Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

another tire replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Yorkshireman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another tire replacement question

Hate to ask this again, but I'm looking for thoughts on replacement tires. I've heard the gen 2 07 onwards MCS has suspension that is tuned for run-flats, and that the tire pressure monitoring system is sensitive to not having run flats, therefore you should replace with runflats.

I've been really disappointed with the wet/snow weather performance of the original Dunlop SP Sports. So far, I've narrowed the shortlist to:
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT
  • Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSR
  • Pirelli PZero RFT
  • Yokohama ADVAN Sport ZPS
Does anyone have any experience running any of these tires? What would you recommend? Thoughts on all-weather performance?

Thanks, Yorkshireman

Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing to report on your tire suggestions but your other info is out of whack. The TPMS sensors could care less if the tire they are monitoring is a runflat or not. As far as the suspension being "tuned for the runflats" that's debatable, but anyone who's replaced them with non-runflats will tell you the car rides smoother and less harsh without giving up one iota of handling prowess.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Nothing to report on your tire suggestions but your other info is out of whack. The TPMS sensors could care less if the tire they are monitoring is a runflat or not. As far as the suspension being "tuned for the runflats" that's debatable, but anyone who's replaced them with non-runflats will tell you the car rides smoother and less harsh without giving up one iota of handling prowess.
Spot On. If anything non RF's will add to your handling, more "stick"

Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 AM
TOPLABDOG
2nd Gear
Continentals

I have the stock 16-inch Continentals. I like the ride and they handle well enough for the rallies I have been on. No problem keeping up with the non-run flat crowd

Old 11-20-2009, 10:34 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TOPLABDOG
I have the stock 16-inch Continentals. I like the ride and they handle well enough for the rallies I have been on. No problem keeping up with the non-run flat crowd
Really?

Take 2 identical MC's and 2 drivers of identical ability.. one with runflats, one with "real" tires. Put them on a road course. The non-runflat car will SMOKE the runflat-equipped car, every time. Don't believe it? Drive a car with runflats, then the same car with "real" tires, back-to-back. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out in about a millisecond which way the car performs better.. MUCH better. Anyone who has only driven their car with the original tires has no benchmark to compare. Ask anyone who's made the switch if they'd do it again, and if they're happy with their decision. You'll get overwhelmingly positive responses.

The "tuned for runflats" baloney is just marketing double-speak. All it means is that the car has softer bushings, springs & shock settings, in an attempt to soften the blow of the concrete-like sidewalls and extra weight that runflats bring.

My car is on the boat and will arrive in early December. The runflats will be ditched the first day of ownership.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TOPLABDOG
Tom,

Kevin is spot on. There is a world of difference between runflat and non. No comparison. RF's just suck. Been there and done it. Going into a corner with non RF's is just a joy, no sidewall roll, more 'stick', etc

It's not a question of keeping up, it's being in control

When the RF's wear out. Save yourself a ton of money and get way better performance.

Get a AAA card, donut spare for roadtrips and a roadside kit including jack. You will thank me oh yes you will thank me!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tgs91
...Get a AAA card, donut spare for roadtrips and a roadside kit including jack. You will thank me oh yes you will thank me!
Loaded up for a road trip....and just where do you store the donut spare in/on your car and if you do get a flat and have to change the tire what do you do with your wheel/flat tire, throw it away?

Also mine has a jack. Are MINI's with run flats not supposed to come with a jack?

I will likely install regular tires when my run flats need replacing but i don't see a way to cover the lack of spare. On the plus side flat tires are rare and I've only had one (many many years ago) in all my years/cars of driving.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a world of difference between runflat and non. No comparison. RF's just suck.
I think this would depend on the particular bands and models of tires one is comparing. Some non-runflats have great grip and handling characteristics, some not so much. Same goes for runflats. Depending on what tires you picked, I suspect you could get whatever results you wanted. However, the ultimate in non-runflat tires may beat the ultimate in runflats--depending on what you need it to be ultimate in. Not sure whether there even are any dedicated snow tires in runflat, and a snow tire will beat an all-season tire in the snow by a large margin. In most cases, a good summer tire will beat an all-season tire in the rain as well. The only time an all-season tire is the best choice is below 40F conditions with no snow or ice.

Get a AAA card, donut spare for roadtrips and a roadside kit including jack. You will thank me oh yes you will thank me!
What donut spare fits over the front brakes on an MCS?

