Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:55 AM
marcdmbfan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice

I have a problem. Yesterday I took my MINI in to the local tire shop since the right front tire has been having trouble keeping air in it. Long story short it turns out that the wheel has a small half inch hairline crack on the inside. The problem is my wheels are 18" O.Z. Ultraleggeras which have since been discontinued. What are my options? Is it safe to have the wheel repaired? I've called several places and the only place that repairs wheels only fixes things like curb rash and nothing that involves welding. I checked eBay to see if I could find a single 18" Ultraleggera for sale but didn't find anything. I know it's not safe to keep driving my '05 MCS in it's current condition. The tire pressure monitor light is constantly on now. Help! If I need to purchase a new set of wheels/tires I would appreciate some suggestions. My MCS is in my signature. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:03 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't. The repair is likely to throw it way out of balance. Looks like you will need to get some new wheels or see if you can locate a used one.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:18 AM
marcdmbfan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
I wouldn't. The repair is likely to throw it way out of balance. Looks like you will need to get some new wheels or see if you can locate a used one.
Thanks! That's what I figured. These were good wheels. Lasted 3 years. I guess I can try and sell the other 3 separately on eBay or here on the marketplace. Still need suggestions for my Dark Silver / Black MCS. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:29 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by marcdmbfan
Thanks! That's what I figured. These were good wheels. Lasted 3 years. I guess I can try and sell the other 3 separately on eBay or here on the marketplace. Still need suggestions for my Dark Silver / Black MCS. Thanks!
I think the information you are reacting to may be incorrect. You can repair wheels. It is done all the time. Then you can rebalance the wheels and tires so that they run without vibration. I, myself, have done it many times without any problems.

The only thing I would not do is to run track with repaired wheels. But you would likely not do that with an 18" wheel anyway.

Look up www.tirerack.com under installations and see if there are a few tires places listed there that might help. Alex@tirerack.com also sent me a name of a place in PA that does great work on wheel repairs including welding. Perhaps he may have a place closer to you.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:45 AM
marcdmbfan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
I think the information you are reacting to may be incorrect. You can repair wheels. It is done all the time. Then you can rebalance the wheels and tires so that they run without vibration. I, myself, have done it many times without any problems.

The only thing I would not do is to run track with repaired wheels. But you would likely not do that with an 18" wheel anyway.

Look up www.tirerack.com under installations and see if there are a few tires places listed there that might help. Alex@tirerack.com also sent me a name of a place in PA that does great work on wheel repairs including welding. Perhaps he may have a place closer to you.
Thanks. I will try and find some place locally before I call TireRack. None of the installers listed on tirerack's page does this sort of thing.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM
marcdmbfan
2nd Gear
Called TireRack. They suggested this place. http://www.wheelsamerica.com/index.php
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'd have suggested epoxy and duct tape, but a proper repair sounds better.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:00 PM
marcdmbfan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
I'd have suggested epoxy and duct tape, but a proper repair sounds better.
Yeah. I thought about something like that but this place charges a flat rate and since the wheel has some curb rash I thought why not.