Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Remounting tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remounting tires

I live in the snowy Northeast and want to put on 4 snow tires (Blizzaks probably) for the winter. My MINI service advisor told me that I should not plan to put on the snows then remount my original tires in the Spring. He contended that after they come off they would get stretched and not fit properly again. He claimed this damages the tires. Also something about the tire sensors possibly not working right (which I could care less about anyway). Is this a case of MINI trying to soak me for 4 new wheels or can I swap them back and forth over the course of the year? I used to be able to do that all the time back in the day.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:17 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I have never heard of such BS in all my years about tire stretching. I am not sure about the sensors but i doubt they will go bad.
Not sure how long you plan on keeping the car, but in the long run it does pay to have a second set of rims so you are not laying out a 100 bucks to swap summer and winter tires

Last edited by NightFlyR; 10-31-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
If in order to install the snows you are removing run-flats, then there is much truth to what he says. Get yourself a second set of wheels and dedicate them to the snows.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
No, they're not runflats. I see the wisdom in having another set of wheels, but I doubt I'll keep this particular MINI more than one more Winter after this. I'm not sure I want to put out close to a thousand bucks for snow tires and new wheels. Especially since my next car might well have a different size wheel setup. But you answered my question: I can switch tires back and forth. I just won't be going to MINI to do it. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Several tire people told me that seating bead if the tire had been mounted more than two or three times could usually be done, but they would come back with slow leaks sometimes, and need to be redone.
I erred on the conserve side and got a second set of rims...got 15's for winter...it helped save some money and helps save the strut towers and me from the winter potholes. My summer rims are also staying much nicer looking too!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Also gen1 cars do not have sensors...gen 2 does, and they are $$$, many people seem to go sensorless for the winter and just ignore the light/cover them up. Brakes are bigger on gen 2 also, so it harder to find smaller rims...17 seems to be the smallest I have head of on a gen2 without spacers.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Thanks Zip, what you said makes sense regarding the seal, but in my case I figure that after I put on the winter tires, then I'll go back to the original equipment tires and run them up until the following winter. By then the originals will most likely have around 30,000 miles on them anyway. I'm not a high performance guy anyway. If I had a spare $600 laying around I'd consider 4 new wheels but if I have to chose between that or vacation in Europe...easy choice.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
If I had a spare $600 laying around I'd consider 4 new wheels but if I have to chose between that or vacation in Europe...easy choice.
Wow, a vaction in Europe for $600? Sign me up.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
Thanks Zip, what you said makes sense regarding the seal, but in my case I figure that after I put on the winter tires, then I'll go back to the original equipment tires and run them up until the following winter. By then the originals will most likely have around 30,000 miles on them anyway. I'm not a high performance guy anyway. If I had a spare $600 laying around I'd consider 4 new wheels but if I have to chose between that or vacation in Europe...easy choice.
Sounds like good logic....my oem solid rubber, pain inducing, loud, screaming run flats were about done at 30,000 miles. I think you will love you MINI on snow tires....in the snow....on a dry, warmer day, it can be an interesting ride on snow tires...not too bad....but the handling is very different!!

Old 10-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Wow, a vaction in Europe for $600? Sign me up.
Believe me it can be done. I've been doing it probably longer than you've been alive. Frequent Flyer free air tickets, employee discounts on hotels and rentals, friends' homes and bar food whenever possible. I spend far more time researching my trips than I spend on the trip itself. Thank God for the internet.