Originally Posted by Julien321
Also mine has a jack. Are MINI's with run flats not supposed to come with a jack?
In early 2007 MCS were coming without the jack. Many people complained (huge discussion about it here) and MINI began including the jack kit with the MCS. I believe they still are. My MCS was delivered in May 2007 and came with a jack kit.

I switched to non-runflats early on. I carry a Continental Tire ContiComfortKit, a Dynaplug, and needle-nose pliers. Haven't needed to use them, so can't report on their effectiveness.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
What donut spare fits over the front brakes on an MCS?
Not being a smarta$$, but does it matter? I thought it was unwise to run a donut-spare on the front anyway. The thing to do if the front is flat is to move the rear tire forward and mount the donut-spare on the rear. Is this wrong?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Loaded up for a road trip....and just where do you store the donut spare in/on your car and if you do get a flat and have to change the tire what do you do with your wheel/flat tire, throw it away?

RF MINIs do come with a jack. And we do have to suffer a little on storage if we wanna carry a spare --

I got rid of the RFs, went with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS PolePositions, and LOVE them, even in the wet weather ... as for stashing the donut on road trips, I bought a stock donut and rigged it into the back with three nylon buckle-straps from REI: two six-footers on the sides between the seatback loop and the netting loop, and one two-footer looped through the seatback hinge in the center -- no rattles, $7 total. A small round jumper-cable-bag fits inside the donut center and holds my tools.

Attached Thumbnails another tire replacement question-img_2134.jpg  

Last edited by basil49; 11-20-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by basil49
... as for stashing the donut on road trips, I bought a stock donut and rigged it into the back with three nylon buckle-straps from REI: two six-footers on the sides between the seatback loop and the netting loop, and one two-footer looped through the seatback hinge in the center -- no rattles, $7 total.
So you found a way to squeeze the donut into your car. Lets say you have a flat and use the donut. What do you do with the wheel/tire you removed from the car? Do you leave the wheel/tire, your luggage or your significant other on the side of the road. Just carrying a donut doesn't solve a flat tire problem.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I take my chances without a spare and just carry a BMW mobility kit. BMW M cars do not have runflats - none of 'em - while the entire rest of the line does. But none supply a spare, only the mobility kit, which consists of a pump and a container of sealant.

But in this modern day of cellphones and AAA coverage (and BMW/Mini roadside assitance for that matter), there's a very good chance that a flatbed tow will be nearby, so I doubt I'll ever use the kit anyways. And the other good thing about this approach vs runflats - you will have no problem finding a tire shop willing to patch/plug your tire, whereas many (or even most) shops will refuse to repair a runflat, for liability reasons. Some don't even have the proper mounting equipment to mount/dismount runflats. And if your tire is shredded, good luck finding one in stock.

I haven't had a flat that left me stranded in 36 years of driving, so I'll take my chances. I've picked up plenty of debris that caused slow leaks, but never one that didn't allow me to get to a shop and get the leak repaired.

Regarding runflat performance vs non - the Bridgestone RE050A comes in both flavors. The non-runflat is one of the highest rated tires in its category at Tire Rack, out of about 25 different tires, I believe it was rated #2 last time I looked. Now look at that list and see where the exact same tire, but the runflat version, ranks - second from the BOTTOM, with horrendous scores for noise, ride comfort, and "would you buy again", which was THE lowest score in the entire category. Think about it - considering it's the same tire otherwise, that's a pretty strong indictment.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
So you found a way to squeeze the donut into your car. Lets say you have a flat and use the donut. What do you do with the wheel/tire you removed from the car? Do you leave the wheel/tire, your luggage or your significant other on the side of the road.
Just carrying a donut doesn't solve a flat tire problem.
Well, if it's my EX-WIFE ...

