Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought these tires a few months back and only have positive things to say about them.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:56 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
I have 400 miles on the Envigors now. The noise I mentioned in my last post was annoying enough that I brought it back to the shop. They rotated front to back just to see if there was a defective tire and checked the alignment. The noise is still there (maybe even a little worse now).

I'm a little concerned about the alignment specs they used because the heading on the printout says:

MINI:R55 Clubman (2008 - ):One/Cooper/Cooper S (Series/Sport Suspension) with 16" Wheel

I have a 2008 R56 Cooper S with 16" wheels (no sport suspension)

The alignment specs they used are:

Front
Camber -0.7 deg each wheel
Castor +4 deg each wheel
Toe +.04 deg each wheel

Rear
Camber -1.6 deg each wheel
Toe +.18 deg each wheel

Does anyone know if these are the correct stock settings?

TIA

Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by playtowin
I'm a little concerned about the alignment

Front
Camber -0.7 deg each wheel
Castor +4 deg each wheel
Toe +.04 deg each wheel

Rear
Camber -1.6 deg each wheel
Toe +.18 deg each wheel

Does anyone know if these are the correct stock settings?

TIA
You cannot really adjust castor.

Toe should be as close to zero as you can for both the front and rear.

Not sure what you are using to get front camber, but the stock front camber is near zero. However, more negative camber is better for initial turn in. You can adjust camber up to -2.0 without much substantial tire wear as long as you like twisties. I would stay around -1.4 for rear camber, near stock specifications.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by slinger688
You cannot really adjust castor.

Toe should be as close to zero as you can for both the front and rear.

Not sure what you are using to get front camber, but the stock front camber is near zero. However, more negative camber is better for initial turn in. You can adjust camber up to -2.0 without much substantial tire wear as long as you like twisties. I would stay around -1.4 for rear camber, near stock specifications.
Do you have the stock settings with tolerances? Based on the settings I listed in my previous post, it sounds like front and rear camber are OK. Is the toe of .04 front and .18 rear close enough to zero?

Could any of these adjustments have an impact on road noise? The noise I have is like a low whine, and it's worse going around curves.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Do you have the stock settings with tolerances? Based on the settings I listed in my previous post, it sounds like front and rear camber are OK. Is the toe of .04 front and .18 rear close enough to zero?

Could any of these adjustments have an impact on road noise? The noise I have is like a low whine, and it's worse going around curves.
This thread is about Yokohama Envigor tires.

Search for info on stock alignment for your 2008 MINI. You're doing fine and your noise is not related to alignment. Noise from your tread (worn?) most likely. Old tires have hard rubber and are often noisy.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 AM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza Grid 019 vs Yokohama Avid ENVigor in 215 45R17

Originally Posted by Acrobatikdan
I got these tires about a month ago.

The ride comfort and noise levels are unbelievable. Better than: the stock runflats, Goodyear Eagle F1 (summer), Dunlop Direzza Sport (summer), and Bridgestone Ponteza (all seasons).

The grip is lacking. It feels so loose in the corners. The Pontezas had much better dry handling.

SNOW TEST
I had the opportunity this morning to test these out in the snow heading to work. 2 inches of snow. The grip is mediocre. It's what you would expect from all seasons. So Pat's Fan, if you are fine with your stock all seasons the Avid Envigor's will be fine for you.

I, on the other hand, have decided to buy some Blizzaks. I had trouble getting up the driveway to my office, and I just got a job in Pittsburgh where it's nothing but hills. So there is no way these tires will be able to get me around there.
I'm in Chicago, I'm considering Bridgestone Potenza Grid 019 vs Yokohama Avid ENVigor in 215 45R17.. It snows pretty bad here sometimes, probably similar to PA, maybe worse. At least it's flat here. What would you or anyone else suggest?

I need to buy these ASAP...thanks!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
For snow AND ICE, get Blizzaks. For deep snow Dunlop Wintersport M3. I have one set on each on my 2 Mini's so I have had the opportunity to test them. All Season tires are great for rain but start to lose traction when the temperature drops into snow. Both those snow tires are very quiet.

