Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ran into a issues installing stainless steel brakelines (Goodridges on R56)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
M3This
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ran into a issues installing stainless steel brakelines (Goodridges on R56)

Ok guys need some input on this. I ordered up some Goodridge SS lines for my R56 Factory JCW car. After looking on REALOEM.com the part numbers for R56S and R56 JCW are the same for the brake lines, as Goodridge only shows 1 part listing for 2003+ Mini Coopers

Here is the box I got as you can see the part # on it:

I started with the front driver side, I took off the factory line mounted the SS one to the caliper (no problems here) then roughted the line to the hard line side and tightened everything down. This is where I ran into issues.

The Hardline side doesnt tighten all the way down

Here are some photos for reference:

As you can see a lot of threads are still exposed and there is enought slack to allow the shim to spin

I didnt feel this was safe so I took the line off and put my OEM line back on. When comparing the lines both are the same depth, but the hole in the OEM line where the hard line sits flush with is bigger on the OEM line compared to the Goodridge unit. Im guess this allows the hardline to sit more inside it and allows it to be tightened flush.

Anyone have any ideas? did I get the wrong brake line kit?

Last edited by M3This; 08-09-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
rdngim
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your picture shows to different measuring spots, one include the spring metal the other did not...The question is...is SS line allowing the tubbing flare to seat full in the fitting, is so then is just means the SS lines have less depth. What we can't see is the same angle photo on the stock line as the photo of the SS line. Measure the depth of the SS fitting and see how far the flare tubbing needs to go in to fully seat in the fitting. If it is seatting fully I would not worry about it, unless it leaks under preasure which would mean it is not fully seating or the flare of the tub and the fitting do not match. I know on BMW's they use an invered double flare. Gonna do my MINI but haven't gotten to it yet or bought the SS lines. Maybe some one else may chime in w/ experience w/ mini's Good luck, I will be keeping an eye your thread to find out info, before I go to do mine.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The MINI uses a bubble flare. The fit of the clip as shown is poor at best if the hose end has a proper seat in it. If you hose end shows one tapered seat in it then it's bubble, if looking in it you see two flares then it's an inverted flare end and not correct for the hardline. Which of course may be the reason it does not want to seat deeper. Do NOT attempt to 'make it work' as a double flare will damage the end of the hardline rendering it useless- except perhaps here if you tight it down enough to force it to work!

Those hoses also do not have the proper support for the MINI strut brace and don't appear to be jacketed hoses to prevent braid from being contaminated with dust or rubbing on things. Both of which are not what I'd call ideal for such a build. Kinda surprised really...and yes I have the proper parts if you wish to consider alternatives. (seeing no vendor is mentioned directly here)

Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM
RedDog888
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks toddtce good to know, here is a web page w/ some images of the diff between bubble and double flares for M2This.
http://www.relitech.com/brakeln.htm

Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just a guess, but maybe Goodridge doesn't make lines for the 2nd gen MINIs yet. I think that 2003+ refers to the rest of the 1st gen cars after the first year redesign of the brake lines.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Hope you don't have to go through that mess. I have a bubble flare tool from my VW resto days. PITA to do them.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:32 AM
M3This
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys. Found out they are the wrong lines. These are for 1st gen cars :(

Ordering up a new set for Gen 2, hopefully that will solve the issue