Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Max Performance v Ultra High Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
And others in the range are worse at 140.

It's really a stupid argument. If the difference between 180 and 200 bugs you, don't buy the Advan Neova AD08, and don't buy the Potenza RE-11 either, or the RE-050, etc.

The AD07s tested as the fastest street tire last year at TireRack. The AD08 successor is just not a tire to pick if you are going to worry about wear -- get something else in that case!!!

Get this tire (or the Potenza RE-11, also 180) if you want the extreme in street legal tire performance. It's really more suited for those of us who want to track or AutoX their car occasionally without going to a r-comp (which will wear even faster).

Whoa..........take a break dude. I don't have any problem with your arguement, just with the tread wear ratings on some of the tires. Just because you want track performance for the street doesn't mean we all want to give up better wear.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM
colinmini
5th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
First, I must admit that my wife is the Tread Compound Section Manager for Bridgestone, so please keep this in mind.

I have had the RE-750's and RE-010 R's on my Mini. The RE-750's were good but got noisy towards 10K miles, gave those to a friend with a Mini and moved up to the RE-010R's. Love these tires, tons of dry grip and incredible wet grip. A bunch of us were on the Dragon in a down pour and these tires were just unbelievable.

I'm not expecting to get more than 10-15K from these, but then I plan to move up to the RE-11's which are suppost to be even better.

RE-760's tread wear rating is 340, (same as my RE-750's)
RE-11's tread wear rating is 180, (same as my RE-010 R's)

Bridgestone is making some high quality products.

I agree to look at the Tirerack's owner's survey.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:14 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigshot
Whoa..........take a break dude. I don't have any problem with your arguement, just with the tread wear ratings on some of the tires. Just because you want track performance for the street doesn't mean we all want to give up better wear.
You say you don't have a problem with my argument, but qualify it by saying you have a problem with tread wear ratings on some tire. I don't think you get my argument. But that's alright, it's not important.

But you are certainly right -- super grippy, low tread life tires are definitely not for everyone. There are great tires with higher wear ratings. Plenty to choose from.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... and to mis-apply the quote from Pirates of the Caribbean:
Sparrow: "I thought you were supposed to keep to the (UTQG) code!"
Gibbs: "We figured they were more actual *guidelines* "

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

Treadwear Grades

UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2

Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Two Sheds
Neutral

I read that too before I started this thread. The reason I asked was trying to see if people had used some of the tires from both categories and if there really was a huge difference between the categories in terms of tread life and performance.

In the end I have decided to go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport which as long as the wheel I've picked out fits the car. I pick the car up friday and then go and get the new wheels and tires fitted saturday morning.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:09 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 or 18? Personally, if I had to do it again, I may actually go 16 with a wider tire, 17 max. The ride/handling tradeoffs are huge between 16 and 17, and again between 17 and 18.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 AM
hohod
2nd Gear
Two Sheds: Your impression of the 760's so far?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
17 or 18? Personally, if I had to do it again, I may actually go 16 with a wider tire, 17 max. The ride/handling tradeoffs are huge between 16 and 17, and again between 17 and 18.
I know the ride trade-offs are huge, but are the handling trade-offs that great? A lot of racers seem to like the smaller wheels because of reduced unsprung weight.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hohod
Two Sheds: Your impression of the 760's so far?
I picked up this tire and mounted it last week. I have 205/60/16 size and coming from Dunlop runflats.I'm very aggressive driver that treats every trip like an autox. Hard on brakes and fast turns.

So far i have great impressions. Everything here is compared to stock dunlops SP5000 which i didn't really hate as they were fairly grippy and I loved the very responsive handling due to stiff sidewall.
First thing i noticed in Potenzas was the lack of rolling noise, and added comfort. This however came at a price of less sharp handling due to softer sidewall. The flex is not bad and there is only initial "lean" but then all you're left with is the endless grip of this Bridgestone tire. I am now able to take 60mph 270degree onramps without tire squeel and that's still not at the tire's limit. I love the dry gripp of this new Potenza. Wet gripp is good too and the understeering problems of Dunlop are completely gone.

I'm happy and would buy this tire again and again.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
hohod
2nd Gear
Thanks for the review rallymaniac! These are tempting cuz Tire Rack has them for $101 with a $100 Amex gift card.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hohod
Thanks for the review rallymaniac! These are tempting cuz Tire Rack has them for $101 with a $100 Amex gift card.
That's exacly why I got them. In my size it came up to about $85/tire shipped