S.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thevastdifference
I'm in Chicago, I'm considering Bridgestone Potenza Grid 019 vs Yokohama Avid ENVigor in 215 45R17.. It snows pretty bad here sometimes, probably similar to PA, maybe worse. At least it's flat here. What would you or anyone else suggest?

I have the Grids and my father has the ENVigors (both Minis of course). Both work extremely well. The Envigors are a little "softer" in terms of cornering so I can definitely corner a little better in the Grids but the treadlife of the ENVigors will last a little longer than the Grids.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
ENVigors

Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
I have the Grids and my father has the ENVigors (both Minis of course). Both work extremely well. The Envigors are a little "softer" in terms of cornering so I can definitely corner a little better in the Grids but the treadlife of the ENVigors will last a little longer than the Grids.
I was going to replace my All Season General Altimax HP (once they wear out) with the ENVigors on my MCa, which is just a cruiser and not a high performance ride. Comfort is the goal with the MCa.

S.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
yes the ENVigors will provide more cushion on everyday driving.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
thevastdifference: New Grid 019s were on our Mini when we bought it used several months ago. We like those tires, but from the info at Tire Rack, I think I'd prefer the ENVigors.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Acrobatikdan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thevastdifference

Since the roads you will be driving on are flat, I think you will be able to manage OK with either.

The Grids were a more enjoyable tire when driving spiritedly. They gripped better than the ENVIgors in my opinion and the tread life was fantastic.

The ENVigors surprised me because they were the quietest tire I have put on so far out of the stock run flats, 2 sets of summer tires, 2 sets of all seasons, and winter tires. It was really nice. The decrease in noise isn't that huge compared to the Grids though.. Road noise really bugs me and the Grids were fine.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
This thread is about Yokohama Envigor tires.

Search for info on stock alignment for your 2008 MINI. You're doing fine and your noise is not related to alignment. Noise from your tread (worn?) most likely. Old tires have hard rubber and are often noisy.
I have brand new Envigors. Most people on here have commented that they are quiet but I find them to be very noisy on most roads, even noisier than the original runflats with 30k miles on them. I'm just trying to find out if there could be another reason for the noise.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have brand new Envigors. Most people on here have commented that they are quiet but I find them to be very noisy on most roads, even noisier than the original runflats with 30k miles on them. I'm just trying to find out if there could be another reason for the noise.
It sounds like you may have one or more defective tires, or some other issue with your car.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 AM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the yoko avid envigors for about 6 weeks. I like the ride. It is softer than the gy eagle rsa runflats i had. 8 out of 10 in dry conditions. Not as bumpy. Indy has seen alot of snow. I would give the avid envigors a 6.5 out of 10 in the snow. Decent traction but far from great. I can't imagine how bad it would be on summer tires. If you see much snow and can afford it I would recommend the summer/winter tires approach. These are acceptable for the snow but that is about it. I would like to run summer tires until it's getting down to below 40 at night and then switch to these yokos or perhaps a winter tire if we continue to get so much snow.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
JBC4317
4th Gear
I've got 3000+ miles on mine and they don't make a sound! EllCapitan sounds like he's on track Playtowin... Take 'em back. These are great tires and you must have some lemons on those rims. Hell, maybe it's your rims or bearings. Either way, sorry to hear that you have had some bad luck with the Envigors. Good luck.

Last edited by JBC4317; 01-18-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by XXLil MickXX
I would give the avid envigors a 6.5 out of 10 in the snow.
I was considering these for the winter, but a friend who has them told me that traction in snow is less than acceptable.

I went with dedicated summer/winter tire solution. The only issue is that I can't affort a second set of JCW wheels at the moment, so I pay $100 each time I switch sets. (I'm saving up for the new black JCW wheels that are available on the 2011 models).

Thanks for the honest feedback.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Teibito
I was considering these for the winter, but a friend who has them told me that traction in snow is less than acceptable.

