Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Sport Edition wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Edition wheels

I'm thinking of getting a set of aftermarket wheels and a new set of tires. Kinda like the looks of these. Anybody familiar with Sport Edition wheels (quality etc.)? TIA

Old 06-30-2009, 04:33 PM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've sold a few sets of the Sports Edition (a few years back) - quality was very respectable, maybe not the level of BBS, but very decent. Certainly would not consider them 'cheap' by any means.

Yes, I would have no problems owning a set.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:11 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kenatminimania
We've sold a few sets of the Sports Edition (a few years back) - quality was very respectable, maybe not the level of BBS, but very decent. Certainly would not consider them 'cheap' by any means.

Yes, I would have no problems owning a set.

Thanks Ken...I like looks on this wheel but not familiar with the brand. I appreciate your comments. Not ready to pull the trigger just yet...still looking.

Bob

Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
I looked at them at Tire Rack today. Price point is good, Made in China. Put them on my short list as I am looking in this area.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:07 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Milton Mini
I looked at them at Tire Rack today. Price point is good, Made in China. Put them on my short list as I am looking in this area.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the look of the wheel but I think it may be too much work for me to clean it.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slinger688
I like the look of the wheel but I think it may be too much work for me to clean it.
Yes, I too prefer wide open spokes for cleaning, but this one doesn't look too bad (for cleaning that is). Nice looking wheels.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
Yeah...cleaning any wheel on a Mini is recurring headache (or should I say backache?)...so much brake dust! I don't know why BMW sticks with these pads...every bimmer you see has dirty looking wheels. And the '09 MCS "loaner" that I drove for two weeks while mine was in the shop already had damage to the Crown Spokes due to brake dust.

I think I might go with these wheels and Michelin PE2's 205/45/17. About to pull the trigger. Maybe after the 4th.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
...so much brake dust! I don't know why BMW sticks with these pads...every bimmer you see has dirty looking wheels.
because brakes are for stopping, not looking!

seriously, if i have to pick between brake dust and stopping power, i'll take stopping power every time.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling

seriously, if i have to pick between brake dust and stopping power, i'll take stopping power every time.
I hear you. I guess I'm a little OCD with regard to clean wheels. It's kind of like wearing a nice suit of clothes and dirty shoes. I've read about aftermarket pads that stop well yet don't emit an unending spray of dust.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got a set of sport edition F7 wheels as my winter set. Quality seems to be quite good. My parents just got the ones you're looking at for their honda. It is a nice looking wheel. The got the gunmetal in a 15". Too bad they don't offer it in a 17" wheel but 16's will look good.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:26 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.
It's sort of like "good, fast, cheap, pick 2". Except for brakes it seems to be "good, clean, quiet, pick 2". I'll take good at any other cost. Clean? Whatever. I will always take performance over looks.

Hmm, that said, I should say I have more experience with motorcycle brakes than auto brakes. Pretty much the same substance though, just on different size & shape pads, as far as I know.

So that said, if you can recommend some pads that stop well but don't give off much dust, the other guys in the thread will probably be thankful!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:57 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniblucabrio
I've got a set of sport edition F7 wheels as my winter set. Quality seems to be quite good. My parents just got the ones you're looking at for their honda. It is a nice looking wheel. The got the gunmetal in a 15". Too bad they don't offer it in a 17" wheel but 16's will look good.
It is offered in a 17"
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...Silver+Painted

Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's sort of like "good, fast, cheap, pick 2". Except for brakes it seems to be "good, clean, quiet, pick 2". I'll take good at any other cost. Clean? Whatever. I will always take performance over looks.

Hmm, that said, I should say I have more experience with motorcycle brakes than auto brakes. Pretty much the same substance though, just on different size & shape pads, as far as I know.

So that said, if you can recommend some pads that stop well but don't give off much dust, the other guys in the thread will probably be thankful!
I got fed up with brake dust early on and switched to Carbotech 1521 Bobcat pads. They produce very little dust, are silent, stop better than the OEMs (IMO), are supposed to last longer, and be easier on the rotors. They do cost more than OEMs, but if (as claimed) they last twice as long, they end up being cheaper.

The biggest surprise to me was that the boot of the car doesn't get nearly as dirty as it used to. I hadn't realized that the rapid build-up on the boot was mostly brake dust.

They do change the feel considerably. The OEM brakes grabbed with little pressure. Compared to my Acura Integra, the MCS brakes reminded me of the over-assisted brakes on my Mom's Mid 20th century Buick. I much prefer the control the Bobcats give. Now, I don't have to make such a major adjustment between the Integra and MINI. I also don't have to wash the car and clean the wheels weekly.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:13 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
Yeah...cleaning any wheel on a Mini is recurring headache (or should I say backache?)...so much brake dust! I don't know why BMW sticks with these pads...every bimmer you see has dirty looking wheels. And the '09 MCS "loaner" that I drove for two weeks while mine was in the shop already had damage to the Crown Spokes due to brake dust.

I think I might go with these wheels and Michelin PE2's 205/45/17. About to pull the trigger. Maybe after the 4th.
FYI, you can go up to at 215/45/17 tire if you wish. A few more choices in that size.