Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brakes!!! OMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
oldstonebuddha
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes!!! OMG

Ok, so I love driving my 2006 MINI S. I have never enjoyed driving a car so much in my life.

With that said, my brake sensor came on and I just callled my MINI Dealer to schedule service. OMFG! almost $1000 for front and back? The dude told me that the MINI requires replacement of the pads, sensors AND THE FREAKING ROTORS! I am at 38,000 miles, so no warranty coverage.

You have GOT to be kidding me. I'm going to trade the sumbich in if that is the case. Say it ain't so!

Is this really the case? Do I have any other options?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Victa
2nd Gear
thats what you get when you go to the dealer for service... i'd call and independent shop for a quote.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
1000$ including the installation? I'm pretty sure you can find cheaper somewhere else! If the brakes aren't covered, I wouldn't bother going to the dealer, there's a lot of places that are cheaper! I'm a mechanic in a toyota dealer and I would rather go to a small garage with a good reputation that will do the same job for less $$$!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do not go to a dealer for out of warranty repair!!! However, you will likely have to replace everything that he said. Most rotors are so thin nowadays that you can no longer turn them. However, you can likely get a better price elsewhere.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
100percentcotton
2nd Gear
I second going to an independent shop. Price should be alot less, I would guess around $500-600

Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I have a guy in CO that can help you out. Just let me know, that is a bit expensive.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Any brake shop can do MINI brakes.....dealers have huge mark-ups on parts and labor.....most of the parts can be bought aftermarket for 50% less for oem equivelent performance......or similar price for higher performance parts.
You will be happiest if you find a good aftermarket MINI shop....or at least a shop that does mostly mini's and bmw's. These shops can cut your expenses by 25% or more....possibly 50% in some situations with aftermarket rather than oem parts that are just as good.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
well mr 1 post

you came here to complain?

why not come here to learn

read a little and try the search and among the things you'll learn to mitigate your dealer's bs . . .

- MINI (and BMW) use a very soft pad and rotor which provides great grip but terrible wear and lots of dust .. my Miata had 100,000 on the original pads and still looked good but I replaced out of principle. My Honda Element has 85,000 and ditto.

- "A" sensor went off and if it does you'll need to replace it. There are two sensors on the car, front left and rear right and most likely ONE went off meaning ONE needs to be replaced and they cost around $30 depending on the source
http://new.minimania.com/Search_Inve...h=brake+sensor

- fronts tend to wear out twice as fast as rears and it is very unlikely at first pad issue that all 4 are gone at the same time.

- MINI says replace the rotors with the pads every time ... but many folks go two sets of pads to a set of rotors

- pads, and rotors, are a pretty easy DIY with a great guide available here or you maybe able to find a clubby near by who can help. (I do pads and rotors for a six pack when U bring the parts and donuts) . The GEN1 has been around and the brakes are very standard. Any decent garage/brake place should be able to do no problem and an averg' automobile cost is around $150 per axle.

- You can probably get GEN1 pads and sensors at your local AutoZone - mine carries 4 different pads for a GEN1 and you don't need to get fancy to get great performance. The stock brakes are generally considered to be over engineered as it is (again .... read THEN rant)

- if you don't want plain and simple then (have I said this yet?) READ the many many posts on the pro/con of many different pad and rotor combinations discussed here.

- learn how to visually inspect your pads for wear (I've posted on here about a half dozen times) and avoid sensor tripping and or dealer ripping you off (ala, I had a dealer tell me I must do pads today despite having changed them myself within 3 months b4 .... I didn't need pads but the dealer felt they had a fish on the line.)

Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Such a friendly Capt BJ you are.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:33 PM
rgc0233
2nd Gear
You don't mention your skill level, but brakes are an easy job on the Mini. At 38K miles, you may not need rotors, but you do need to check the thickness to be sure they are in spec.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Fritzoc
3rd Gear
I echo the DIY. I put new pads on myself with the help of detailed posts on NAM. Very easy - and it was my first time doing any kind of break work. I also replaced the sensors.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
MINICHEF
6th Gear
I see you are in the Denver area. Check out the 5280 club postings. someone on there should be able to help you. I just moved to the Denver area, but dont know anyone. I went over 70k on the original rotors and when I did replace them they were still within specs and that was with 2 sets of EBC greenstuff pads.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:28 PM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
If you don't happen to be mechanical (everybody's got their strengths ), check around for a reputable, reasonable mechanic that has (preferably) some experience w/ European cars - if it works out, make him your friend: the level of fun w/ any car is highly proportional to level of attention it requires ...