I went with dedicated summer/winter tire solution. The only issue is that I can't affort a second set of JCW wheels at the moment, so I pay $100 each time I switch sets. (I'm saving up for the new black JCW wheels that are available on the 2011 models).

Thanks for the honest feedback.
No tire will do everything perfectly, it's going to be a compromise of sorts depending on what your needs are.

For those that do have cold weather but minimal or occassional snow the ENVigor is not a bad choice.

From tirerack some owner ratings for Ultra HP vs HP All season tires tells the story of which tires would give better snow handling and traction if that is of importance to you.

UHPAS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

HPAS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

In 205/45-17
AVID ENVigor $114 each 560 treadwear 22 lbs, V speed rated
Continental ExtremeContact DWS $104 each 540 treadwear 20 lbs, W speed rated

In 215/45-17
AVID ENVigor is W speed rated and UHP not HP All Season
$106 each 24 lbs
This size is for W speed rated (handles heat better at higher speeds) which is not as comfortable riding as the H and V speed rated versions. You would choose it based on size but you can use the 205/45-17 size which is fine for both MCS and MC. Tread design is same with various speed ratings.

In 205/50-16
AVID ENVigor $97 each 21 lbs
ExtremeContact DWS $100 each 19 lbs

In 185/65-15
AVID ENVigor $73 each 19 lbs, H speed rated

Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JBC4317
I've got 3000+ miles on mine and they don't make a sound! EllCapitan sounds like he's on track Playtowin... Take 'em back. These are great tires and you must have some lemons on those rims. Hell, maybe it's your rims or bearings. Either way, sorry to hear that you have had some bad luck with the Envigors. Good luck.
I'm due for service so I'm going to have the dealer rule out anything else like bearings. If they can't find another reason for the noise, I'll try to take them back. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
JS02
Neutral
Has anyone compared this tire to the michelin pilot exalto A/S tires ?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 AM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
No tire will do everything perfectly, it's going to be a compromise of sorts depending on what your needs are.
Thanks for the information on the different speed ratings of the Envigor depending on size.

BTW - your dashboard looks awesome.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 PM
JBC4317
4th Gear
Going to Thunderhill in the morning. If it's still raining hard like tonite, it'll be nice to finally see how these things feel in the real wet. Track time on Sunday is supposed to be without much water so that'll be another chapter to write. I'll drop back in Monday or Tuesday and let you guys know the results...

Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 AM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JBC4317
Going to Thunderhill in the morning. If it's still raining hard like tonite, it'll be nice to finally see how these things feel in the real wet. Track time on Sunday is supposed to be without much water so that'll be another chapter to write. I'll drop back in Monday or Tuesday and let you guys know the results...
Let us know how they handle on the track for sure. Mine came in from tirerack this week and I plan on putting them on today.

Kevin

Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 AM
JohnnyMCS
1st Gear
These are 3 season tires. I have no complaint in dry/rain conditions...but in the snow I feel like I have no control. Mustangs are passing me up on the highway and the car feels like it will spin at any moment. Boo on Yokohama for marketing these tires as all season...never again! I should have purchased the Continental DWS or went back to my old stadby...Dunlops!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 AM
peter314
5th Gear
My tires have been alright so far, about 3000 miles also by now. Snow I would have expected better but they are an overall improvement from the OEM run-flats in that category too. Seem to be quieter than the old tires and do soak up the bumps better but I think I still want it to be quieter. I'm going to start with a few layers of sound deadening in the wheel wells when the weather clears up.

Also, I went and got an alignment and that seems to have helped out my mileage greatly too strangely enough, When I put them on and was having issues with them sucking down gas the car seemed like the alignment was fine, No excess noise, no wandering either way. But I guess something was out of alignment and causing enough extra resistance to make a difference.

Also *shakes fist at JCB* Damn you and your nice weather and race tracks! why must it be 34 degrees here in New England!
Have fun and let us know how they are at the limit!

Quick Reply: Yokohama Avid Envigor Anyone?