Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

BEST Run-flat

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Cobra427
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEST Run-flat

OK, I have seen much bad-mouthing of run-flat tires on the forum, but not much helpful info. A search just brought a lot of advice about what NOT to use. I am staying with run-flats because I use my ’07 MCS Cabrio for commuting. So what is the BEST run-flat given these constraints:
  • Available in 205-45-R17
  • All season, rain and light snow
  • No separate winter tires/wheels
  • High tread wear rating
  • Goodyears now with over 50K on them
  • Not Goodyear next time-too expensive
Tire Rack shows Pirellis, Bridgestones, and Kumho. The Pirellis and the Bridgestones have a low tread wear rating of 180 and 140, awful. Kumho not even listed on NHTSA rating site. Continentals and Michelins are rated well, but seem to be not available in run-flat in my size.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question...why do want to put Run-Flats back on your MINI?? I'll have 22,000 or there abouts on my MINI in 3 Months and I can't wait to get rid of my Runsmacks!!

In regard to your "Best Run-Flat"...I don't think you'll find one. They just don't last as long as a regular tire.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Cobra427
1st Gear
Did you read my post? Lord, another runflat snob. OK, here goes -- I drive a 50 mile commute and runflats have already saved me one dark roadside tire change on an expressway. I just want better and cheaper ones than the Goodyears. You guys who just get their MINIs out on sunny weekends can run rubber bands for all I care, but I'm staying with the runflats.
Can I get some help here? Geez.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobra427
Did you read my post? Lord, another runflat snob. OK, here goes -- I drive a 50 mile commute and runflats have already saved me one dark roadside tire change on an expressway. I just want better and cheaper ones than the Goodyears. You guys who just get their MINIs out on sunny weekends can run rubber bands for all I care, but I'm staying with the runflats.
Can I get some help here? Geez.
Understood, but I also drive my MINI a large number of miles each day without runflats.
I would not recommend runflats over standard tires.

However, if you only want runflats, call Alex at Tirerack and he can help you over the phone. Why get frustrated by advice you don't want from us snobs.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
They just don't last as long as a regular tire.
The OP is over 50K on his. That's way more than what most people get from non-runflats.

The question was very specific. Is there no hope for this thread to stay on topic?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Mini Mee
3rd Gear
we have the Pirelli's now but only 4k on them.... looks like I might go with the Goodyears if your getting 50k from them

Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Just as alternative try looking at 215/45/17. That isnt that much bigger than stock and should give you some more options.

Goodyear Eagle RSA's? I got 15k out of them before they were toast.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 PM
ddawson
2nd Gear
How about the Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR Runflat.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=H

Here is the whole run flat line up.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...tOnly&x=95&y=8

Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 AM
DarrenO'sideCA
2nd Gear
I'm on my second set of Kumho runflats and love them. I track and autocross with them and they perform fairly well. I'm sure you can find much better performing non-runflats but these are great for my money and you have no need to conduct road-side chemistry experiments.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Dude simma down now.
Just get stock ones?
Dunlop dsst
Pirelli euphoria
GoodYear rsa
Nobody really does much research on which RFs are best, most just get rid of them.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:46 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
I have run flats on my new Mini. They are continentals. I had Goodyears on my BMW and had them removed and replaced with Continentals. The Continentals seem to give a smoother ride. BMW replaced them for free because of the compalints they had from customers about the hard ride. I like continentals.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 AM
ramjet77
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Check out the Continental ContiProContact SSR tires and read consumers' reviews at TireRack. They are all season, not like the Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR's which are only summer tires. Although I have never used them, they will be my next buy. I have been running the OEM Duinlops and have selected the Continentals because they are supposed to wear better (I average 33k moles on the Dunlops) and be quieter. I have been in situations where the run flats have saved me because of hitting road hazards that no amount of spray goop could fix.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, I have excelent luck with Continental Pro Contact SSR.

Great price, allseason capabilty, faily quiet & decent wear for a runflat!

Alex

Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Agreed, I have excelent luck with Continental Pro Contact SSR.
Will TireRack be testing them anytime soon? I'd like to see how they compare to non-runflats in the various tests.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Nobody really does much research on which RFs are best, most just get rid of them.
You might get that impression from reading NAM, but I think the opposite is true -- that the vast majority of MINI owners stay with run-flats. That is my personal observation in San Francisco, where it swarms with MINI's. I may be mistaken but it is very rare that I see a MINI with a tire tread pattern different from one of the OEM runflats. The fact is that the vast majority of consumers are afraid to venture outside of the stock configuration.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will TireRack be testing them anytime soon? I'd like to see how they compare to non-runflats in the various tests.
There are no current plans to, but the seed has been planted.

Alex

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 07-03-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
You might get that impression from reading NAM, but I think the opposite is true -- that the vast majority of MINI owners stay with run-flats. That is my personal observation in San Francisco, where it swarms with MINI's. I may be mistaken but it is very rare that I see a MINI with a tire tread pattern different from one of the OEM runflats. The fact is that the vast majority of consumers are afraid to venture outside of the stock configuration.
Well, some tire shops don't install regular tires on a car that is supposed to have runflats. This could be the main cause.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
That's what I kind of figured too but having to replace Pirelli runflats back when they were $160 each was bad enough. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find any runflat for under $200. I'll take my $100 a pop tires and a mobility kit thank you .

Old 07-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Cobra427
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ramjet77
Check out the Continental ContiProContact SSR tires and read consumers' reviews at TireRack. They are all season, not like the Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR's which are only summer tires. Although I have never used them, they will be my next buy. I have been running the OEM Duinlops and have selected the Continentals because they are supposed to wear better (I average 33k moles on the Dunlops) and be quieter. I have been in situations where the run flats have saved me because of hitting road hazards that no amount of spray goop could fix.
Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks so much. And Alex at Tire Rack agrees. Happy Fourth of July.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
+100 for ContiProContact SSR. You will barely realize they are runflats.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Oh I forgot the Contis, those are actually the best for your needs as far as driving year round rain and light snow.

Yeah, I was at a Good Year shop trying to locate one 225/35-18 GSD3 for my MINIs spare wheel and a fella in a MINI Cooper dropped by and they told him that they would only sell him RFs poor chap dropped $1200 on inferior tires. But they sold and mounted mine on my right front side. I guess it not really a policy, but shop figure they can make more money? Don't know?

Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
yoko's s drive

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
never knew run flats is not like by so many ppl...i have a conv and prefer a run flat since my tires need 2 be replaced soon.. thxs for the info..

Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 AM
CrashFu
Neutral
What did you buy?

So, Cobra427... what runflat did you go with?

I spend most of my time commuting too, and I need better treadlife.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:49 PM
kalililly
3rd Gear
Looking at the prices of tires, the Goodyears, if you do get approximately 50k out of them, seem to be the best buy compared to what I am hearing at 15k to even 30k out of the other tires. Using Discount Tire prices, the Continentals go for about $219 and the Goodyears go for $324. If you get 30k out of the Contis you are paying approximately $7.30 per thousand miles. With the Goodyears at 50k you are only paying $6.48 per thousand miles. Just a thought....

Quick Reply: BEST Run-flat