Good Luck...

Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
I agree with many on here regarding DIY. The brakes on a MINI are easy to work, really no different than any other car. The sensors will definitely have to be replaced (cheap). Advance Auto Parts even carries good quality rotors (their "Gold" replacements); these exceed OEM standards and are around $110.00 for both front rotors. Pads are as expensive as you are willing to pay. Again, Advance Auto Parts carries pads that exceed OEM standards for around $45.00 each wheel.

Think of it as an opportunity to get to know your MINI better.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:38 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
There is a vendor in Ebay selling OEM Sensors for under 10 bucks, I got a set for .75 cents in auction few weeks ago.

Contact Wayland at Way Motor Works for any brake pads you may need. Doubt your rotors are toast already, but if that's the case Way can set you up with some rotors as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Buy a set of JCW brakes For $498 at Morrisstown MINI they include everyting you need and try a diy or call Way to get help.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Buy a set of JCW brakes For $498 at Morrisstown MINI they include everyting you need and try a diy or call Way to get help.
JCW brakes are 598 plus shipping at Morristown MINI.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini brake pads are small and made of cotton candy. The front pads/rotors on mine were replaced at 26k. A lot of manufacturers are going down the route of big rotors & tiny pad (sweep area), which means more frequent replacements. My '01 New Beetle's front rotor/pad is 4k shy of 100k.

$1000 is too much. For that money I can get new tires and rotors/pads for all 4 corners... OEM junk or better.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
oldstonebuddha
Neutral
Well Mr. 1,444 posts...la de fricken da! I forgot to spot your Brownie Badge for prolific posting.

However, despite the tone, your post had some solid advice, so thanks.

I apologize for the bitching, but I almost crapped my pants after talking to the dealer, and was a still a bit worked up.

Sincerely,
"Mr. 2 Posts".

"well mr 1 post

you came here to complain?

why not come here to learn

read a little and try the search and among the things you'll learn to mitigate your dealer's bs . . ."

Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 AM
oldstonebuddha
Neutral
Thank you everyone!

Thanks everybody for the excellent advice!

I did some more investigation, and "Just Brakes" will do it for $300, and a good independant shop I found will do the same for $350. This is much more reasonable.

I am no mechanic, but I've done brakes before, I may try the DIY route. It is especially good to know that I do not have to replace the rotors as long as they are within spec. Also good to know why my ride creates so much brake dust...

Again, thanks for all the great responses.

Peace

Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 AM
DaveVT02S
4th Gear
First Step: double check the brake pad thicknesses - especially the rears - maybe both ends don't need done. The "second opinions" you got, were they based on 'inspections' or phone quotes?

The biggest issue (trick) w/ this job is the "twisting" of the rear caliper pistons to re-set...

Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 AM
newbs49
Banned
Good Luck with your brakes. You should be able to get rotors, pads and sensors for about $150.00 or less if you shop around.

DIY

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Make sure to replace the rotors with the pads, the stock rotors are soft. I just did my wife's and my MINIs. It is an easy DIY- the back is a little trickier since they must be turned and pushed in at the same time. I can do all 4 corners in less than an hour. I got a good deal on rotors and agressive pads from Tire Rack.

BTW, 38K should only require the fronts not the rear.. both our rear brakes lasted to 70K and we drive them hard.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually, depending on how and where you drive you may have to replace the rears before the fronts - I know I did. But that was probably due to the 4 track dasy I had on the pads...

The DSC's interveening as I was learning the limits of my '03's handling on the track was said to be the culprit.

Likewise, they replaced the rears on my wife's Audi at 36K, the fronts are still going fine, and no - she did not leave the handbrake on or track the car.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you take a look at Tire Rack, you'll find OEM type stuff runs as follows:

Front Pads -- $26 to $75

Front Rotors -- $34 to $90

Rear Pads -- $26 to $70

Rear Rotors -- $26 -- to $90

You can find track stuff for about 2 or 3 times those prices, but even if you pick the best, its hard to get to $1000.00

To underscore what has already been said, Mini brakes are really easy to work with. I did it on our 2005 in under an hour and less than $200 in parts, including replacing both front rotors and buying the sensors.

If you can change the tires, you can probably change the brakes.

Really.

Quick Reply: Brakes!!! OMG