Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

There's A Screw In My Tire!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's A Screw In My Tire!

So I noticed the other day while checking tire pressure that there's a screw in my passenger side rear tire. Looks like this:

The air pressure is fine and the way the head of the screw is worn and the rubber directly around it isn't makes me think (hope?) that perhaps it's a small screw and it hasn't punched all the way through...

What do you think I should do next? Should I bring it to a tire shop to get it repaired, take it out and do a plug kit fix myself, or just leave it? We never drive far from home so I'm not concerned about getting stranded.

The tires only have 4,000 km on them, so I was thinking it might be worth it to have them fixed properly instead of DIY-plugged. How well do the DIY plug kits hold up?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd recommend taking it to a tire shop & have them pull the screw. You might be lucky, but if not get it fixed with a patch on the inside.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never run nice or expensive tires, so I usually just make it work, one way or the other.

I have been using Slime lately. About 8-12oz of Slime, pull the screw/nail and roll the tire. Stuff seals up pretty well, and no effort of driving a plug.

I still have my standard tire repair kit in the breakdown box the trunk just in case. I have run those plugs for thousands of miles on other cars with no problems.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:28 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
If I were you I would circle the area in chalk, then pull the screw. Cover the circled area with soapy water and look for bubbles. If none, no need to worry; if bubbles, take it to competent tire shop for repair, or plug it yourself if you're comfortable doing that.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:07 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by carsncars
So I noticed the other day while checking tire pressure that there's a screw in my passenger side rear tire. Looks like this:

The air pressure is fine and the way the head of the screw is worn and the rubber directly around it isn't makes me think (hope?) that perhaps it's a small screw and it hasn't punched all the way through...

What do you think I should do next? Should I bring it to a tire shop to get it repaired, take it out and do a plug kit fix myself, or just leave it? We never drive far from home so I'm not concerned about getting stranded.

The tires only have 4,000 km on them, so I was thinking it might be worth it to have them fixed properly instead of DIY-plugged. How well do the DIY plug kits hold up?

FWIW....I had almost the exact thing happen (Phillips head screw)to my left rear rft. Drove it to a local tire dealer, they plugged it and no problems since.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
go to Harbor Freight, or Northern Tools and get a DYNAPLUG. Then pull the scew and do a bubble test. If there's a leak use this and quickly, easily plug the hole with no mess. I carry one in each car now and have run tires so plugged for many many safe miles. Much easier than a traditional plug kit.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

Old 08-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
I've repaired those kind of punctures with DIY plug kit before. But if you don't feel comfortable doing that take it to the tire shop. I wouldn't leave it in there.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:54 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
Thanks for the advice. Probably will bring it to the tire shop since my friend works at Kal Tire and said he can patch it from the inside free if it's under $50. Or maybe they'll take it out and find it's not punctured at all...

I'm probably going to get non-RF tires so putting together a plug, sealant, and compressor kit sounds like a good idea, though.

...sigh. All I ask for are smooth, debris-free roads...