Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tirerack Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Noz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Noz, one thing you might consider doing.....

I've bought plenty of tires from Tire Rack over the years and consider them a good place to do business, but the last set of tires I bought I shopped price online then went to the closest NTB and asked them to match the deal - which they did. Local business, tires in stock, and I was on my way a couple hours later.

I know you bought a package, but they do sell wheels there too......
Thanks for the heads up, I think I will end up going with something locally. The problem when I tried this before was nobody in this area had anything in a 15 that clears JCW calipers.

(BTW love the name on your 03)

Originally Posted by JRoca
I have been purchasing from tirerack for over 20 years and not once had a problem, My last Purchase was about 3 weeks ago, I also have an unlisted number.
If you have a cell phone maybe list that number with your banks and credit cards, that may help.
What appears to be the problem for me is that I'm a first time customer with them. Even the lady I was dealing with said "Yah if you haven't ordered with us before it can be kind of difficult getting setup." This indicates to me that I'm not the only person this has happened to.

My land line that I provided is listed with my bank and credit card so unfortunately I don't know if my cell would help in this case.

Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
The point is, we have to go through more scrutiny now than ever. Same with buying a home and getting approved for a mortgage. I'm fairly certain identify theft and fraud are serious problems for today's society, even if it's not a life and death situation.
Again I am not buying a house or applying for a mortgage I was simply trying to make a purchase online. Applying for a loan in the hundreds of thousands of dollar range just simply doesn't compare to buying tires online.

If you have a web based business, or any business, there are certain risks involved. If you choose to treat your new customers as highly suspicious potential thieves you can't expect them all to be happy about it.

Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
Here's what you said, "I had even recommended tirerack to all my friends and family. Not now though. Now I'm going to have to relay my bad experience and warn people." Hmmm, we'll just leave it at that.
Since the end of September I've recommended Tire Rack to 7 friends and 4 family members. I directed them to their website for tire reviews, for rim info and pricing (which even with shipping was better than anything from the local shops). Now why wouldn't I warn them about an issue with unlisted phone numbers after I was the one recommending this place? Especially when I know for sure that the 4 family members have unlisted numbers. This isn't a campaign. It's common sense.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Never had a problem with Tire Rack or Alex. Great service.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Noz
1st Gear
Meant to post a small update earlier today but was pretty busy with Christmas a couple of days away.

I got a phone call today from Denise an assistant manager at Tire Rack. Left me a message saying that she would personally vouch for my order should I wish to reinstate it. Unfortunately I had already made a purchase from a shop not far from here.

I pretty much considered this issue dead in the water a couple of days after my last post. I hadn't contacted Tire Rack or sought to escalate my issue to their managers. So I'm not entirely sure how Denise caught wind of it but I consider it a rather nice gesture and good customer service.

So in fairness if I'm going to complain about Tire Rack I should also post when something is made right. Perhaps I will try to order from them again in the future.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
Good of you to add that last post Noz. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Noz, one thing you might consider doing.....

I've bought plenty of tires from Tire Rack over the years and consider them a good place to do business, but the last set of tires I bought I shopped price online then went to the closest NTB and asked them to match the deal - which they did. Local business, tires in stock, and I was on my way a couple hours later.
I bought a pair of tires from a local tire dealer when I needed them more quickly than anticipated . . . I had ordered two previously from Tire Rack but really needed 4 (kids cars are involved). Later I noticed that the two I bought from the local dealer (close to the same time) were several months older than the ones I got at tire rack.

Another time I had a tire destroyed by the local tire dealer when they repaired a flat. They replaced the tire with the same tire except manufactured in Thailand instead of Germany. Maybe it doesn't matter but when I drive them at high speed the thought that all the rubber on my Kawasaki (made in Thailand) has rotted away does cross my mind.