Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

All season tires.... can they be any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All season tires.... can they be any good?

So after 27k miles my mini's factory tires are getting pretty finished. Right now i'm running on the Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST, and i must say that as much grip as they have, the ride is horrible on them. I haven't yet gotten to drive them in the snow yet as i just recently picked up the car, but i can't imagine they're going to be any good as they're summer tires.

Basically i'm looking for an all season that can give me similar performance to the dunlop's (i'm thinking might be impossible, but who knows), since i can't really afford to throw down another $800 for a set of snow tires and wheels. I know you're all going to tell me to do this, but i'm looking for a way to avoid it.

I've been looking into the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S PLUS, and they have been getting really good reviews. They're a lot cheaper than the dunlops and seem that they will fair a bit better in the rain and snow. Not to mention the ride quality should be significantly better.

I know this is especially going to be interesting, but i also want to try out some AutoX.... Would something like the michelin's be suitable?

Sorry in advance if this is all silly to ask.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
All seaon tires are compromise at best, but it also depends on how and were you drive, if you really only get a little bit of snow only a few times a year then you can maybe get by with an all season. The Michelin's are very good and might suit your needs. I would read all the reviews on Tirerack website and then speak with Alex@ Tirerack.
Personally I am not a fan of all season tires, and I keep 3 sets for all of my cars all mounted on different wheels. Its a pain to switch over in the Winter but its peace of mind when the cold and snow do hit.
Good luck

Old 10-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of it depends on local climate...

so that can guide you. For checking out AutoX, you won't be competitive anyway (no knock to you, but a stock car and little experience leads to quite a lot of learning to do). What you will find is that the grip will be OK for learning, but the front camber being near zero will really chew up the outside edge of your front tires. Get some inexpensive fixed camber plates if your serious about hitting any type of track.

For just getting a toe wet to see if it's really for your, pretty much any tire will be OK. If you get into it, improving tires is quite an easy way to really improve grip, but why spend the money till you're sure?

Matt

Old 10-24-2009, 06:23 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pilot Sport AS+ is the best handling AS tire I offer. It IS a compromise, and won't be as compeditive time wise on an Auto X, but its the best suited all season to try. Not my pick for tracking, I think you'd blister them.

Alex

Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
So how do you think they will compare for dry grip compared to the Dunlop sp sport 01 on dry pavement?

Also, you guys think I'll ruin my tires trying to autox with all seasons?

Thank you for your responses! It makes me really want to get a set of winter wheels. They're just really expensive and not nessesary if I can find good tires to keep year round

Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Autocrossing is going to ruin anytire over time, its just a matter of how long it takes. Running with a deep Thread design with a lot of flex in the sidewall will cause them to chunk quicker.
Maybe do an event or 2 on the all seasons to see if you like it, a few runs wont kill the tire and you will get to see the wear on the tread.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Martin Brenneke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at Kumho Ast tires. I live in MT.and the work great in summer and give you good grip in snow.