoid Wheel Brightner if you can. It can turn your wheels off color after repeated uses since it's a strong acid. It also contains some nasty flouride compounds that can have long term negative health effects.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Been using just soap and water so far with a brush, but those darn spokes... which is why I started looking into a wheel cleaner.

How about Eagle One A2Z which I have heard is suppose to be the best available to buy locally and avoid having to order on line.

Originally Posted by ChiliWORKs
Why not just use double or triple strength of your favorite car wash solution in a spray bottle. Along with a wheel brush, you should make quick work of those multi spokes. I happen to use the cheap Turtle Wax ICE car wash from Costco and it works great. You will save money since you're only buying one cleaner for the whole car.

BTW, I would avoid Wheel Brightner if you can. It can turn your wheels off color after repeated uses since it's a strong acid. It also contains some nasty flouride compounds that can have long term negative health effects.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll have to try the triple strength car wash solution.

I learned from others on the forum when I need to clean really nasty wheels about half-strength Simple Green sprayed on, wait for a minute then wipe or brush. You still have to touch the brake dust with a rag or brush, but it comes right off without any effort.

It also will take off any wax or protectant on the wheel, which is why I'm going to try the car was solution next time.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This discussion is going on right now over in Detailing 101. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cleaners.html

Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
ChiliWORKs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Been using just soap and water so far with a brush, but those darn spokes... which is why I started looking into a wheel cleaner.

How about Eagle One A2Z which I have heard is suppose to be the best available to buy locally and avoid having to order on line.
I used to be religious with Eagle One A2Z (it's great, but expensive) until I realized I could save some dough with just using its 'locked' empty spray bottles for my strong dilution of car wash. The aeration nozzle on the EO A2Z spray bottle is great for sudsing up my solution applications. In any case, no matter which wheel cleaner you use, even properly diluted Wheel Brightener, you will still need to use a brush of some sort for agitating the tough stuff. I think once you're at a point where the cleaner can melt off every spec of crud on your wheels, it may be too strong of an acid at that point and bad for your wheels clearcoat.

The key to keeping those Challenge wheels easier to clean in the long run is to do an initial thorough cleaning and application of a durable good sealant/wax. I prefer to use something like Collinite #845 which is inexpensive, easy on and off, but very durable. Followup bi-monthly cleanings will be much faster with just the pressure of spray solution and blast from a hose being enough to take off at least 75% of the grime in one hit since it's atop a slick surface.

BTW, Congrats on the 09 S.

Last edited by ChiliWORKs; 05-21-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Yeah, been using UPP on the wheels so far; helps keep them slick.

Originally Posted by ChiliWORKs
I used to be religious with Eagle One A2Z (it's great, but expensive) until I realized I could save some dough with just using its 'locked' empty spray bottles for my strong dilution of car wash. The aeration nozzle on the EO A2Z spray bottle is great for sudsing up my solution applications. In any case, no matter which wheel cleaner you use, even properly diluted Wheel Brightener, you will still need to use a brush of some sort for agitating the tough stuff. I think once you're at a point where the cleaner can melt off every spec of crud on your wheels, it may be too strong of an acid at that point and bad for your wheels clearcoat.

The key to keeping those Challenge wheels easier to clean in the long run is to do an initial thorough cleaning and application of a durable good sealant/wax. I prefer to use something like Collinite #845 which is inexpensive, easy on and off, but very durable. Followup bi-monthly cleanings will be much faster with just the pressure of spray solution and blast from a hose being enough to take off at least 75% of the grime in one hit since it's atop a slick surface.

BTW, Congrats on the 09 S.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Just got my 09 MCS with the 17" Challenge Wheels.

Is the Meguiar's D-Line Professional Wheel Brightener about the best cleaner to use for them?
I use wheel brightener about once a month and am very happy with the results. It is very harsh but the instructions tell you to only leave it on 60 seconds and wash off.
So far with over two years of use no ill effects.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Curious why you only use it once a month?

Debating on going the Double or triple strength car wash solution in a spray bottle route, Eagle One A2Z, or Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner.

Originally Posted by thulchatt
I use wheel brightener about once a month and am very happy with the results. It is very harsh but the instructions tell you to only leave it on 60 seconds and wash off.
So far with over two years of use no ill effects.