Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What's the point of black rims?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For me it draws attention to your brake calipers and rotors, especially when in motion. But it still has to work with the paint scheme of your car. The louder colors like Chili Red or Yellow are a no-brainer. It looks fantastic. Black mini, of course, BRG with glossy black wheels looks like you took a wrong turn at Le Mans, just amazing. But Blue cars don't seem to work as well for my tastes (Lazer blue is loud enough to work, looks good). I scoured this thread for a Horizon Blue mini with black wheels, nothing. Someone has gold centers on an HzB and that looks really good, but it hides the brakes which is opposite of what I am looking for. Definitely no chrome for me so I'm sticking with stock Silver.

If you are looking for a more elegant look in black wheels especially with a white car (a white car with that blacked out grill, no doubt), go more for the glossy black wheels rather than flat black. They still drop out of the picture in motion and when you stop they still gleam like chrome (as long as you keep them clean). Try it on Tirerack.

Last edited by smoke05S; 02-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 AM
MerchoMini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well keeping them clean is certainly a plus, but i think the right wheels in any color can look good, im powdercoating my s lites neon green for the winter, im sure the op will have a problem with that to tho........

Black wheels are also a great contrast, are aggresive looking, and do u no how many cars there are on the road that have silver chrome or oem color wheels, its nice to be different once ina while.

There are also alot of minis in indy and the majority of them are not modded so when people look at my car i want them to know im not jsut another mini.....

how old are you op? just wondering if theres maybe an age thing going on here.....

Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM
NewBlueMiniCoop
1st Gear
I personally like black rims on cars in general, especially mini's, and hope to buy some in the near future for my HzB/W cooper. thats right white top black rims, eat it! Some might say to go with white rims, but I feel like the car would look too "girly" if I were to do that.

Regarding the "blackout craze" - people have been blacking out their cars for a long time now. Most cars just dont have the ability of blacking every last bit of the car like people do with the mini. Normally you see black car, tints, tinted front/tail lights, black rims. Minis you do that plus the grill, the grill surrounding, the door handles, the beltline(?), anything that can be black, they do it. Myself, I am not a fan of that. I have changed my grill to the JCW one, tinted my windows, tinted side blinker (the orange is just tacky) but will be keeping my chrome surrounding, keeping my silver/chrome beltline, keeping my door handles chrome.. I just hated the chrome non-s grill..

Oh yea glossy black is way better than matte black

Edit: And I am 23 if that makes a difference.. Did not blackout my last car in the slightest, not even tints (black caddy catera with chrome rims)

Last edited by NewBlueMiniCoop; 02-17-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: age and last car for reference
Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Daudi
Neutral
Originally Posted by drfubar
I know there are a lot of owners with black rims; don't get offended but, I don't get the point of black rims.
You can't see the any of the rim's detail. Maybe if you have an all black car and wanted to do the whole "blackout" thing, i can see the point.
I've seen so many people spend a LOT of cash on black rims that you can't appreciate because, well, they are painted black.

Any one else?

No hating please.

well, i have a silver/grey S and black wheels would accent the black-out grille. Black rims just stand out, much like they do on a white/red/blue/orange lamborghini gallardo - just looks more exotic...

my question is: whats the point of a gloss finish on a sports car? that just looks out of place and tacky . .

Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM
drfubar
2nd Gear
I would go for a matte finish paint on a car... but time after time I see a well kept car with black rims and i cant help but say, "You cant see the rims!"

Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 AM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my black rims. I have got more compliments on them than anything else on the car.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I love my black wheels...my factory wheels were silver immediately after detailing...but kind of streaked-anthracite after a day's commute. I have seen some MINIs with white wheels...now that would never work for anyone remotely OCD.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:59 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Black is played out, but silver isn't??

I was iffy on going black, but I can't imagine going back to silver wheels on my current car. Plus, I don't recall getting a single complement on the silver wheels.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Black is just plain cool. (Uh-oh, I've just aged myself.) Black suggests sport, power, racing, performance, etc. And on a JCW, works perfectly. Black is cool. Same with black cameras (remember when they were all silver?), black stereos, black this and that. It's just a cool color. (Or technically, a lack of color.)

Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
wvcruffler
1st Gear
Hmm. I'm thinking I might get mine powdercoated Hot Orange now just on principle!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painted mine with clear paint, but I can still see 'em. Darn.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 AM
rjtrout2000
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my black rims! I think it really sets off the look of my car and makes it look aggressive.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
johnbarleycorn
2nd Gear
For me I like the black because it is a great contrast to my pepper white color. With the black roof, black mirrors and black sills it just compliments the overall color schema of the car. I know to each there own but for me personally I felt black better suited my application. It all comes down to individual taste though.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
stefan740
Neutral
I never really like black rims because u can't see any detaill just like drfubar said in the openingpost but i bought black wheels (which i wanted to paint) but i tried them on my mini and they gave a cool racy look Really dig it now

Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmm hot topic here. I dig black wheels when any other color would just not fit with the package. I am not a black out hero here. I do think that the black out fad is way out of hand. I am dechroming though. I am doing the opposite. I am color matching some chrome with my LBM and some with white like the roof. I also went with white wheels. I tell you want they are a paint but they look good with the rest of the car. I think with all cosmetic modifications done to any car on the market subdued and classy are the way to go.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think with all cosmetic modifications done to any car on the market subdued and classy are the way to go.

Alex

Old 07-04-2010, 05:17 PM
brg bob
2nd Gear
Black wheels? Uhh, not for me! I think they look like crap. just my opinion though. Remember your mileage may vary.