Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Nokian WR / WRG2 vs "Real" winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Z06C5R
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nokian WR / WRG2 vs "Real" winter tires?

So I'm unfortunately being forced into replacing 3 perfectly good Wintersport M3's because one blew out last season and I can't source out a replacement in the right size. I'm torn on exactly what to do: I want a tire that has excellent grip and predictability in the snow so when the urge to be a WRC-driver hits I don't instantly slide off the road and blow up - But at the same time, I have to realize that probably 85% of the winter season here in CT is dry, and therefore a really aggressive winter tire would be contraindicated.

I came across Nokian's "All Season Plus" tires recently, and I like the concept: But the big question is how much snow grip would I be trading for dry grip versus a traditional performance-snow tire like my old Wintersports?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I ran WR's for 2 winters and they did not work that great. HOWEVER, they were 225mm wide, so poor snow performance is expected. Aside from that, the sidewalls are nice and stiff for a tire that has a severe weather rating like regular snow tires. I also didnt notice a whole lot of block squirm, which was nice.

That said I dont know how much of that I can attribute to the tires itself or to the stupid wideness of the ones I ran.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I use WRG2's in the winter season, snow only lasts about a day here. They have great snow traction, best I've ever had, yet don't suck in the dry. That was a big thing for me because of the duration of the snow. Mine are 195/55/15.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Z06C5R
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, my summers aren't even 225... But I suppose since you autocrossed them for a few seasons I might have to consider you an expert on Nokians in dry conditions - lol. Knowing my luck, they'll have a stiffer sidewall than my eagle f1's, since those really don't feel much more responsive than my damn snow tires.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I run summer tires now, Sumitom HTRZIII, in 215/45/17, certainly more stiff than the Nokians ever were, more grip too. I just put a set of Firestone Winterforce tires on in 185/65/15 and they feel like gum, much less stiff than the Nokians (but the tread looks awesome).

In the dry they worked well enough to get me close to a couple people on pure summer tires, but I cant help but wonder how much of that was just because I had some of the widest tires in all of our local G-Stock classes for a time, until the GTI showed up on 245mm Star Specs...

I think if you size them kinda narrow, I think they will work quite well as "high performance" snow tire.