Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Question about tires, and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about tires, and brakes

im getting ready to order a new set of rims (18" liquid metal static's) and im gonna get new tires with them as well, and just sell my 18" konigs/nitto NeoGen's as a package rather than using my current tires on the new rims.

im ordering from Discount Tire Direct..which tires would you suggest (i prefer if you suggest a tire, that you have ran that particular tire before lol)

tire size is going to be 215/35/18

im looking at getting the Nitto NT555 tires, they're 136 a piece shipped. i like my NeoGens, but i want more aggresive tread pattern, thats really the only thing i dont like about my current tires.

i also want something thatll last a long time as far as treadwear goes, and a tire that has a good load rating becuase all the weight i have in the back lol

also, on their site, for each tire it has a treadrating, for instance my neogens are "280" and the nt555 nittos are "300"...is the higher the number the longer life of the tire?

and the speed rating, for instance Z, i forgot what that means, i used to know. does it higher the letter mean a softer tire or something?

ok enough about tires, and now for the brakes. the rims i have now, as well as the rims im getting are 5 spoke wheels and you can see the brakes right through them. i wanna get some nice rotors, bigger ones, not only for looks, but for better braking with all the added weight.

whats a good kit to go with? i want new rotors and pads all around, pads that create the least dust since the rims will be gloss black and the dust stands out like a sore thumb. i want the biggest possible rotors i can get with the 18" rims, its an open rim so i think it would be able to clear probably any of the big brake kits out their for our cars.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The tread wear number is the percent increase in life a tire should have as compared to a test tire. So a rating of 300 means that the tire should last 300%,or 3 times, longer than the test tire under similar conditions. The test tire for each brand varies and I don't think it is an actual production tire. Therefore, comparing treadwear ratings between brands doesn't actually mean much.

The speed rating tells you how many deflection cycles the tire can take in terms of mph speed. A deflection would be the car's weight on the tire as it rotates. The faster the tire goes, the more deflections there are per spot on the tire per unit time, and more heat because of this. So a higher speed rating tire is built better to take more deflections & higher heat through stiffer sidewalls and different tread compounds/tread attachment procedures. Note: a high speed rating tire will net handling benefits at reasonable speeds as well as at high speed.

For brakes, I know it is possible to put on Porsche rotors and calipers somehow. MINI wheels won't work with them though. I think the Porsche set up needs 18's with 5 lugs. The calipers don't necessarily have to say "Porsche" on them.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm running Pilot Exalto PE2 20545ZR17. Unfortunately, they don't come in the size you want.

For brakes, check with Dustin at AutoXCooper.com. I got Cabotech 1521 Bobcat pads from him for my R56 MCS and love them. Better braking feel, no dust, no noise, and better than stock braking. Also supposed to last a longtime and be easier on the rotors than other brands.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 PM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the TSW Carbon Rotors. They'll look good on your MINI and with Carbotech pads you'll have less brake dust.

http://www.autoxcooper.com/tsw_suspension.html#tswcr