Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake pads and sensor ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
crappie_fisherman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pads and sensor ?

I have I am sure a question that has been asked a thousand times and I apologize in advance for the 1001'st...

The pad sensor came on today...I figured it was getting close since I had to add some brake fluid last week...oh well...

Now my question is I am looking at Friction Master Ceramic pads...does anyone know if these will allow for the pad sensor?

Speaking of pad sensor...do I have to order those separate from Mini or can I get them from the local auto parts place?

How much do the sensors run $$$ wise?

I want to go with a different pad compound because the OEM compound produces so much brake dust.

I've got 53K miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance and any assistance you can share is greatly appreciated from this newbie...

I found an awesome write up on here of the brake job with great photos, etc...so that is my tutorial on this brake job...I've changed plenty of brakes on my other vehicles but this is the first time on the mini...

Joe.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I have I am sure a question that has been asked a thousand times and I apologize in advance for the 1001'st... yep . . .

The pad sensor came on today...I figured it was getting close since I had to add some brake fluid last week...oh well... replace b4 sensor lite and save $$$$

Now my question is I am looking at Friction Master Ceramic pads...does anyone know if these will allow for the pad sensor? dunno, I always use EBC

Speaking of pad sensor...do I have to order those separate from Mini or can I get them from the local auto parts place? VERY unlikely to be at local store, if U find them report and it will be a first as far as I know.... but pads and rotors CAN B found.

How much do the sensors run $$$ wise? $30 a pop from MiniMania
http://new.minimania.com/Search_Inve...h=brake+sensor
note year and front rear differences....

I want to go with a different pad compound because the OEM compound produces so much brake dust. that's why I've used EBC since they first became available. Had them on the 02 'til sale and have them on the 07 since I could get them.

I've got 53K miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance and any assistance you can share is greatly appreciated from this newbie...

I found an awesome write up on here of the brake job with great photos, etc...so that is my tutorial on this brake job...I've changed plenty of brakes on my other vehicles but this is the first time on the mini...

Joe.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:52 PM
crappie_fisherman
1st Gear
capt bj,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of more questions.

The EBC's you speak of...I assume they accept the pad sensor? Is there a particular model/color/grade/name etc of the EBC pads that is recommended on here?

Also is there a preferred on-line discounter that sells them that folks on here use?

I know over on my Ford Excursion forum...we've got a list of sites that tend to sell our parts cheapest...so any clues on here would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the assistance...if you can point me to a good website for the pads and which particular version that would be great!

Sorry for all the questions...

Joe.

Last edited by crappie_fisherman; 11-09-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
crappie_fisherman
1st Gear
double post...sorry...

Old 11-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hawk Ceramic is a good one to consider for lower dust as well!

Alex

Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
crappie_fisherman
1st Gear
Okay...I was able to get EBC Green stuff pads (front) and the front pad sensor shipped to my door for under $90 total...

I got this from http://www.autoanything.com/ ... not too bad a deal compared to what I was finding elsewhere on the web...I'm sure there are better deals...but this one seemed good to me.

They should be here by Saturday...maybe Monday...we'll see.

Any tricks you folks have for the change out of the pads...other than take my time...

The only thing I think I need is a 7mm allen socket drive for my torque wrench...

Thanks for all the advice.

Joe.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
capt bj,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of more questions.

The EBC's you speak of...I assume they accept the pad sensor? Is there a particular model/color/grade/name etc of the EBC pads that is recommended on here? I use EBC Green - I don't race/autocross and find them a good street pad...I put them on b4 my first Dragon trip! Yes one good thing about EBC is they have the sensor slots. & as far as I know they were the first "low dust" replacement available for the GEN2.
Also is there a preferred on-line discounter that sells them that folks on here use?

I know over on my Ford Excursion forum...we've got a list of sites that tend to sell our parts cheapest...so any clues on here would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the assistance...if you can point me to a good website for the pads and which particular version that would be great!

I've bought from both MOSS (MOSSMINI.COM) and MiniMania (Minimania.com) over the years. But first I'd check with your local PepBoys. They carry EBC pads usually and MINI parts are becomming easier to find. My local AutoZone carries 3 different types of pads for a GEN1 MINI. {Since you are new to MINI, go to MOSS and request a free catalog in any case .... then the ideas will begin to flow}. Search 'brake pads' and you'll find easily a THOUSAND opinions on which pad is 'best' 'lowest dust' etc etc.

I'd also note that EBC describes their pad a 'medium dust' so don't expect a dust free pad. Miata sites actually describe EBC Green a high dusting but Miata factory pads, A Series anyway, did not dust ... PERIOD. The dust I experience is WAY WAY less than the factory pads....enuf to make me a return customer

I'm not recommending EBC Greenies, I'm saying I've used them for several years on both GEN1 and GEN2 and have been very happy with the lower dust .... I've installed for locals and I've never had a complaint (of course I do the install work for free so a wise customer does not cut off the possibility of future work at those prices!)

On the other hand I have not run a side by side comparison against other "low dust pads"

Sorry for all the questions...
sorry for the long answers

Joe.
the Captain sends . . .

p.s. do you know how the wear sensor works? You want to know which one you need to replace. There are sensors at the left front and right rear. They work by wearing against the rotor until a wire is broken. Probably only one needs to be replaced but since they are different you need to know which one. OR you can decide to live without the sensor, disect the worn one, splice the wire ends together, zip-tie it out of the way and regularly check your brake pad wear like the old folks do . . .

So .... let me guess ... now you'd like to know how to reset the system to make the brake wear warning lite go out . . .

Last edited by Capt_bj; 11-10-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
crappie_fisherman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
So .... let me guess ... now you'd like to know how to reset the system to make the brake wear warning lite go out . . .
Actually the search turned up some info on that one!

Like I said above...I ended up getting just the front pads EBC green stuff and front sensor shipped to me for just under $90 total so I think I did okay...

I don't mind a little dust...but the OEM pads are nutz ...

I run Hawk LTS pads on my Excursion and a set of ceramics on the mini van (really got tired of the dust on that one...) so any dust reduction the EBC green's give me on the mini are surely welcomed!

Thanks for all the detailed info...the mini is primarily the wifes daily driver...although the mini will be getting ready for her winter hibernation since we are fortunate to have three vehicles...she doesn't need to see the salt and such...the Ex is an obvious winter driving choice here in the mid-west

I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks again!

Joe.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
the fronts are very straight forward, just be sure to lube the contact points and I'm sure you'll be fine. The little spring clip on the caliber is a bit difficult the first time but once you get the hang of it, no biggie. I usually just grab it with a pair of pliers and give a lite tap or two with a small hammer to seat it.

The only twist to the rears is the need to do the push&turn thing which isn't all that unusual but is much easier if you buy or borrow a tool.

btw - did you note that BMW recommends changing the rotors with the pads every time? I usually go two sets of pads to a rotor change but that's the factory recommendation.... Rotor change will only add about 10 minutes per side once you get in there.