Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Bridgestone Potenza vs. Goodyear Eagle GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
The QZ
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza vs. Goodyear Eagle GT

It's time for me to ditch the RF's and get some new tires. I've narrowed it down to two choices. I'm deciding between the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid and the Goodyear Eagle GT's. The size would be the oem 205/45r17. I currently have 17" Crown Spokes and plan on getting the JCW suspension installed if that helps the decision process.

The Eagles are rated slightly better, but I had a question about the load rating. The oem wheels and Bridgestones are rated at 84V, but the Gt's are rated at 88V. When I went to put the GT's in my shopping cart I got a warning saying the load rating was higher and this might cause a rough ride. Will the 88V load rating cause a problem? Should I just go with the Bridgestones?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
You won't notice a difference. Your stock runflats are already stiffer and give you a rougher ride. The eagle gt's will be a better ride.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM
The QZ
4th Gear
I'm so torn on which to get. Thanks for the response. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
I just got 4 205/55/16 Eagle GTs on some Bridgespokes (put my 17" runflats (on summer rims away)) and they are pretty nice. loads of grip and so far theyve handled the rain very well. Little squirelly at first (thought it was because of the huge sidewall) but i think they were just greasy lik enew tires are.

Also the rim protector is rediculously big on mine (probably +1/2" from rim)... kind of nice, but MINI rims seem to have thin metal there so they look 'plush'

I had Crowns when i got the car and i think these would look awesome on it

heres a pic of mine though the wrong size for you

on another note...arent the Bridgestones High performance summer?? These are all season (with good snow traction i might add) which means they are pretty much 2 completely different tires

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM
The QZ
4th Gear
The Bridgestone Potenza's are all season. I'm getting a lot of conflicting reports. You said you like the Gt's but a gearhead at work hated them.
I guess either way it will be good. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
yea i guess it just depends. I took the word of a guy who is the manager at my local NTB... he had just bought a set for his new Mazdaspeed 6. Plus he hooked me up w a pretty good deal lol

Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by The QZ
It's time for me to ditch the RF's and get some new tires. I've narrowed it down to two choices. I'm deciding between the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid and the Goodyear Eagle GT's. The size would be the oem 205/45r17. I currently have 17" Crown Spokes and plan on getting the JCW suspension installed if that helps the decision process.

The Eagles are rated slightly better, but I had a question about the load rating. The oem wheels and Bridgestones are rated at 84V, but the Gt's are rated at 88V. When I went to put the GT's in my shopping cart I got a warning saying the load rating was higher and this might cause a rough ride. Will the 88V load rating cause a problem? Should I just go with the Bridgestones?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
The 88 is the load rating and it is fine for the MINI. 84 is also fine. It has to do with the max load the car can handle and has little to do with rougher ride which is determined by many other factors. V is the speed rating which is fine for the MINI base or Cooper S.

In 205/45-17 for all season tires-
(Ultra HP All Season tires)
Goodyear Eagle GT
440 treadwear XL sidewall, $115 each
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
500 treadwear 88Y, XL Sidewall, $175 with $70 mail in rebate
Goodyear Eagle F1 All season
420 treadwear 88Y, XL Sidewall, $126 each

Bridgestone Potenza G-019 (high Perf All Season tire)
400 treadwear, $98 each

Note any tire with XL sidewall is a little stiffer and can tolerate a little more weight hence the higher load rating in the same size tire- I think that is why it was mentioned that the Eagle GT might ride a little rougher.

Anytime you are comparing High Performance vs Ultra High Performance tires vs each other the MINI benefits from the UHP tire class which usually offers better handling but may cost more than a similar HP All season tire.

In this case the Bridgestone G019 is OK but not as good as the other tires mentioned. The better Bridgestone tire is Potenza RE960AS which comes in 215/45-17 as the closest size that will fit for you. A very good tire but costs more.

Of the UHP AS tires listed the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS probably has the stiffest sidewall (kevlar reinforced) and firmest ride but good handling.

Usually you are trading off some comfort or noise for better handling especially in cornering. If you do commuting or high mileage each year then more comfort and less noise is a good strategy.

Don't skimp on tires for the MINI. It is a car that is fully capable of making good use of the best tires you can afford.

I'd suggest a look at Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=115

It does cost more but offers more as well.