Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

removing "Pound On" Wheel Weights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:22 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing "Pound On" Wheel Weights

Hello! I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for using the search engine. I should also warn you that I know very little about wheels and wheel weights.

I recently acquired a 2009 Mini Cooper S with 16" white powder coated wheels. I noticed that there are "pound on" wheel weights on the outside of the wheels instead of "sticky" wheel weights on the inside of each wheel. If I wanted to remove the pound on weights and replace them with sticky ones, how could I do this without damaging the powder coating on my wheels?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you remove those weights are you planning on putting the same weight in sticky weights on the inside? If you are that isn't going to work. You will need to have your wheels rebalanced & any shop that knows how to balance tires also knows how to remove those weights.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 AM
goin440
6th Gear
Your powder coat was damaged when they were put on. Just leave on, when new tire time request no weight on the outside lip.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Thanks for the replies!

I wasn't planning on doing anything myself, since I'm not a professional, by any means. I was just wondering if I could take the car anywhere to have the "pound on" weights removed and then replaced with "sticky weights." It sounds like the powder coating on the wheels has already been damaged, so I guess I won't worry about it, now.

*sigh* Oh well, they don't look too bad. I'm sure I'll survive! Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
kazlot
4th Gear
Removing "Pound On" Wheel Weights

I bought a set of used Bridgespoke wheels and tires and had the tire shop, that the Tire Rack recommended,
take off the factory 'pound on' weights and re-balance them with 'sticky' weights.

No paint damage, no problem, do it ......

Hope this helps...

Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM
goin440
6th Gear

All the unmounted in this photo had damage from the factory installed weights. Four of the unmounted I had replaced tires and the weight damage from the new was worse than factory ones. I'm sure when I replace tires on the mounted, they too will have damage.

Obviously, MINI came with many different wheels so I can only speak to the ones I have here. But there is likely damage under the weights.

Don't get me wrong, if they bother you get them replaced with stickies. I'm just saying you might be disappointed when they leave marks behind.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
One little detail about 'pound-on' wheel weights (from experience) - and seeing as you're in PA - by nature of the mnfr'g of wheel weights, sharp edges exist on the clips of the weight - when installed, they cut into the coating on the inside of the rims - take a little salt, add some moisture, on aluminum rims, with the steel clip, and voila! you've got a middle school science project: corrosion - it will build between the rim and the coating (paint/powdercoat/chrome - doesn't matter), loosening the coating and creating a bead leak, that requires grinding to remove so the tire can seal properly - anytime now that I get a car w/ pound-ons, I have the bead broken and bead sealer installed, along w/ the stick-ons...