Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do I Need To Replace The Brake Sensors If The Light Is Not On?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
jazztronikk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I Need To Replace The Brake Sensors If The Light Is Not On?

I just had two front break pads replaced because they were worn out. The warning light never came on...

I'm planning to replace the rear break pads as well because I'm almost down to 20%... and am wordering if I need to replace the sensor.

I'm very confused about the sensors, I've read that when the warning light comes on, the only way to remove the light is to replace the sensors.

Well the warning light never came on for my Mini, should I still replace the sensors? How does the sensor work? When do I need to replace them? So confused...

Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
The sensor is just a wire the gets broken when it rubs against the rotor...they cost about $20.
If the light does not turn on, the sensor is fine, and may be reused.
One word of caution...my rear sensor was stuck to the pad, with glue or something...and broke when pulled from the pad. If this happens..simply cut the wire further back, twist the wires together, and wire tie it out of the way.
I not sure how gen2 cars are, but this is how gen1 cars are. The sensors are mediocore at best, as they only monitor one pad, on one wheel......so IMO they are not really needed, as they only have a chance of telling you it is time for a brake job...if you are a conctience driver, rotate tires, etc, it is very easy to keep an eye on pad thickness.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 02-26-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Zippy said.....if you check your brakes routinely, then remove the sensor from the pad and tiewrap it off somewheres out of the way. Before the light comes on.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
jazztronikk
1st Gear
Thanks, I think that is what I will do with the sensors.. tuck them away. Since I do rotate/check my wheels regularly.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
timmyjimmy5150
Neutral
Quick question:
If I am changing my front pads and the sensor did not go off --- when I put my new pads in, can I just detach the sensor wire from the front left caliper & tie it up and out of the way someplace? Then the warning would never go off in the cabin, right?
My computer shows 1000 miles until front brake service --- If I put the new pads on and tie away the sensor off the caliper --- then it should not go below the 1000 mile reading on the computer --- correct?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
bmwrider79
Neutral
sensor wire question

Just replaced the front sensor wire during a front brake job.

back sensor not touching yet.

But the light on dash is still on???

Any ideas?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:13 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmwrider79
Just replaced the front sensor wire during a front brake job.

back sensor not touching yet.

But the light on dash is still on???

Any ideas?
You probably need to reset the dummy lite. Sorry, don't know how, but I am sure that is what it is. I am sure it acts the same as when you swap wheels with different sensors. The ecu needs to be told about the change...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
joshknot
3rd Gear
So I just completed a full replacement of pads and rotors, front and rear. I tackled this job before the 'BRAKE' warning light ever came up on the dash; the OBC showed 4000 miles until I needed from brakes, and 3000 miles until I needed the worry about the rears (preemptive strike was due to new wheels/tires and a disdain for brake dust).

The work itself went great (short of needing to drill out 2 Torx-50 set screws), but I can't figure out how to reset the OBC brake service interval countdowns.

I have read elsewhere how to access the service menu, and I've successfully gotten into the service menu numerous times (to reset the oil service interval, for example) with no issue. When in the service menu, when I highlight either the front or rear brakes and select 'RESET' the computer pauses for a moment as if it's resetting, but the the same old number just pops up.

I'm under the impression that the brake pad sensors are one-shot deals that would simply trigger at a minimum thickness: both my front and rear sensor are still intact and the light never came on. How the hell do I reset the brake service interval countdown??? The dealer suggested that I needed to replace the sensors in order for the countdown to reset, but he "wasn't sure" about that.

Can anyone provide any guidance?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
if you have a brake service count down then you must have a GEN2 right?

see the sticky under GEN2 problems/issues

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...procedure.html

these service indicatiors are simple counters being guesitmated by the computer and have no physical sensor; must be manually reset.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 AM
joshknot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
if you have a brake service count down then you must have a GEN2 right?

see the sticky under GEN2 problems/issues

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...procedure.html

these service indicatiors are simple counters being guesitmated by the computer and have no physical sensor; must be manually reset.
Thanks for the response, BJ- but unfortunately it looks like a number of people on the GEN2 thread have the same issue I do; I can get into the service menu to reset the counter, but it doesn't reset. When you say 'manually reset' is there some procedure outside of the OBC that I need to follow? Maybe just unplug and re-plug the brake sensor cables? The sensors themselves are still intact...