Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Let's talk UTQG

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk UTQG

I am aware that UTQC talks about tread life for tires. Is UTQG ratings different for different makers?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
I'm considering 220 UTQC Dunlop tire. I want to know what kind of mileage to expect. TIA

Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
nein51
1st Gear
UTQG came about out of the Magnusson-Moss act. However, it is virtually useless in terms of real life information.

Couple of serious limitations:
You CANNOT compare UTQG between tire manufacturers (so no Bridgestone to Goodyear comparisons, for example).

Each manufacturer grades their own products as a comparison to other products within their own tire lines.

Traction is neither a measure of cornering ability nor a measure of wet grip (anyone and I mean anyone can make a decent dry tire).

All tests are done in a lab, there is no real world testing.

Now, to your question, there is no way to answer that A lot of people like to think that if you divide UTQG by 10 you will get the answer to mileage but it doesnt work that way. So, some would tell you that a 220 should give you about 20k miles.

When it comes to performance tires so much depends on driving habits. In my M5 if I got 6k miles on a set of rears I was overjoyed but I know guys on that forum who regularly got 12-15k on the same tire.

Personally, I am not a Dunlop fan but I know plenty of people who swear by them.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Thanks Nein...I remember slapping some Pirelli Zero Rosas on my 97 M3...and oh they lasted like 15K...LOL.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
nein51
1st Gear
To be fair, UHP or Max Performance tires really arent meant to last long. If you are looking for something to last a while you will likely need to step down to an H speed rating...but you will give up performance and handling. Otherwise, you should be prepared for tire changes in the 15-25k mile range. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, depends on your driving habits.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Govtslug
2nd Gear
+1 on what nein51 said. You really aren't supposed to compare tire wear ratings across brands. But, if the tires you are looking at are rated at 220, you can be pretty sure they will wear relatively quickly. And, I'm willing to bet that if you look at a tire rated 600 (even in another brand), it will probably wear longer. Beyond that, it's hard to say. I prefer to use tire wear warranty for comparisons. The warranty benefit might not be that great, but a mile is a mile. And that's probably the manufacturer's best estimate of treadlife.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. However, it is virtually useless in terms of real life information...You CANNOT compare UTQG between tire manufacturers...
Each manufacturer grades their own products as a comparison to other products within their own tire lines.
Agreed

Traction is neither a measure of cornering ability nor a measure of wet grip
UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance.

All tests are done in a lab, there is no real world testing.
The temerature grade is established by measuring a loaded tire's ability to operate at high speeds without failure by running an inflated test tire against a large diameter high-speed laboratory test wheel.

Traction and treadwear are real world tests. Treadwear in my opinion is very subjectve and better address as a marketing tool.

Traction and treadwear test processes are available here.

Tire Tech on Tirerack.com is a valuable reference point.

Alex