Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Another n0ob tire/wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another n0ob tire/wheel question

So I have to admit, I have never ever ever switched tires on cars, let alone the wheel....so I basically have NO idea what to do when getting a new set.

I have an '08 MCS currently with the 16" S-Winders and runflats (Goodyear, it says 195/55R16 I think?). I don't have any clue about what tires or wheels I could get. Or even how to go about getting them ON my car (buy them online and have a tire store put them on...?)

So I'm asking the nice people of NAM for some advice on what to do. I have browsed the tires, wheels, brakes forum and have pretty much just been blinded by numbers...I do know from the sticky up top that I shouldn't be worried about the TPMS to go haywire when I switch, right?

These are the things I'm looking for:
-NON-runflats
-probably another 16" tire
-no need for any special snow tires or anything (I'm in San Diego...jeebus)
-black wheels
-good ride quality as well as a good gas mileage tire (=lighter wheel?)
-no need for autoX or anything, I just basically drive to and from work....

(oh also, do I do brake pads at the point that I get new tires and wheels? I'm almost due for my big first service...is that included with that? I've heard great things about the ceramic brakes...should I just opt for those?)

So, that being said, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, all I know is I don't want my runflats anymore and I'm looking for a sweet black wheel that's not too $$ (the Konig feathers?).

TY - Alana

p.s. how long should these run flats last? I have a couple tires that look like the tread is getting real low and I only have about 16k on the car right now.... runflats wear quicker than non, I'm guessing?

Last edited by MINIchaser; 11-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
These are the things I'm looking for:
-NON-runflats
If you want a good summer tire that has good grip in wet or dry, but still fairly civilized, Michelin Pilot Exhalto PE2 would probably be a good choice for you.

-probably another 16" tire
-no need for any special snow tires or anything (I'm in San Diego...jeebus)
-black wheels
I have a set of Rota Slipstream 16x7 in Gunmetal with polished lip. They are also available in flat black.
http://www.fastmini.net/rotaslipstream.html

The tires on these wheels are 205/55-16. That means they are a little wider than the tires you currently have. The are also larger in diameter. So, the car sits about 1/4" higher than yours does now. 205/50-16 tires are also available. They are a little smaller in dia. than your current tires, but closer. They would be only about 5/16" lower.

There seem to be very few non-runflat tires available in the 195/55-16 tire size you now use.

Larger tire will give you a little bit softer ride, possibly better mpg at highway speeds, and you speedometer will be a little more accurate. Smaller tire will give you a little bit better acceleration and your speedometer will be a little more optimistic. However, these differences will be subtle.

-good ride quality as well as a good gas mileage tire (=lighter wheel?)
-no need for autoX or anything, I just basically drive to and from work....
If you just want a comfortable tire and are willing to give up some handling (and safety) call TireRack and ask for Alex. He can advise you on the best tires for exactly what you want.

(oh also, do I do brake pads at the point that I get new tires and wheels? I'm almost due for my big first service...is that included with that? I've heard great things about the ceramic brakes...should I just opt for those?)
No, brake pads are done when they wear out. Not at the same time as tires.

Your major service will include flushing the brake fluid, but wont change pads unless yours are worn out.

So, that being said, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, all I know is I don't want my runflats anymore and I'm looking for a sweet black wheel that's not too $$ (the Konig feathers?).

TY - Alana

p.s. how long should these run flats last? I have a couple tires that look like the tread is getting real low and I only have about 16k on the car right now.... runflats wear quicker than non, I'm guessing?
How long a tire lasts depends on the model tire. Typically, tires with great grip will wear out fast. Long lasting tires tend to have less grip. So, wont stop as quickly nor handle as well in an emergency. You need to find the balance between safety and economy that you are happy with. For me, safety is more important because I don't put a lot of miles on my car. So, don't wear out tires quickly.

You can take wheels into a tire shop and have them put tires on them. Or, you can order both wheels and tires from TireRack and have a tire shop put them on your car. Alex can tell you about how it is done. Or, talk to someone at a tire shop with a good reputation in your area. Your local MINI club can help with that.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
wow, thanks Robin. That is all very great information! I love the wheels you have on your car. Maybe I just get the exact some set up as you, if you don't mind.

Sorry for my naivety when it comes to this sort of thing. I've never had a car long enough or have loved one enough to want to spruce up the wheels and tires to something a little flashier.

I think I will talk to Alex about getting both wheels and tires from TireRack, as I know their reputation is good. Thanks again!

--Alana

Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Rota RBs 16x7 with Kuhmo ASX 215/50-16s (virtually the same height as the OEM 195s and little under an inch wider)

Last edited by 10Zero; 05-24-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
zero, those aren't runflats either?that's a pretty sweet looking wheel... how is it to clean?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
zero, those aren't runflats either?that's a pretty sweet looking wheel... how is it to clean?
They're not bad at all to clean, I've owned much worse for cleaning. I have them waxed with Wheel Wax, and the dirt and brakedust washes right off. The tires aren't runflats either. These ride really nice, and the traction is impressive in my opinion. They get really good reviews, here's a link to read about them, but I got mine at Discount Tire for $115 each:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=Ecsta+ASX

Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
okay so I've done a little bit of looking around on Tirerack and I need your opinions on the tire/wheel combos? Any body have any experience (or know if these will work w/eachother? ) with any of the following?

Bridgestone Ecopia EP100
Yokohama db Super E-Spec <----really curious about this one
Continental Tire ContiProContact
Bridgestone Potenze G019Grid

with:
Enkei Racing RPF1 or Enkei Performance EDR9
Borbet LV4

again, I'm in San Diego, so no worries about snow or lots of rain even. Also, no runflats...
Thanks in advance...

Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Govtslug
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIchaser-
I'm in the market for tires too - I've got an '08 MCS with the 16" stock run-flats. I just bought a set of 17" Konig Feathers from Alta (the last set of silvers they had so they said), and now it's on to tires. I'm thinking about the Bridgestone G019 Grids. They seem to have good reviews, good mileage warranty, and aren't too expensive. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the original equipment 205/45/17 size or move up to 215/45/17 just for a nicer look.

One thing to remember, your car has tire pressure monitors mounted on the inside of the rims. If you buy a set of tires and rims from TireRack, you need to also have them install new tire pressure monitors (another $200) or your tire pressure light will stay on on your dash. The other option is to tell them not to mount the tires and then have them mounted locally. They can take your old TPMS out of your current tires and transfer them. But by the time you do all that, you can probably get them locally for about the same price. My local Firestone dealer has the 215/45/17 for $114/tire. I'm looking around to see if I can get a better price locally. Good luck with your search!

Tom

Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Tom-
I have to confess I have no idea what those numbers mean (the 215/45/17)....I'm beginning to think there are too many variable for me to screw up if I try to buy these on my own. Maybe I should just go to my local tire shop and pick out new tires and wheels and have them deal with all that!

I thought the TPMS measured the rotations per wheel and there wasn't anything to replace on it? Now I'm really confused.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on all things tire/wheel related. This is really the first car I've had to service and take care of myself. The SA when I went for my Service I the other day was astonished that I hadn't rotated my tires which I didn't even know I had to do. Call it naivety or stupidity. It definitely was a "doh!" moment!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
jgohlke
3rd Gear
215 - width of your tire, in millimeters (bigger numbers, wider tires)
45 - aspect ratio (like on your TV), ratio of height to width. Lower profile tires have lower numbers
17 - diameter of your tire in inches (measured at the wheel rim)

Letters after are "speed ratings".....

The TPMS system is made up of parts both in the car and attached to each of the wheels. You need 1 monitor for each wheel. New wheels don't come with them. You can either take them out of the wheels you have now and transfer them to the new wheels or buy 4 new ones and have them installed on the new wheels. The car expects each tire to be monitored.

Google. It's your friend.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Govtslug
2nd Gear
No problem, we all have to learn somewhere! Those numbers measure the size of the tire: Width/Sidewall height (rim to top of tread)/inside diameter of tire. Your stock 16" wheels were probably 195/55/16. Since I'm moving to a 17" wheel, I'll decrease my sidewall height to 45 so I keep the total outside diameter the same and my speedometer doesn't get messed up. You usually can safely move up a size in width (from 195 to 205 for example) with the same rims. The tires just look a little more aggressive and should give better dry traction. They may hurt gas mileage (probably not much), and may not give as good of traction in the snow.

The older MINIs didn't use a TPMS in the wheel, but the newer ones do. I'm not sure when they changed over, but the '08 definitely have sensors inside that will need to be transferred to your new rims. All the tire shops know about it and I think most can handle it, but it makes it a bit more expensive. I think they will charge you for some kind of new gasket pack for each wheel if you have them swap them from your old rims to your new ones.

A lot of people around here recommend calling Alex at TireRack for advice, evidently he is very familiar with MINIs. Or, just go to your local tire shop, they will explain everything too. Good Luck!

Tom

Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Oh geez! Now I feel so enlightened. Thank you both (jgohlke & govtslug)! I have been wondering exactly what the numbers specifically meant for some time and that's exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'm just going to end up buying the wheels and tires from tirerack (and not having them mounted) and having my local guys put them my car, swapping the old TPMS onto the new set up. probably end up (hopefully) with some 16s again, and the tires to be determined still, I guess. I might just ask what they recommend at the tire place here...

Thanks for your help again
- Alana

Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
If you do that, you wil have to pay to have the new tires unmounted, the tppms installed, then remounted and reballanced.....tire and rim combo from tire rack come pre mounted+balanced...
Just a thought.
Also remeber, 17's look cool, but your ride, handling, and milage my all suffer.....not much, but a bit compared to the 16'. Do you have a convertable gen2?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Just to clear things up, gen1 flat montering system counts tire rotations...nothing to swap to the new car, gen2 cars, the turbo cars, have monitors mounted on each rim, that use radio signals to send preasure info to the car. Good luck!!!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Oooh, guess that's where I got the whole rotations thing from. But yes, I have a 2008 MCS (hardtop). I'm definitely going with 16s...I want a bit of a cushier ride.
So I can't have tirerack send the tires and wheels seperately? (unmounted)?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Govtslug
2nd Gear
Sure, TireRack will ship them unmounted. But they will also mount and balance them for free. Unfortunately, they won't have your TPMS mounted inside (although they will be happy to add new TPMS for $200!). I'd check out the prices locally. For wheels, check out Alta Performance. They seem to be running some good sales on wheels.

Tom

Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Govtslug
2nd Gear
I'm thinking about buying 215/45/17 Bridgestone G019 Grids. Anyone running those? Opinions?

Tom

Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
I was looking at those Bridgestone G019 Grids too, so I'd be curious to know if anyone has experience with them or not, also.
The reviews on TireRack are somewhat good...
kinda interested in the ride comfort being a 7.9/10. But I guess it depends on what you are already conditioned to...what you have to compare it to, rather.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odClar=Hardtop