Old 11-20-2009, 04:21 PM
TAS
1st Gear
Originally Posted by basil49
RF MINIs do come with a jack. And we do have to suffer a little on storage if we wanna carry a spare --

I got rid of the RFs, went with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS PolePositions, and LOVE them, even in the wet weather ... as for stashing the donut on road trips, I bought a stock donut and rigged it into the back with three nylon buckle-straps from REI: two six-footers on the sides between the seatback loop and the netting loop, and one two-footer looped through the seatback hinge in the center -- no rattles, $7 total.
Basil49,

This seems the near perfect solution. Is that a OEM donut and which diameter fits over the MCS brakes?
TIA

TAS

Old 11-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OPC
Not being a smarta$$, but does it matter? I thought it was unwise to run a donut-spare on the front anyway. The thing to do if the front is flat is to move the rear tire forward and mount the donut-spare on the rear. Is this wrong?
I keep forgetting about that. Sounds like a pain. I'll keep hoping that the compressor/sealant works, or I don't get a flat.

Originally Posted by TAS
Basil49,

This seems the near perfect solution. Is that a OEM donut and which diameter fits over the MCS brakes?
See above. Only fits over rear brakes. So, if the front goes flat, you have to remove the rear wheel, move it to the front, and put the spare on the rear.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
[OEM DONUT] only fits over rear brakes. So, if the front goes flat, you have to remove the rear wheel, move it to the front, and put the spare on the rear.
Robin is correct; OEM donut is a T115/70-R15 (36-111-509-164 rim + 36-120-418-847 tire), about $150 total with some agressive shopping.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 PM
LostinTX
2nd Gear
No hijack intended, but what size tire? I have a hard time with the speedo error, so 195/60 or 205/55? Suggestions? Bothwould be in the 16 in. flavor.

Last edited by LostinTX; 11-20-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I did some Yoko 205/55s and my speedo error is down to between 1-2 mph compared to my GPS. It was more like 2-3 with the OEM 195/55s. This is on 16s.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a couple of points...

So you found a way to squeeze the donut into your car. Lets say you have a flat and use the donut. What do you do with the wheel/tire you removed from the car? Do you leave the wheel/tire, your luggage or your significant other on the side of the road. Just carrying a donut doesn't solve a flat tire problem.
So, I haven't heard a good answer to this question yet. Other than the use of a "mobility kit" (BMWspeak for a bottle of tire sealant and a compressor). If you carry that, what's the point of the donut spare if there's nowhere to put the full-size flat?

Not too practical on a road trip.

Originally Posted by KevinC

... It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out ...
rocket surgeon?

Is that like a brain scientist or something?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 33EJB
rocket surgeon?

Is that like a brain scientist or something?
I think you would need a rocket theologian.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Think Robin answered most of your questions but let me fill in. I stick the donut spare behind the passenger seat.

Someone asked what about fitting over front brakes. I've heard two theories here. One they just flat out do not fit over the calipers and two that your car will go ape **** with two diff tires on the front. Not sure why it can stand the back's but there ya go

Regardless if you get a flat on the front, take one of the good back ones and move to the front and put the donut on the back tire.

Also instead of paying $200 for a OEM MINI one go to your local junk yard and get one for a Honda Civic. I got one off a 2002 and the bolt pattern and everything is identical. Cost $35

On the plus side flat tires are rare and I've only had one (many many years ago) in all my years/cars of driving.
Exactly

Last edited by tgs91; 11-21-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Think Robin answered most of your questions but let me fill in. I stick the donut spare behind the passenger seat....
....but that's not the answer to the question to you. What do you do with the flat tire? You have to do something with it after you remove it from the car and if you don't have a plan to deal with it what's the use in carrying a donut?

Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If your MINI is so full of stuff that your full sized wheel can't be stuffed inside after you take the donut out, then you're screwed.

But I've rarely seen a MINI that was THAT packed - unless it had more than 2 passengers. In which case you need a trailer or roofrack for roadtrips if you're MY family.

I've hauled around a whole set of four full sized wheels/tires inside my CABRIO, along with other stuff, a driver and a passenger. It can be done.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 AM
TAS
1st Gear
Thx Robin and Basil,

Got it. OEM donut, rear to front if needed. (And carry a second jack.)
I don't see carrying a full tire in back as a problem. If you can fit the donut, you can fit the full sized tire I'm thinking. For me this would only be on a road trip. Very doable.

TAS

Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
If your MINI is so full of stuff that your full sized wheel can't be stuffed inside after you take the donut out, then you're screwed.
Ding Dong, we have a winner. That's the correct answer. Unfortunately once you remove the run flats there is NO foolproof method to deal with a flat. Packing a donut into a loaded MINI may give you a physiological crutch but in reality your no better off.

Quick Reply: another tire replacement question