Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help with summer rim/tire size for 06 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
greanbeanie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with summer rim/tire size for 06 MCS

Hi all. I'm back with tire questions. Have been poking around the forums again, but the summer tires have me stumped. I have a new-to-me '06 MCS. I live in Maine, so purchased a set of 15" steelies and am running studded snows right now.

I may be optimistic, but I'm thinking it will soon be time to change to summer tires. I have 17" rims that came with the car, with BALD runflats. I'd like to get a smaller, second set of rims with summer tires.

I have NO idea where to start. The frost heaves wore thin quickly on the runflats, and I was really relieved to switch over to the 15" regular tires. I like the zip of the MINI in traffic and getting on and off the highway, but I'm no race car driver. I'm happy to trade some technical performance for comfort, and am wondering whether I'd be better off with 15" or 16" rims for summer? I know I'd like to skip the runflats. I think I can figure out brands once I get started, but I'm really muddled on the rim and tire sizes.

Thanks in advance! This math-challenged girl really appreciates any help!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
I do believe that most folks would agree that the run-flats are a poor quality ride, particularly on the 17" rims.

But I also believe that most folks would suggest that some quality non-runflat rubber would make a huge improvement, both in regard to tolerating the frost heaves and such, and also with regard to traction.

Are you determined to chuck the 17" rims? If so you'll get a host of good alternatives for both rims and tires.

If you aren't, and are willing to just put some good tires on those rims, then you might be quite happy and have a smaller dent in your wallet.

I'd open the bidding with Dunlop StarSpec tires -- the ride quality is good, the performance is outstanding both wet and dry, and the mileage is in the 10-15,000 range depending on how hard you drive.

Tell us a bit more about your priorities and preferences, and I suspect folks will contribute their own experience to give you some ideas.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 02-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agreed, that non runflats in 17" would offer a better ride. 15's would ride even better as you have now, but the tall sidewalls may not feel as precise for cornering unless you pick high performace tires. 16's are a blend of both ideas.

What do you like the look of?

I peronally like the small wheels, and taller sidewalls
- but its personal preference.

Alex

Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 PM
greanbeanie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Charlie and Alex. I guess I was assuming that 17" non-runflats wouldn't work on the 17" rims (this is what I meant by math-challenged!). I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks, but I'm also willing to spend a little more up front in order to have longer-lasting tires. If I have better options, in terms of both tread wear and comfort, in 15" or 16" rims, I'll start looking for rims now -- I figure a little advance hunting might land me a used set, but I am guessing I'll end up spending $400-600 on the rims alone. At least it's tax-return season!

I don't think I'm tuned into the performance or the aesthetics enough to notice much of a difference in either look or cornering on 15" or 16" rims, but maybe I'd surprise myself? On my previous car, a Jetta, I did always get tires with the higher speed rating as I'd heard horror stories about tires without the right speed rating warping. I have no qualms about paying for solid tires that will last a while. I drive about 25,000 miles a year, split between the summer and winter tires (more time spent on summer tires).

Is there a huge difference in longevity or handling between 15" and 16" rims? If 15" tires last longer, I might be tempted to go that way, but if there's not a heck of a lot of difference in wear I might lean toward 16" if they do handle a bit better.

Thanks again!