Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Swapping out run-flat summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Themajickman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping out run-flat summer tires

I have a set of OEM Pirelli eufori@ tires. My concern is that they are high-performance summer tires and even though I live in Atlanta, we do get freezing temperatures and the occasional light dusting of snow. It's an unacceptable risk to have my wife running around on hockey pucks when the temperature drops below 50°. So, I figured that a set of all season tires was the way to go. Not only that but, I’ll take the opportunity to switch to non-runflat’s while I'm at it. I went ahead and purchased a set of used R98 wheels off of craigslist for $375 ($500 after shipping from California to Atlanta) which was a pretty decent deal. Now, according to Consumer Reports, the best UHP All Season tire is the Falken Ziex ZE-912. I'm sure there are lots of different opinions on which tire is the best, but I decided to go with the old reliable consumer report findings. So I called my local tire store and they wanted $600 for the Falkens mounted and balanced! I found out that Tire Rack doesn't carry them So I decided to look for alternative sources. I ended up finding four new ones on eBay for $280 including shipping. I figure it will cost me another $100 to have them mounted and balanced. And since I changed away from the runflat's, I went ahead and purchased a Slime flat tire repair system and the old standby AAA membership. I figure I'll end up spending a little over $900 for the whole change out. I know I didn't need to purchase new wheels but I figure that I can always change back when the temperatures warms up and get better handling out of the summer tires. I hope I haven't bored everybody with my long post but I felt like sharing my experience and maybe it will help somebody if they decide to go the same route. The whole thing was about safety and economy.

Last edited by Themajickman; 11-10-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
The Falken Ziex ZE-912 were also named Grassroots Motorsports Magazine "Low Budget Tire of the Year" so they are good wet or dry. And a few European Magazines top tire as well. Another good option the oem route are the all season Continentals rf's. Take advantage of AAAs FAN account Cell phone discount.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Themajickman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
The Falken Ziex ZE-912 were also named Grassroots Motorsports Magazine "Low Budget Tire of the Year" so they are good wet or dry. And a few European Magazines top tire as well. Another good option the oem route are the all season Continentals rf's. Take advantage of AAAs FAN account Cell phone discount.

one thing that I forgot to mention about the Falken 912's is that they have a 40,000 mile tread wear warranty.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Just a Thought, you can carry one of those Run Flats as a Spare, I keep a full size 16 inch one in the Boot, I have it tied down to mounting points only thing is the rear shelf does not fit. But i have the peace of mind knowing I have a spare back there just incase