Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Non-car Guy Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-car Guy Tire Question

The wife's 2008 Cooper S convertible has the 205/45/17 Pirelli Euforia runflats and we hate them. One tire has a bubble in the side wall. Replacement tire is $250. We asked tire place why we couldn't just buy 4 hundred dollar tires and replace all the damn runflats. The tech said the MINI suspension is specifically setup for that particular Pirelli runflat.

Is that BS? On Tirerack.com when we enter our car model and year there are pages and pages of optional tires. Can we actually put a cheaper Bridgestone or Continental on and get rid of the stupid Euforias?

And can one add the tire and wheel insurance months after buying the MINI? Wish we had now.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
The wife's 2008 Cooper S convertible has the 205/45/17 Pirelli Euforia runflats and we hate them. One tire has a bubble in the side wall. Replacement tire is $250. We asked tire place why we couldn't just buy 4 hundred dollar tires and replace all the damn runflats. The tech said the MINI suspension is specifically setup for that particular Pirelli runflat.

Is that BS? On Tirerack.com when we enter our car model and year there are pages and pages of optional tires. Can we actually put a cheaper Bridgestone or Continental on and get rid of the stupid Euforias?

And can one add the tire and wheel insurance months after buying the MINI? Wish we had now.
Unfortunately, many Mini dealers will only recommend selling run flats because that is original equipment (and insurance from law suits). You can use any other brand of tire that you are comfortable with, including non run flats. Please be aware that you will need to keep a kit (and AAA etc) with you to take care of the non run flats in case of emergency.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the tech is correct the car was set-up for run flats.
However, so was my car and I love not having run flats. No need to stay with what the car came with unless that is just what you want. There will be no harm to the car or non run flat tires if you switch.

Contact TireRack (Alex is a rep on here) and let them know what you want. It will not be a problem going to regular tires.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You can buy any tire you want, it's your car. However, some places won't install anything but OEM type and size tires, probably for liability reasons.

I bought Kumho UHP All seasons in a 215/45-17 installed for about $110. ea from Tire Rack and they've been terrific, the local NTB quoted a similar price for Nitto Neo Gens as well.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Can I use runflats in back and regular up front? As Minidave was saying, these tire places never seem to be willing to just sell you one or two tires. They always give us a song and dance about having all 4 tires being the same.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Can I use runflats in back and regular up front? As Minidave was saying, these tire places never seem to be willing to just sell you one or two tires. They always give us a song and dance about having all 4 tires being the same.
No, I would not mix run flats with non run flats. It will change the handling characteristics of the car.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had dealer remove my Dunlop run flats before I took delivery of the car and I supplied Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus non runflats. I bought these from Tirerack. The ride and handling is great, 45k mile tread life warranty, good wet and dry grip, crisp turn in. Check out the survey results for this tire on Tirerack.com (be sure you look at the PLUS).

If the suspension is truly "setup" for runflats it sure does like my non runflats.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
The saga continues - this is almost becoming amusing just because it's so darn frustrating. I went on Tirerack.com and found the Bridgestone Potenza Grids that so many on this forum seem to like. Buying 4 tires and having them shipped would run me approx $450 - not a whole lot more than replacing just the one bad runflat. However, getting the tires installed looks to add another $100 when you figure in the overpriced reccomended installers, disposal fees and special runflat removal price.

Then I decided to check-out Sam's Club. Their price was $15 cheaper per tire and no delivery cost since it would go right to the store. Remembering some of the previous posts I then called two different Sam's Clubs to ask about installation. Both told me a big long story about why BMW/MINI uses runflats on their lowslung cars and that not using them is highly frowned upon. One told me that they'd do it if I got a written waiver from my dealership. I assume that even if I could get one it would probably end-up scewing up my warranty or maintenance package.

I've been very very vocal on NAM about how perfect my MINIs have been, often debating the nay sayers how have been frustrated by numerous mechanical woes. I still believe these are near perfect cars, but this issue is really frustrating me. Why are the stupid tires so freakin' expensive and crappy? I used to get 30,000-40,000 miles on a set of tires back in the good old days. I'm lucky to get half that now.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Sorry you are having such an ordeal with switching tires. I would get in the yellow pages and call independent tires stores, I am sure one on them would love to have your business. I used Discount Tires and had no problems.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've also used Discount Tires. They did a good job for me.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:18 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
agree.

i've run Hancook, Dunlop, Toyo, and Pirelli P-Zero since dumping the original runflats

for the last two years I've been with Discount Tire, who have done the installation on both stock and competition wheels without issue

do not fear to dump the runflats, they are heavy, offer modest performance, and the car will feel much better without them

do NOT mix brands/sizes however - that would be a bad idea under almost all circumstances -- potentially a serious safety issue

I am a AAA member, but haven't called them in the last 123,000 miles.

cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
darmog
4th Gear
I've also used Discount Tires solely on my last two cars when it came to new tires. They didn't have any problem or asked any questions when I switched from the oem Dunlop runflats to the non-runflats Dunlop Star Specs.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement. I checked with Tirerack and like their prices. I called a couple of installers and found one that said they would do the installation. Unfortunately Discount Tire is nowhere in Northeast USA. This will really suck if I order these puppies and I then get a different story. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I don't think $125/tire installed is all that expensive anymore, especially since you're taking about high performance Z rated tires.

I think you'll like the ride and handling of your car better with regular tires compared to runflats, but if you do this remember you have no spare tire, so don't come crying here about having a flat and having to have your car towed and how expensive it is. That or buy a mini spare and carry it with you............

That said, *touch wood* I've done about 30K in my two MINIs on non-runflats, including several long trips , all without a spare and with no problems.

If you have a National Tire and Battery in your area, they have no problems installing whatever tires you choose, and for reasonable cost and Tire Rack will ship them directly to them and send you an email when they're delivered so you can call and get them installed.

Don't be put off by the fact that they charge more for 40/45 series tires, those things can be tough to get on, I think they earn the extra $$$

Old 09-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Great advice MiniDave - I will definitely do that NTB/TireRack option.

I think I remember a thread mentioning an option to Fix-a-Flat. Isn't there another type of repair in a can that will not wreck your wheels if you use it?

Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 PM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Great advice MiniDave - I will definitely do that NTB/TireRack option.

I think I remember a thread mentioning an option to Fix-a-Flat. Isn't there another type of repair in a can that will not wreck your wheels if you use it?
Slime claims to be safe for TPMS. Neither should wreck wheels, but Fix-a-Flat sure will make a mess.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 PM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
I have Dunlap SP Sport 3000 DSSTs on my MINI. They are OE but it doesn't say they are runflats...are they?
How can I find out much PSI they should be? On the tire it says Max PSI 51.
right now they are gauged at about 20 PSI. They don't look flat and they drive fine but it just seems like a low pressure.

Also, the manufacturer says "not intended for snow" and the weather can get a bit extreme here in KY. So, I'm thinking maybe I should put 4 snow tires on my car for the winter and put these back on in the spring?

Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 AM
darmog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMe02
I have Dunlap SP Sport 3000 DSSTs on my MINI. They are OE but it doesn't say they are runflats...are they?
How can I find out much PSI they should be? On the tire it says Max PSI 51.
right now they are gauged at about 20 PSI. They don't look flat and they drive fine but it just seems like a low pressure.

Yeah, they are RFs. As for tire pressure, the correct setting for your car with oem tires would be posted on the driver's side of the inside door jamb. 20 psi is way too low. It should be more at 33 psi.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
A lot of people have a set of tires for summer use and a different set for winter, I bought Ultra High Performance all season tires (non-runflats) and I've been very happy with them, year round. Here in Kansas, we can get terrible ice storms and the occasional deep snow. At those times I either stay home or if I really need to be somewhere I drive our Audi quattro. However, I've never had any trouble getting around in the MINI and plan on driving my Clubby this winter no matter what weather comes...........

Old 09-20-2009, 01:42 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 150 Posts
Replacement tire is $250. We asked tire place why we couldn't just buy 4 hundred dollar tires and replace all the damn runflats. The tech said the MINI suspension is specifically setup for that particular Pirelli runflat.

Is that BS?
Pure bullsh!t, they just want to sell you expensive, high-profit margin tires. Always remember that a Service Advisor's #1 job is to sell repair services and products.

Run whatever tires you want. Tires do affect handling, but not enough to ever be an issue in street driving. (Racing, sure.) And go someplace other than your dealer to do it.

If you switch to conventional non-runflats and don't have a spare tire, be sure to carry something like a patch kit and tire inflator, or one of those slime-***-compressed-air cans, so if you do get a flat you aren't stranded.

I have run both runflats and non-runflats on my Mini Cooper S. The difference? The non-runflats are quieter, better handling and much more comfortable to drive on.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Just ordered the Bridgestone Potenza 019 Grids directly from NTB who said they'd match Tire Rack's price. It'll take a day or two for them to come in since it's a special order. I'm hoping we don't have to whine and cry to get these put on at NTB.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ordered the Bridgestone Potenza 019 Grids directly from NTB who said they'd match Tire Rack's price. It'll take a day or two for them to come in since it's a special order. I'm hoping we don't have to whine and cry to get these put on at NTB.
I'd be very interested in knowing how you like these once you've gotten them installed. Those are the tires I'm wanting to put on Molly next month.

Thanks!!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I just returned from my 60 mile trip down to NTB. I had my Bridgestone Potenza Grids from TireRack shipped directly there. I was in and out of NTB in less than an hour. Excellent service - they even packed-up my old Pirelli Euforia runflats for me and put them in the backseat.

The ride home was incredible. What a huge difference! It felt like going from steel wheels on a kid's wagon to sitting on one of those giant exercise *****. So much smoother ride. I didn't need to cringe every time I hit a pothole. My change didn't go flying out of the cupholder everytime I hit a rough spot. I don't know how these will hold up in the long run, but the first hour of driving his been sheer bliss.